• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant ebay sellers with 1000's of feedback mail books to canada!!!

109 posts in this topic

That policy may have changed recently, and PayPal may have started confirming Canadian addresses.

My address has been confirmed since 2002. I know it's hard to believe that Paypal confirms addresses in the third world, but it's true.

Intl buyers are more likely to give you low ratings, as everyone knows postage to destinations outside the US is more expensive and takes longer.

Any experienced buyer in another country knows how long it takes to get packages, on average. This is much more of a problem with American buyers buying from international sellers, since most of you are used to quick shipping times within the 48 states, and can't understand why a package from Canada takes 2 weeks. So there.

I wonder how much of the shipping concerns that "48 only" sellers have are based on real experiences, as opposed to worst-case scenarios that they've cooked up on their own.

Packages from Canada only take about five days to my destination within the 48.

I wonder how much of the shipping concerns that "48 only" sellers have are based on real experiences, as opposed to worst-case scenarios that they've cooked up on their own.

Pardon my brashness, but that comes off as really condescending.

-slym

Really? That post? I've made at least three or four other posts in the last few days that were much more condescending than that one. (shrug)

In the first post of the Kudos thread in the marketplace, Bronzebruce wrote this in his little blurb about me; An easy guy to deal with...Just don't bring up "shipping issues". And that was back in 2003! lol

For some reason, this topic makes me see red more than any other. It's demeaning to have to beg a seller to take my money, regardless of my reputation or what I'm willing to do to provide concrete assurance that the transaction will go smoothly. And I've had to miss out on tons of great deals because of it.

If some people can whine about price gouging in the marketplace, I can whine about bumbles who won't ship to me.

Not to worry my fellow Canadians, I am currently working on a project that will solve all our collecting (and collective) problems.

What would that be? A cure for douchebagitis?

Really? That post? I've made at least three or four other posts in the last few days that were much more condescending than that one. (shrug)

In the first post of the Kudos thread in the marketplace, Bronzebruce wrote this in his little blurb about me; An easy guy to deal with...Just don't bring up "shipping issues". And that was back in 2003! lol

For some reason, this topic makes me see red more than any other. It's demeaning to have to beg a seller to take my money, regardless of my reputation or what I'm willing to do to provide concrete assurance that the transaction will go smoothly. And I've had to miss out on tons of great deals because of it.

If some people can whine about price gouging in the marketplace, I can whine about bumbles who won't ship to me.

(worship)

You pretty much all but said that Americans in the contiguous 48 states are making up stories to justify why they won't ship to you. Before that, I know that at least I said I don't have a problem and have never had a problem shipping to Canada, while I have seen (unless the people I know well are actually pathological liars) proof that some (note the qualifier: some ) Canadians get irate and vengeful at the extra fees that the Canadian postal service levies on some (and I don't know why it's only some and not all or none) packages shipped up there. And if you think shooting off a polite but concise e-mail asking the seller if he will unblock you since you are willing to accept whatever comes your way via the Canadian postal service is having to "beg a seller to take your money," then you need to check your pride at the log-in page. So, the only deals you've missed out on have been, until you know FOR SURE that the seller refuses you, on you.

What really got me is the intimation that some people just 'cook up' situations just to block you and other Canadians. In that very same vein, how do I know that your line "This is much more of a problem with American buyers buying from international sellers, since most of you are used to quick shipping times within the 48 states, and can't understand why a package from Canada takes 2 weeks. So there." isn't just a cooked up line to use as childish retaliation against US sellers who actually DO have or had a problem with shipping to Canada? Your last two words there sure don't help...

I have heard MANY stories concerning US shipping to Canada, yet I almost always offer international shipping. Why? It hasn't happened to me yet, and even if it does, it would have to be a HUGE "bumblef*ck" to make me want to cut out, what... around 87% of the world's population.

All I'm saying is, intimating that all US sellers not only won't ship to Canada but complain about ANY international shipping as slow is rather cheap and condescending. To use another of your own lines, "Any experienced buyer in another country knows how long it takes to get packages, on average." That includes US buyers getting product from another country, not just everybody BUT America.

As for your other remarks you think might be condescending, I may or may have not read them - but I did this one, and it made me "see red" as it is just plain false, unfounded on a grand scale, and (since you had to say "So there,") juvenile.

And I don't think anyone here is saying you can't whine about whatever you want... just don't go getting the idea because you have had a bad transaction or two that all Americans are so close-minded. By all means, complain about the ones that do, and let everyone know who they are... but don't group us all together. That, in itself, is close-minded.

:grin:

-slym

I have no problems shipping anywhere. But I can see how people could get upset. For example I've had people ask for a shipping totals to Spain or some other country and to the total will be more than the cost of the item. So if you're not careful to calculate the true cost you could end up burning yourself. $12.00 to ship in the USA compared to $48.00 to ship to Spain is a huge difference. :eek:

I'll ship anywhere as long as the buyer is wiling to pay the cost and is willing to accept that I will likely add a handling fee for having to do the extra form filing. But I always add that into my shipping quote. I think it's annoying to have to fill out all those forms and stand in the post office, but am willing to do it to sell whatever I want to get rid of if the buyer makes good and pays

I'll ship anywhere as long as the buyer is wiling to pay the cost and is willing to accept that I will likely add a handling fee for having to do the extra form filing. But I always add that into my shipping quote. I think it's annoying to have to fill out all those forms and stand in the post office, but am willing to do it to sell whatever I want to get rid of if the buyer makes good and pays

:applause:

That's DAMN good "customer service" right there!!!

