• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Comics

41 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was wondering if fellow board members wished to shed some light on buying

pedigree comics. I was contemplating buying a few high grade comics such

as 9.4/9.6 versus a lower grade 9.0/9.2 pedigrees. I'm wondering if the prices

for the pedigree comics being relatively the same as the higher grade comics

is worth the price.

If you don't understand it as a collector, you should not expect other collectors to understand it, and certainly not investors from outside of the hobby. All other things aside, always pick up the higher grade book, taking into account page quality. If it is a mile high, or a key GA book, maybe that is not good advice, but on Silver and Bronze, go for the grade/PQ.

I love peds, even over higher graded copies of the same book, I know it doesn't make sense, but then this entire hobby doesn't make sense, and I've long given up trying to make sense of it...

does that make sense ? (shrug)

I love peds, even over higher graded copies of the same book, I know it doesn't make sense, but then this entire hobby doesn't make sense, and I've long given up trying to make sense of it...

does that make sense ? (shrug)

Perfect sense (thumbs u

I humbly redact. Did the Northfords have PQ problems like the Northlands?

I`ve never heard that the Northlands had PQ problems. They`re not the whitest books in the world, but they`re no Mohawks either.

In the later 60's, a lot of books have been showing up slabbed with the C-OW designation. It isn't as consistent as a Joe and Nadia book though :)

Jim

In the later 60's, a lot of books have been showing up slabbed with the C-OW designation. It isn't as consistent as a Joe and Nadia book though :)

Jim

I thought all of them were CR-OW

(shrug)

Jim

(shrug)

Only through a beer bottle.

Jim

(shrug)

Show me one that isn't

:baiting:

Jim

(shrug)

Show me one that isn't

They're all white through Vodka.

Jim

(shrug)

Show me one that isn't

They're all white through Vodka.

That's not what CGC says

:roflmao:

Jim

(shrug)

Show me one that isn't

Here is a copy before they started adding it to the label.

amazingspiderman51005.jpg

Jim

(shrug)

Timmay: What I was suggesting was that the later in the NL's run the PQ becomes worse, my comparasin was that it wasn't as rampant as it is with the toasted look of the books that is the Joe and Nadia collection. (thumbs u

I did once see a Joe and Nadia book that was OW...needless to say I fell off my chair and hurt myself.

Jim

Here's a link to an article from Comic Book Marketplace on pedigrees that includes quite a variety of informed opinions.

link

Timmay: What I was suggesting was that the later in the NL's run the PQ becomes worse, my comparasin was that it wasn't as rampant as it is with the toasted look of the books that is the Joe and Nadia collection. (thumbs u

I did once see a Joe and Nadia book that was OW...needless to say I fell off my chair and hurt myself.

Jim

(thumbs u

the chair incident explains it all

I humbly redact. Did the Northfords have PQ problems like the Northlands?

I`ve never heard that the Northlands had PQ problems. They`re not the whitest books in the world, but they`re no Mohawks either.

In the later 60's, a lot of books have been showing up slabbed with the C-OW designation.

Jim

I probably shouldn't have said "problems," more like some issues. As the collection gets into the 70's, it becomes worse. The Ghost Manor #1 has tanning issues with the pages and the cover and two other Northlands I have are CR-OW as well. My understanding is that the Silver books are quite nice from a PQ standpoint. As usual, I have my bronze Age blinders on.

Does interior pages really matter when the book is slabbed?

Its not like you can see them

Absolutely. Slabbed books don't have to stay slabbed forever.

Yep, PQ is important. It's one good way of measuring the decay of a book. If a book is graded in 2009 with CR-OW pages, I would not want to buy it in the same slab in 2025; I'd want it cracked for a PQ review.

And re the earlier point, many of the Northford books I have seen have CR-OW pages. I have one with OW and another with CR-OW myself.

I hesitate to mention the last pedigree thread, but someone there said that the idea that current PQ was an indicator of future poorer PQ was just plain wrong.

I've always thought that PQ was the measure of the "health" of the book and that CR-OW books eventually become tan books, but I could also see it as one book with OW-W was taken care of better or in a better environment than another with CR-OW, but both have slowed their decay since they are being take of equally well now.

Thoughts anyone?