• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Opening Title Sequence...

34 posts in this topic

I believe it's the hero The Owl protecting Bruce Wayne's parents from the gunman in the alley as they emerge on the far left side of the screen.

I thought this as well, but when I said something to my boyfriend, he commented that it wouldn't make sense since the scene also had posters up for Batman 1.

I think the Batman posters was a tipoff to teh rest of the scene. Zorro posters might have worked a bit more cryptically.

I completely agree with this. The whole purpose of the posters, IMO, was to reinforce the association recall, just in case someone might have missed it in that brief moment.

So where is little Bruce Wayne?

I believe his presence was implicit (i.e. inferred from all of the other information provided).

Also, in this universe, there would be no batman, except for maybe a fictitious comic.

I think we'll see a lot more evidence that this was the case, once the dvd commentary eventually comes out.

I believe it's the hero The Owl protecting Bruce Wayne's parents from the gunman in the alley as they emerge on the far left side of the screen.

I thought this as well, but when I said something to my boyfriend, he commented that it wouldn't make sense since the scene also had posters up for Batman 1.

I think the Batman posters was a tipoff to teh rest of the scene. Zorro posters might have worked a bit more cryptically.

I completely agree with this. The whole purpose of the posters, IMO, was to reinforce the association recall, just in case someone might have missed it in that brief moment.

So where is little Bruce Wayne?

With all this talk lately of 'little Manhattan' I completely mistook your meaning and was somewhat confused by your question.

But of course, doing something this blatantly stupid also totally negates the connection. doh!

I posted the whole Wayne thing in my blog to see what people thought, and the general response is "It's not them. Gotham didn't exist in that world." Which I'm inclined to believe.

This is supposed to be an alternate version of the universe. So Gotham could exist in this one if it existed in the other one. It just takes a different form.

And given that Night Owl 1 saves the Wayne's from getting killed the Gotham of the Watchmen Universe never gets Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Oh...and if Gotham didn't exist in their world...what were they doing standing in front of the Gotham Opera House? (shrug)

attachmentnw4.jpg

I posted the whole Wayne thing in my blog to see what people thought, and the general response is "It's not them. Gotham didn't exist in that world." Which I'm inclined to believe.

This is supposed to be an alternate version of the universe. So Gotham could exist in this one if it existed in the other one. It just takes a different form.

And given that Night Owl 1 saves the Wayne's from getting killed the Gotham of the Watchmen Universe never gets Bruce Wayne as Batman.

Oh...and if Gotham didn't exist in their world...what were they doing standing in front of the Gotham Opera House? (shrug)

attachmentnw4.jpg

It's...how you say?....a homage.

doh!

attachmentnw4.jpg

I'll pull this reply from my blog;

"Well... I think that while it *does* somewhat kill the effect, it also serves to underline the fact that the Watchmen universe is *not* Earth-One, Earth-Two, Earth-Sigma, Earth-Zero, or New Earth (or any of the other DC mainstream universes) or even DC-Vertigo proper. It had been intended to be Earth-S/Earth-5, which was the Charlton Comics universe, but DC made Alan Moore change the names to protect the innocent (read: their property)..."

I'm still torn, but I do like the scene!

The Batman posters kinda ruin it, on reflection :(

Kinda? More like totally ruins it, but like many of the changes, these were done to ensure that every Joe SixPack and Sally Silverware in the US of A could grasp the concept.

The Batman posters kinda ruin it, on reflection :(

Kinda? More like totally ruins it, but like many of the changes, these were done to ensure that every Joe SixPack and Sally Silverware in the US of A could grasp the concept.

And judging by some of the online comments about the film, even throwing that in there it still got missed by 90% of the people seeing the film. You can't underestimate the lack of attention span and ability to comprehend of the average movie goer.

These are the same people who are asking "Why's that thar guy all blue...and nekkid?"

C