• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church Runs (or lack thereof)

67 posts in this topic

but enough of these....any knowledge of other runs still out there...Any feelings about them being broken up.....?

John when you stated that there is no Church #29 do you know this for a fact or do you just mean that you don't have it?

It'd be great to have some sort of a data base to track these pedigree books but that is really a pie in the sky dream.

On the one side splitting the runs allows more collectors to enjoy them and on the other hand keeping them together preserves their lineage better.

Tough call.....

Has anyone tried putting and Air Fighters or Airboy run together? The one thing that tells me these are held for long periods of time is that there are sizable numbers that have not been slabbed.

I think some of the Airboys were in that large collection of Church books Heritage had a couple years back. The collector's name escapes me but I'm sure somebody here knows it. It was mentioned here that Geppi bought quite a bit of the collection.

I have a friend who has a large chunk of the Justice Traps the Guilty run. He got them from Verzyl, who wouldn't break them up because he was afraid the non Kirby issues wouldn't sell. GOD BLESS...

That's very cool. Nice run.

Is the Allentown Wonderworld 3 higher grade than the mIle high?

Allentowns a 9.4

Allentown would grade out higher.

(By the way i have the Allentown Wonder Comics #2)

Church is about NM-; VF/NM. But it is bright and makes that "wobble noise" in your hand.

oh and as a side note Mystery Men 3 is my favorite cover....and while the MH may be 'technically better", the Larson copy has the correct registration on the cover and is a Larson white.

And bring on that WW 11 Allentown with the unfortunate split. Larson and Church beat it out. But it is a sensational cover and the Allentowns are just wonderful books.

jb

I know there is a run of Excitings, but is there a Church run from the Black Terror series? Id love to see some scans of them

I haven't seen the Black Terrors, but I suspect all the Better/Nedor/Standard titles are represented in the collection.

but enough of these....any knowledge of other runs still out there...Any feelings about them being broken up.....?

John when you stated that there is no Church #29 do you know this for a fact or do you just mean that you don't have it?

It'd be great to have some sort of a data base to track these pedigree books but that is really a pie in the sky dream.

On the one side splitting the runs allows more collectors to enjoy them and on the other hand keeping them together preserves their lineage better.

Tough call.....

There was a period of books missing from the Church books. Like Fantastic 17 18 19 (April May June 1941

mystery men 21 22 23 (april may june 1941

wonderworld 23, 24, 29 (march april 1941 Sept. 1941

No Flame 3, 4, 5, 7 Winder Feb/March Oct 1941

Big 3 2,3, 4 (March May, July

Weird comics 11, 13, 14, 15 (Feb, April , may, June

Samson 4, 5 (April July 1941

Green Mask 4 (Spring 1941

Ah, see a pattern here?

Distribution issues?

How about if i were say there are no mile high actions May June July 1940 (may, june july 1940) No 33 Feb 1941, no 35 April 1941?

Unless the WW 29, went in the first wave of purchases before the "catalogue", there is no 29

For WW 23, i have the San Fransico copy and for the WW24 i have the "Berk copy"

So, for instance, I have MH Samson 1 and 2 and Larson copies for 3, 4, 5

A lot of luck...and perseverance

Hey, if any one has different or additional info, I would love to hear it!!

Jon

I know there is a run of Excitings, but is there a Church run from the Black Terror series? Id love to see some scans of them

I haven't seen the Black Terrors, but I suspect all the Better/Nedor/Standard titles are represented in the collection.

Maybe this means the run of BT's is still intact.. If anybody has more info regarding this, or just Church Nedors in general, please chime in.

Threads like this, and the MPFW thread make this whole forum worth-while

Tough call.....

There was a period of books missing from the Church books. Like Fantastic 17 18 19 (April May June 1941

mystery men 21 22 23 (april may june 1941

wonderworld 23, 24, 29 (march april 1941 Sept. 1941

No Flame 3, 4, 5, 7 Winder Feb/March Oct 1941

Big 3 2,3, 4 (March May, July

Weird comics 11, 13, 14, 15 (Feb, April , may, June

Samson 4, 5 (April July 1941

Green Mask 4 (Spring 1941

Ah, see a pattern here?

Distribution issues?

How about if i were say there are no mile high actions May June July 1940 (may, june july 1940) No 33 Feb 1941, no 35 April 1941?

Unless the WW 29, went in the first wave of purchases before the "catalogue", there is no 29

For WW 23, i have the San Fransico copy and for the WW24 i have the "Berk copy"

So, for instance, I have MH Samson 1 and 2 and Larson copies for 3, 4, 5

A lot of luck...and perseverance

Hey, if any one has different or additional info, I would love to hear it!!

Jon

Wow, thanks for the in depth reply, Jon.

I wonder if it was a distribution issue or just a personal issue with Church? How were his books "picked"? Did he do it himself or did someone have a pull list?

Is it possible that he was away or unable to pick them up?

R.

Not much I can contribute here other than a story. Around 1983 or so when I was in college, a LCS had the entire Church run of Catmans. I bought one copy - #13 which I still have. I know some of those ended up with Nicholas Cage in his collection when he sold through Heritage.

Not sure why I picked the #13 - not knowing at that time of relative scarcity and desirability but it does look great in my collection.

hm

I have wondered for quite awhile what happened to the 13 as I knew Cage didn't have it.

Now I know!

let's see it!

I attempted to put the DC Superheros back together, an impossible task! In total, I had about 200 of the 1250 DC Superhero Mile Highs. Here's a short list.

Action Comics 32 Mile High Copies

Adventure Comics 5 Mile High Copies

All American Comics 1 Mile High Copy

All Flash 20 Mile High Copies

Batman 2 Mile High Copies

Boy Commandos 14 Mile High Copies

Comic Cavalcade 1 Mile High Copy

Detective Comics 8 Mile High Copies

Flash Comics 8 Mile High Copies

Green Lantern 6 Mile High Copies

Leading Comics 7 Mile High Copies

More Fun Comics 18 Mile High Copies

Real Fact Comics 1 Mile High Copy

Sensation Comics 58 Mile High Copies

Star Spangled Comics 12 Mile High Copies

Wonder Woman 2 Mile High Copies

Worlds Finest 1 Mile High Copy

I might be missing a few on the list

West

Funny how things change. Wasn't All Star considered to be one of THE runs in years gone by? Now it's a tough sell.

Funny how things change. Wasn't All Star considered to be one of THE runs in years gone by? Now it's a tough sell.
which is precisely why I have been putting the run together now....bargains compared to days past...

will All Star go the way of Whiz, etc, probably not...but if it does, buying them cheap is a good thing too

which is precisely why I have been putting the run together now....bargains compared to days past...

will All Star go the way of Whiz, etc, probably not...but if it does, buying them cheap is a good thing too

That's why I love my Whiz books.

:headbang:

Dirt cheap and just as important historically and artistically as anything with Superman or Batman in them...and MUCH tougher to find as they were read to death!