• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

It's a fantastic book. Jerel got me started on it (and kept me supplied in most cases), and I'm bloody glad he did. I'm only in for the HCs now but I really do enjoy reading them, and they look fantastic on my bookshelves.
hm

I notice you have that "low" grade 9.9 in your sig. Sup with that lol

It is the greatest single embarassment to my set. I totally understand why the judges didn't select my set for best Modern Age Set. lol

No, the #2 books had a production issue that kept them out of the Gem Mint arena. It was not graded higher because of ever so slight overhang. I have had 4 9.9's of this issue and this was the best looking one. I think it's still posted in the CGC Gallery too. So, I proudly put it with my Gems until a real Gem materializes.

I thought CGC did not take production flaws into account on their grading. Do you think CGC is aware of the overhang production flaw? Or will CGC never give a book a 10 if it has production flaws (shrug)

Regardless your L&K registry set is very impressive (thumbs u

Just poking some fun is all.
I know. ;)

A CGC 10 of this book is a grail of mine(that and a 9.8 Creepshow signed by Joe). I believe there is a circle of sellers I know, hunting for one for it's bounty, lol . Production defects are tricky because it's uber-graded, graders notes are unavailable, so it's what my eye sees on the majority of them and what to look for. It's a shame with 19 9.9 grades and not one CGC 10 has been realized, but I have to say, for now, I'm extremely happy with this book from what I have seen of the others.

I read the first HC, enjoyed it quite a bit. It didn't really hook me until around midway through issue four though. Not necessarily a bad thing. Jerel's summary of the structure of the series (which I just read for the first time) articulates well my feelings about it. First mini series = prologue for the first real arc (which is apparently Head Games + Crown of Shadows), I think Lovecraft has to be read all together, to do otherwise is to do it a disservice. Whoever wrote earlier in this thread that they couldn't get into the title and dropped it after issue two, but then picked it up later and didn't understand how they missed the greatness the first time may have been right the first time. Not because the individual issues are bad, but that they are incomplete. I think that with the exposition out of the way, it is likely that future arcs individual issues will feel more substantial too me (as issue five did), but I guess there's only one way to find out. I have to read at least Head Games before I'm sure if I'm really into this, though I suspect that once I get into that, the hook will be set. You've won Round One, Hill!

Just placed my order on Amazon for all three hardcovers. I'm really looking forward to dedicating some time to a nice slow stroll through all three.

Speaking of slow, anybody else bummed about the two month wait between the first and second issues of Keys to the Kingdom?

Speaking of slow, anybody else bummed about the two month wait between the first and second issues of Keys to the Kingdom?
Yeah, I was like :censored: , when I saw #2 was coming out on the 20th next month! But, I'm sure the story about Kinsey lost in the woods with crazy old Erin Voss will be a great Halloween treat. :wishluck:

I had my own little Locke & Key adventure while hanging out and talking to a baby sparrow bird(who fell out of it's nest) to tide me over though. It was just sitting by me and chirping away to me while looking up for it's mother to fly by and see it. My Facebook friends are gonna freak when they see the sad video I shot of us. Pretty heart-breaking to watch this youngster hoping for it's mother to come, when she might not as it got darker. Only in New England.

It's all in the subtle details of this book that makes it so scary.

Did anyone notice the passengers on the bus of issue #4 resemble Sam Lesser's dysfunctional famly's household. The bus driver has the same silver streak in his hair like his abusive dad, another passenger eats from the same hot dog franchise of what's on his dad's shirt, another guy has an eyebrow piercing like his mom does and there is a baby. It becomes apparent that's how Sam reasons with his homicides he does in this series by putting his family's faces on innocent bystanders.

Did anyone notice the passengers on the bus of issue #4 resemble Sam Lesser's dysfunctional famly's household. The bus driver has the same silver streak in his hair like his abusive dad, another passenger eats from the same hot dog franchise of what's on his dad's shirt, another guy has an eyebrow piercing like his mom does and there is a baby. It becomes apparent that's how Sam reasons with his homicides he does in this series by putting his family's faces on innocent bystanders.

Wow, that's tremendously insightful, Jerel. hm

Wow, that's tremendously insightful, Jerel. hm

I can't help to not re-read this series after every new issue. In the same issue #4, Sam Lesser tells Rendell Locke to cough up the key to the Black Door and Rendell's reply, "Huh. Cough it up... That's almost funny, but I don't know why" and then a couple story arcs later we get the big final page reveal of where the key was in Crown of Shadows #6. It just blows your mind that the ending and answers might be right there in issue #1, but we can't see them.

:signofftopic::sorry: But have any of you read/going to read Whispers in walls 6 issue mini:

“A gothic tale of horror from David Muñoz (co-writer of Guillermo Del Toro’s THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE film) and artist Tirso. Czechoslovakia, 1949. What Evil lurks within the walls of an ancient Children’s Infirmary? After the murder of her parents Sarah, a young orphan, is about to discover just that.“

hm

:signofftopic::sorry: But have any of you read/going to read Whispers in walls 6 issue mini:

“A gothic tale of horror from David Muñoz (co-writer of Guillermo Del Toro’s THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE film) and artist Tirso. Czechoslovakia, 1949. What Evil lurks within the walls of an ancient Children’s Infirmary? After the murder of her parents Sarah, a young orphan, is about to discover just that.“

I suppose the worst thing about it being on Fox is that will cancel it like so many other genre shows if it doesn't find it's audience immediately. rantrant

:(Rest In Peace... Dollhouse, Firefly, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Tru Calling, Dark Angel, The Tick, Profit, Wonderfalls, Profit, Brimstone...

hm Maybe it should have went to ABC.