• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

:headbang: The books have been out for awhile though... it is hard to find a 9.9 or 10 of the first arc for sure.
Wasn't a fan of the lower right hand front corner of the other #3 CGC 10 either. Like always, I kept the "perfect" one.

Yeah, the scuffing(from neighboring books, their staples or fingernails) alone in the rough area outside the embossed sections, will make it impossible for many. You see this alot on the first two issues and their second prints(kudos for Cher for "turning back time" and "finding a way" to get a 9.9 second print of #1 years later).

well he said he hear back from cgc and they are still going through the books apparently (shrug) I'm thinking chery is right & he didn't quite send them off when he said he did .... hm(shrug) he said we sent in around 50 + books this time around

No worries ... i just bid it up. Hope i can win it. ...

:hi: Welcome to the Boards Matt (if that is your name - I'm assuming so!) - and to Locke & Key. Are you putting together a registry set or collecting raw??

Hey thanks for Welcome - in the end it'll be a registry set, but for now, it's about grabbing the books first. I typically like to read a copy (not the variants, just the basic issue) then find a graded copy for the long term ... :insane:

Edit: yes, my name is Matt ... :cool:

Edited by MattP

Honestly I'd just skip that & buy the hard covers :) then focus your time on the singles. So how is the bidding going ?

Well, so far so good. I'm a lot higher than i wanted to be and have hit a mark where i prolly won't go any further ... but, you only live once - right? :preach:

WOW RI of Welcome to Lovecraft is at $122! Seriously, I didn't know it was such a hot book.

Locke & Key is HOT right now... only to rise more - we hope. So it's time to get that extra Welcome to Lovecraft special edition variant out and get it graded... :)

My six-book first arc set just sold on eBay and it was out there less than 24 hours. Wow.

If you want them slabbed, get 'em now. I think these will only go higher!!!

someone will post if joe/gabe ever pop up at a convention right ?.

Joe seems to be doing signings at book stores or libraries because he is promoting his PB edition of HORNS. It would surely make a lot of sense if he were to visit a large con before the TV series comes out... but who knows. He and Gabe promoted the comic alot the year it came out and attended alot of cons, but he doesn't seem to be doing that too much anymore.

Honestly I'd just skip that & buy the hard covers :) then focus your time on the singles. So how is the bidding going ?

Well, so far so good. I'm a lot higher than i wanted to be and have hit a mark where i prolly won't go any further ... but, you only live once - right? :preach:

Totally worth the price if it ends up being a 9.8. I've won a few IDW auctions and the condition is hit or miss. Could be anywhere from a 9.2 to a 9.8/9.9.

So are you the guy that outbid me earlier today? I will push this book up more since I missed out on a 9.8 graded back in nov/dec.

WOW RI of Welcome to Lovecraft is at $122! Seriously, I didn't know it was such a hot book.
I believe it had a 100-150 print run, with about 25 or so actually dispersed to dealers for the 1:10 ratio. At the time, alot people were saying Locke & Key, was not hot anymore and an overhyped book(Stumptown, Choker, etc...), so retailers didn't want to risk ordering a reprint with a $6 price tag. I have always compared this variant to the Ultimate Spider-Man Target Variant #1, based on it's scarcity.

So are you the guy that outbid me earlier today? I will push this book up more since I missed out on a 9.8 graded back in nov/dec.

It could have been a "gal" ya know....