• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF to get movie reboot

101 posts in this topic

I liked the original idea of the FF movie being a "Period Piece", set in the early 60s, amid the Cold War and Space Race.

And the centerpiece of the movie should be the relationship between Victor and Reed, and how it shapes the lives of both men.

Fun Fact: FF2: ROTSS was the first Marvel-based movie to get a PG rating since Howard the Duck.

Anyway, for those saying that a complete reboot isn't necessary, maybe you're right, maybe not. I'd say look at 2 other comic properties for example.

The Keaton Batman movies were pretty good (great for their time), but the second 2 went so campy that it was beyond salvage. They rebooted with a reboot and a prequel in Batman Begins. I'm not sure I have to go further with this one.

A better example is probably Hulk (2003) vs. Incredible Hulk (2008). The 2008 movie was leaps and bounds better than the 2003 movie, but it wasn't exactly a reboot. I've heard 1 or two people call it a "requel"...a reimagined sequel (probably). In this case, since the "origin" of the Hulk was told 5 years ago, there was no need to re-hash the same story as we're still in the same generation of viewers. Instead, take the story you know of characters established in previous movies, but retool it from there. New actors, more in-depth characterization, new looks, everything! In essence, keep the rough facts about the past movie so you don't have to revisit them, but drop all the details.

It'd be like extreme makeover: Baxter Building edition.

The FF movies were really bad, so I am looking forward to this.

The previous characters were pretty bad, and need reworked. That or just introduce Marvel Zombies :)

I was thinking this too earlier.

Go Ultimate with the story and introduce zombies.

It would gain a large zombie fan base

I enjoyed the first FF movie for the first part (new first one, not the old one) . I thought their choice for Johnny and Ben were great, that Alba is pretty good looking, and that Mr Fantastic was screwed up and kinda annoying. The second movie was not good and equates to X-men 3 and Spider-man 3 IMO

I think you scrap the whole thing and go do another origin story and revisit Galactus/Surfer only doing it correctly. The Surfer was great, but you need to put Galactus in the movie.

The FF has such a rich history -- the Watcher, the Inhumans -- etc., so much amazing material... Imagine a Hulk/Thing battle on screen?

I'll admit that their history is rich,but most of it isn't movie material,imo. Traversing heroes across boundaries like you mentioned would be a great potential, though.

Fun Fact: FF2: ROTSS was the first Marvel-based movie to get a PG rating since Howard the Duck.

Anyway, for those saying that a complete reboot isn't necessary, maybe you're right, maybe not. I'd say look at 2 other comic properties for example.

The Keaton Batman movies were pretty good (great for their time), but the second 2 went so campy that it was beyond salvage. They rebooted with a reboot and a prequel in Batman Begins. I'm not sure I have to go further with this one.

A better example is probably Hulk (2003) vs. Incredible Hulk (2008). The 2008 movie was leaps and bounds better than the 2003 movie, but it wasn't exactly a reboot. I've heard 1 or two people call it a "requel"...a reimagined sequel (probably). In this case, since the "origin" of the Hulk was told 5 years ago, there was no need to re-hash the same story as we're still in the same generation of viewers. Instead, take the story you know of characters established in previous movies, but retool it from there. New actors, more in-depth characterization, new looks, everything! In essence, keep the rough facts about the past movie so you don't have to revisit them, but drop all the details.

It'd be like extreme makeover: Baxter Building edition.

I liked the way the 2008 Hulk began in South America where 2003 left off....it could be looked at as a reboot or a continuation, very smoothly done. I'm enough of an FF fan to be thrilled at the prospect of another FF movie, reboot or otherwise....I just hope they can find a way to the depth that was inherent in the FF.The comedy was always important, just not at the expense of the profound.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think you scrap the whole thing and go do another origin story and revisit Galactus/Surfer only doing it correctly. The Surfer was great, but you need to put Galactus in the movie.

The FF has such a rich history -- the Watcher, the Inhumans -- etc., so much amazing material... Imagine a Hulk/Thing battle on screen?

I would love to see a movie with FF4, FF25, FF36, FF45, and FF81 as the inspiration.

