• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demise of the local comic shops

86 posts in this topic

The LCS scene here in SE Alabama died out in the 90's, right about the same time as Marvel going bankrupt (hmmm...). Nowadays, I have to drive to our State capitol (100 miles away) or Northwest Florida (about the same distance). Nothing beats holding an actual book in my hands while deciding to buy it or not. This site is the second best thing.

Oh that reminds me of a 5th store in my city. He is a nice guy too but all his comics are just bagged and no boards in longboxes to save space. Very hard to find decent books with everybody going through them and mangling them.

My LCS is one of those that decided to no longer carry back-issues. They USED to have them there is my biggest problem - now I have to drive 20 minutes farther to get to a REAL comic shop. I don't go to Ultimate Comics anymore, not even to buy bags & boards, and it's literally 5 minutes from my house.

:tonofbricks:

-slym

The store closest to my job is Midtown comics, and they suck. All new issues, toys/statues, and trades. The "back issues" they do have are moderns, and all marked up at lest 50 cents over cover price. They've got a few overpriced Silver and Bronze comics on the walls, but I doubt anyone ever buys them. It's a big place and you get about as much warmth there as at Barnes & Noble. Well no, less warmth, I've met some good folk at Barnes & Noble.

A few blocks away though, on 14th street and 7th ave, is the LCS love of my life. It's run by a guy who's owned the place for at least 20 years, probably more. he's totally personable, likes talking comics, sports, or whatever else comes up ,,, just the kinda guy you want running your comic store. While they do sell new issues, it's 95% back issues, as well as magazines (monster, sci fi, movie, etc.), pulps, etc. Vintage toys too, from the 1920's up. And a few vintage comic-related books thrown in.

None of the back issues have been graded or priced. He has a price guide lying around that you can use to gauge price, but when you find what you're interested in, he goes over each comic, with you if you want, grades them all, and works out a price, always a good deal over the current Overstreet list. He's great with regular customers. He knows what I like and makes a point of showing any new inventory he thinks I'd be interested in, or he just thinks is cool.

While I buy a lot of comics online, just started buying some here recently, it's a totally different thing at a good comic store. I can browse around and find stuff I didn't know I wanted, find upgrades for some comics I'd been meaning to replace one of these days, and so on. I wouldn't trade this place for all the ebay's in the world.

O, and he has no internet presence at all. And no interest in jumping onboard. He just likes having a comic store.

>>Cant understand why shops dont at least have some section devoted to back issues. <<

Back issues have to be worked. Present them nicely, bagged and boarded. As they sell, replace the inventory if duplicates are in the back room. If it was dead stock to begin with, forget about it. Buy collections only if it's stuff the store can turn over in a reasonable period of time. Have an online presence and stay on top of that.

Keeping your back issue bins stocked is a ton of work. You've got to find them, buy them with room for profit, grade them and bag and board them. I often go into stores that can't even bother to replace books when they sell off the walls. It absolutely drives me bonkers to go into a store and see the same empty spots on the wall for months at a time.

Demise of the "local comic shops" from my generation started with the introduction of the direct market. I absolutely loved not knowing what I would find in the grocery stores and/or convenience stores.

BTW, Internet comics service provider mailordercomics.com is the KING of customer service. Tell Mike that Sterling sent ya!

Back issues have to be worked. Present them nicely, bagged and boarded. As they sell, replace the inventory if duplicates are in the back room. If it was dead stock to begin with, forget about it. Buy collections only if it's stuff the store can turn over in a reasonable period of time. Have an online presence and stay on top of that.

An online presence can help get rid of "dead stock," as well - after it's been picked through, put the rest of the drek up on eBay for 99¢, and get it out of the store! My old LCS was the worst about this. They had SO MANY boxes of collections bought and picked through, I thought more than once the stacks were going to fall over on somebody! When I worked there, I even offered to do something like that for them. I was told "No thanks."

(shrug)

-slym

14th and 7th? whats the name of this spot? I never heard of it. I frequent Midtown Comics, Jim Hanley's and Bulletproof Comics in Bklyn. I used to go to Metro Comics in downtown Bklyn as well. They have a decent stock of back ssues last ive been there.

