• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stock market is at 1996 levels ..... so why can't I buy comics at 1996 prices?

96 posts in this topic

You can buy more than 90% of 1996 comics at 1996 prices.

I want to buy pre-1980 high grade at the prices they were selling for in 1996

Is that too much to ask?

I want to be able to get married, and have a rotation of 20 year-old Eastern European "dancers" living with us. Is that too much to ask?

I like the way you think...

How much was a mid-grade AF #15 going for in 1996?

A portfolio of high grade pre-100 ASM's bought in 1996 versus buying an S&P 500 index mutual fund in 1996?

How's that for an investment comparison?

The worst part of the mutual fund investment is that you are not at 1996 levels because you got nailed for 13 years of management fees, and 2009 dollars are worth a lot less than 1996 dollars. The real buying power after all that is less than half the 1996 buying power.

buy stocks now then you will be laughing in a couple years when they go up.

Nah, you're not paying attention. Stocks drop, comics ALWAYS perform. Buy, buy, buy! Sell a child if necessary.

I have two. They fight alot. Interested??

:baiting:

Are either of them strong enough to shovel snow?

Not yet, but in a couple of years.......

Do you have a lease to own option...., ??? :shrug:

No, if you want them you get them

:wishluck:

Is that too much to ask?

I want to be able to get married, and have a rotation of 20 year-old Eastern European "dancers" living with us. Is that too much to ask?

No, in the US we call them "nannies"

:banana:

Is that too much to ask?

No, in the US we call them "nannies"

:banana:

Then I need a kid first. Remember to PM me when one of yours can pick up a shovel.

stocks keep going down

and high grade comic prices keep going up

I look at GPA and would love to buy any high grade book at 2002 prices (let alone 1996 prices)

people who sunk their money into comics instead of stocks in the last 13 years have come out ahead

Comics weren't bundled with CDO's so they won't get creamed as bad as stocks have....

Is that too much to ask?

No blonds though.

Problem is you are using hindsight for your comparison. Stocks are down and you are comparing one of the best runs in comics. How about we have this a year ago and you bought RIM or Birkshire at low points. Then take into account your higher sell fees on comics and the fact that xpercent would probably come back restored because some dealer ripped you off :D

Bruce

If there is another world war and civilization is knocked on it's comics are going to be not worth much and they may just come and collect them all in a paper drive

actually the paper drives of WWII (and the mass burning of comics in the 1950s) is what made Golden Age rare (and valuable) in the first place

If there is another world war and civilization is knocked on it's comics are going to be not worth much and they may just come and collect them all in a paper drive

Aside from canned goods and bottled water, not much of anything would be worth much either

It's not fair to compare super high grade SA books, AF15 and the other hot books to the overall stock market. There are plenty of comics that are worth less than they were many years ago.

Look at the valuations of low grade comics versus the valuations of high grade comics. When I started collecting a G book was worth 50% of the NMint price, now the spread is much much larger. Most low/mid grade comics haven't gone up in value in many years and they typically sell for 50% or less of guide.

Look at funny animal books, classic Bark's Donald Duck, or most non super hero GA fare, they are selling in most cases at much less than guide and probably haven't gone in guide value for a long time.

Some comics have increased in value because a core of collectors, us, ignore current events and buy what we love. I'm not sure how long that will continue

Aside from canned goods and bottled water, not much of anything would be worth much either

stock up on guns, bullets and gasoline (thumbs u

just like the Mad Max world

stock up on guns, bullets and gasoline (thumbs u

just like the Mad Max world

And move to Tibet, if it turns out to be a Waterworld world.

actually the paper drives of WWII (and the mass burning of comics in the 1950s) is what made Golden Age rare (and valuable) in the first place

Yes but only because we survived it and "won"

That may not happen next time.

Yes but only because we survived it and "won"

That may not happen next time.

Jeez guys, sounds like some have the shotgun in the mouth already, and life would be better if that big toe could just fit right into the trigger housing.

It's all going to be okay, but not any time soon.

Now, if I can only find my Y2K manual on how to grow your own vegetable and fruit garden because the world was going to end then too. Where did I put it? Ah, right next to my "How To Prepare For End-Of-Days" For Dummies guide.

Sorry if I went off road on you but the question's silly logic made stating the obvious answer less interesting than tossing in a hand grenade.

I think the worst possible scenario is always more interesting to talk about rather than just putting this puzzle to rest.