The previous characters were pretty bad, and need reworked. That or just introduce Marvel Zombies :)

I think this might make an interesting story twist. Maybe not exactly Marvel Zombies, but what if the first half of the film was very traditional and a retelling of the origin in a period-type piece (ala Sky Captain and The World Of Tomorrow though not that far back) and then do something with the MoleMan and when the Fantastic Four go under the surface, the Moleman's henchmen can move and be zombie-like (28 Days....)

Just a thought......Though honestly, this is a tough one to lock down and look great on film while giving the source material respect. It would take someone with a strong vision to make it work.

I'd like to see a new Daredevil reboot as well. :devil:

I'd like to see a new Daredevil reboot as well. :devil:

Hear, hear! Affleck looked OK when in the costume, if you can ignore his enormous head, but he was no Matt Murdock. And could they get someone at least a little exotic-looking to play Elektra? I have nothing against Jennifer Garner (and boy would I like to, nevermind...) but she doesn't look at all like Elektra - and no, I don't need Nia Vardolos for it to be authentic. Maybe someone like... Jolene Blaylock......

:devil:

Dammit, sorry... running OT again!

-slym

Do they also own X-Men rights? Would be nice to do a re-vamp of that story line!

Can we just once all agree that Hulk was god awful, yea both of them. When they unveiled the "new" cgi hulk it was like looking at the 1st one. What they shouldve done was use a lou ferrigno type and CGI the transformation from Norton to the Body builder. I dont give a about him leaping a mile. Sometimes a departure from the original material is needed. Just to be somewhat believable.

The silver surfer didnt look all that great until he was separated from his board, when you could actually tell he was there. They should take a page out of Singers book and get the CGI right before they use it. Anyone see the latest (last) Wolverine trailer? At the very end when his claws come out and freakin Liev says "oooh shiny" The blades look so fake its ridiculous.

Can we just once all agree that Hulk was god awful, yea both of them. When they unveiled the "new" cgi hulk it was like looking at the 1st one. What they shouldve done was use a lou ferrigno type and CGI the transformation from Norton to the Body builder. I dont give a about him leaping a mile. Sometimes a departure from the original material is needed. Just to be somewhat believable.

The silver surfer didnt look all that great until he was separated from his board, when you could actually tell he was there. They should take a page out of Singers book and get the CGI right before they use it. Anyone see the latest (last) Wolverine trailer? At the very end when his claws come out and freakin Liev says "oooh shiny" The blades look so fake its ridiculous.

Sounds like when it comes to comic movies, you're a tough customer to please. Totally cool, entitled to your opinion. While I disliked the 2003 Hulk, I really liked the 2008 Incredible Hulk. I found it really enjoyable.

I always imagined the Silver Surfer as highly reflective, and I still say they nailed the look while he was on the board.

I can't really speak on the Wolverine trailer as I haven't seen it, but it sounds like you're a bigger fan of live action costumes/props as opposed to CGI. Fair statement?

Anyway, who do you all think should be cast in a FF reboot?

I think Michael C. made a pretty good Thing

I could see Paul Walker as Johnny

I'm thinking someone older as Sue, maybe Naomi Watts

I really don't have any idea for Reed. He's always looked pretty plain in the comics. Someone help me out!

I was thinking this too earlier.

Go Ultimate with the story and introduce zombies.

It would gain a large zombie fan base

Plot outline: Reed receives contact from an older version of himself from an alternate dimension. After crossing over, Reed discovers he's been duped and that the entire world is infested with blood-thirsty zombies, looking for their next meal. (thumbs u

The plot is obviously important, but what's really missing from the two movies is the essence of the comic. The World's Greatest Comic Magazine achieved that status because of the interplay between humor, charm, pathos (important to both The Thing and Silver Surfer), diabolical and awesomely powerful villains, intelligent and non-violent problem solving, great gadgets and great battles. I agree that it would be better done by Pixar than as a live action movie.

How come, when I hammered these two FF movies upon release, was I mercilessly bashed while FF1 and FF2 were put up as "fun popcorn movies" and the majority of the forum loved them?

Now, after you've all had a chance to wallow in their mediocrity, you've all jumped on the JC Bandwagon?