My LCS is Bedrock City Comics. Richard runs a tight ship, great store, well laid out, great employees with great customer service. A few with personality defects but most are good people. I only subscribe to a half dozen books so mail wouldn't save me all that much. I check in atleast every other week as its just down the street from work. The one thing I wish BCC would do is display more of their high grade keys on their 'wall'. It seems like alot of these books are sitting in boxes in the back room and modern variants are displayed instead.

I don't think I'll ever stop going to a local brick & mortar store. I just like the social aspect, seeing what else is out there other than what I'm searching for on the net and love flipping through the back issues just to check out the books I haven't seen...

Didn't LCS' demise begin with the slowdown in the comic industry around the mid-90s? I recall circulation being very low back then and Marvel had filed bankruptcy. Fortunately, the health of the industry started to improve by 2000, but that's when ebay/internet really started kicking their arses. Is this somewhat accurate?

14th and 7th? whats the name of this spot? I never heard of it. I frequent Midtown Comics, Jim Hanley's and Bulletproof Comics in Bklyn. I used to go to Metro Comics in downtown Bklyn as well. They have a decent stock of back ssues last ive been there.
I am 99% sure he is referring to Roger's Time Machine.

Yup, I'm pretty sure as well.

I went in there last time I was in NYC and LOVED the place. How he prices is exactly what the other poster described. I look forward to going back!

My LCS is Bedrock City Comics. Richard runs a tight ship, great store, well laid out, great employees with great customer service. A few with personality defects but most are good people. I only subscribe to a half dozen books so mail wouldn't save me all that much. I check in atleast every other week as its just down the street from work. The one thing I wish BCC would do is display more of their high grade keys on their 'wall'. It seems like alot of these books are sitting in boxes in the back room and modern variants are displayed instead.

I don't think I'll ever stop going to a local brick & mortar store. I just like the social aspect, seeing what else is out there other than what I'm searching for on the net and love flipping through the back issues just to check out the books I haven't seen...

Thanks for the plug! (thumbs u

Give me a shout before you come in next and I will fill the wall up with old key cool stuff. I actually try to display at least a few old keys at all times but I am always worried about leaving them up too long and having the covers fade. Maybe I'm overthinking but it is a concern. See you soon!

They are in the wrong business if they can't even stock their walls lol.

They have the books. They just can't be bothered to climb on a chair and actually hang a book on the wall. Overgrade, overprice, don't bother to display your stock and then wonder why the back issues aren't selling.

Thanks for the plug! (thumbs u

Give me a shout before you come in next and I will fill the wall up with old key cool stuff. I actually try to display at least a few old keys at all times but I am always worried about leaving them up too long and having the covers fade. Maybe I'm overthinking but it is a concern. See you soon!

I've seen enough faded books over the years. Try hanging scans or color photocopys instead. No fading and you don't have to climb on a ladder to get a book. At night when you go home take your best books with you so theft isn't a worry.

They are in the wrong business if they can't even stock their walls lol.

They have the books. They just can't be bothered to climb on a chair and actually hang a book on the wall. Overgrade, overprice, don't bother to display your stock and then wonder why the back issues aren't selling.

It is reasonable and basic to expect a business to track inventory and maintain stocking. To not replace stock and wall books is like 7-11 letting the slurpee machine run dry.

Yup, I'm pretty sure as well.

I went in there last time I was in NYC and LOVED the place. How he prices is exactly what the other poster described. I look forward to going back!

Another (thumbs u here! A great owner of a great place - offers to help you find stuff and lets you peruse at your leisure. I only wish he'd start accepting credit cards for payment.

The idea that the owner and employees should have some sort of knowledge when it comes to comics is an absolute. Growing up in Southern California (Inland Empire) I had the privledge and honor of walking into a store called Four Color Fantasies in 1985. Now prior to this I would get most of my comics off the rack at the Air Force base. But when I walked in and noticed the huge back stock of silver and bronze age issues that were neatly arranged , my jaw dropped. Every question I had the owner and it's employees would be able to answer with confidence and a sharp knowledge. They would even recommend current titles that had good story lines. These experience's ignited,correction blow torched my passion for collecting and I never looked back. Sadly you will not find any comic book stores in Southern California that could come anywhere near that type of customer service.

RIP

Lone Warrior Comics

Four Color Fantasies