-slym

Ok, let's dance mo' fo'.

You pretty much all but said that Americans in the contiguous 48 states are making up stories to justify why they won't ship to you.

No I didn't. I said "I wonder how much of the shipping concerns that "48 only" sellers have are based on real experiences, as opposed to worst-case scenarios that they've cooked up on their own". It's a valid question. You can interpret it any way you want, but I really do wonder how many sellers institute this policy as a reactive measure as opposed to a preventative measure.

while I have seen (unless the people I know well are actually pathological liars) proof that some (note the qualifier: some ) Canadians get irate and vengeful at the extra fees that the Canadian postal service levies on some (and I don't know why it's only some and not all or none) packages shipped up there.

Well, I have similar "proof" that Americans get "irate and vengeful" at the extra fees that the Canadian postal services charges us to ship goods outside of Canada.

And if you think shooting off a polite but concise e-mail asking the seller if he will unblock you since you are willing to accept whatever comes your way via the Canadian postal service is having to "beg a seller to take your money," then you need to check your pride at the log-in page. So, the only deals you've missed out on have been, until you know FOR SURE that the seller refuses you, on you.

You haven't a clue, amigo. The polite but concise e-mail is always sent first; I'm always willing to give a seller the benefit of the doubt. It's the many, many stubborn refusals despite my best attempts at assurance and compromise over the years that has caused this frustration. I already mentioned that above. Instead of focusing so much energy reading and intimating between the lines of my post, how about starting with what I've actually written first?

What really got me is the intimation that some people just 'cook up' situations just to block you and other Canadians.

Again, since you don't know me and are not familiar with my posting style, please stick to face value. If you interpret my post a certain way, ask for clarification before flying off the tizzy.

In that very same vein, how do I know that your line "This is much more of a problem with American buyers buying from international sellers, since most of you are used to quick shipping times within the 48 states, and can't understand why a package from Canada takes 2 weeks. So there." isn't just a cooked up line to use as childish retaliation against US sellers who actually DO have or had a problem with shipping to Canada?

In that very same vein, how do I know that your line "while I have seen (unless the people I know well are actually pathological liars) proof that some (note the qualifier: some ) Canadians get irate and vengeful at the extra fees" isn't just a cooked up line to help your argument? We can do this all day.

Your last two words there sure don't help...

When I write something like "so there", it's usually done to be ironic. I was responding to Rob's generalizations by demonstrating that I can come up with generalities of my own. In fact, that's exactly what you tried to do to me, only you were responding to that irony as if it was a straight post.

All I'm saying is, intimating that all US sellers not only won't ship to Canada but complain about ANY international shipping as slow is rather cheap and condescending. To use another of your own lines, "Any experienced buyer in another country knows how long it takes to get packages, on average." That includes US buyers getting product from another country, not just everybody BUT America.

:makepoint: See above.

And I don't think anyone here is saying you can't whine about whatever you want... just don't go getting the idea because you have had a bad transaction or two that all Americans are so close-minded.

"A bad transaction or two"? Like I said, you really haven't got a clue about how rampant this "shipping bias" is, nor do you realize how ineffective my polite, concise emails have been, and what I've missed out on as a result.

but don't group us all together. That, in itself, is close-minded.

Well, I'm on a predominantly American board, so I'm just trying to fit in with the natives.

:grin:

Ok, let's dance mo' fo'.

No thanks, I don't dance with men.

As to how far your experiences went, you didn't elaborate on how far you went. Further clarification, including examples, would have made your point much better. I'm not a mind reader...

:makepoint:

And without some sort of reference (it's why I put a like of smiley-graemlins in my posts, even though I don't really like them that much) I don't know when you are being sarcastic (or ironic, or moronic) and when you are not. You said that I don't have a clue more than once. Well, next time, fill a brother in, Phil!!!

:D

-slym

Well first response. They state they have had to many problems with returned books from foreign buyers. They stated they were out of pocket for shipping costs both ways. Hopefully Kenny will not mind buying another book for me, wish I would have gotten him to bid on the other book that ended this week now. At this rate every foreign buyer will need a boardie pal to buy books for them :P

Bruce

Anyone that refuses to ship to Canada can go themselves. I can't believe the whining regarding filling out forms & standing in line at the PO. Boo hoo. rantrant

It is extra work and hassle...., but I'll do it, especially when you foreigners are the only ones that want my junque.

I understand why sellers do not want to ship outside the US.Some do not want the hassle, or the risk associated with using paypal or there DSR dings over slow shipping.

The solution is to find someone in the US to bid and buy on item, have item they shipped to them, then in return ship it to Canada. However you may have to pay an extra 10 or 15 bucks to cover the costs of shipping and paypal fee's and a little extra to compensate for the persons time and gas.

Or if you live close to the US border I guess you could drive across and get a PO box.