• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Reserves

47 posts in this topic

Does ComicConnect disclose the secret reserve before the auction is over? I'm finding that having all of the books I am interested in say "Reserve Not Met" is putting a damper on my interest. I tend to bid less when I don't know whether my bid will even meet the reserve.

Feels like a big waste of time. The post so many of their own books with high reserves it is frustrating to even scan the listings. I wish the would eliminate reserves and just set the starting bid at the minimum amount.

Guest Grails

Reserves don't matter at all to me when I'm playing. I put what I'm willing to pay, reserve or no reserve. Of course as buyers, we don't want them, but as sellers its crucial to protect at least what you have in the book. Everyone has a bad sale day so the reserves are good insurance (unless the amount is ridiculous).

The past couple auctions, it seemed like a large percentage went unsold because they failed to meet reserves. I don't see a way to check, but does anyone have something more accurate than my shoddy memory?

I think my biggest problem was that so many of the books belonged to the auction house and just seemed they were using the auction to market books that were not moving in their store. I certainly understand the need for reserves for collectors/investors consigning their books to auction houses, especially with the commission, shipping and insurance costs.

The past couple auctions, it seemed like a large percentage went unsold because they failed to meet reserves. I don't see a way to check, but does anyone have something more accurate than my shoddy memory?

Your memory is not shoddy. We've discussed this same issue the past two CC auctions. The first was pretty bad because all but a handful had reserves. At the same time though I can understand them wanting to protect interest on a new format. You'd think though with the publicity of the Action 1 that fewer books would have reserves.

Nothing draws in business quicker then an auction with perceived deals and just the opposite will drive people away.

Your memory is not shoddy. We've discussed this same issue the past two CC auctions. The first was pretty bad because all but a handful had reserves. At the same time though I can understand them wanting to protect interest on a new format. You'd think though with the publicity of the Action 1 that fewer books would have reserves.

Nothing draws in business quicker then an auction with perceived deals and just the opposite will drive people away.

I remember when Clink held their first few auctions...with no reserves.They took a bath...but just like you said, everyone and their brother were tuned in from then on out looking for the deals. Look at 'em now. I must admit that Comiconnect is turning up some real nice books.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I remember when Clink held their first few auctions...with no reserves.They took a bath...but just like you said, everyone and their brother were tuned in from then on out looking for the deals. Look at 'em now. I must admit that Comiconnect is turning up some real nice books.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Compliments of the first ComicConnect auction....snagged for under $1k :cloud9:

MMC51cgc80f.jpg

Does ComicConnect disclose the secret reserve before the auction is over? I'm finding that having all of the books I am interested in say "Reserve Not Met" is putting a damper on my interest. I tend to bid less when I don't know whether my bid will even meet the reserve.

They don't disclose the reserve like Heritage. You just have to guess whether your bid will meet or not.

But why is everyone making such a big fuss over the fact that so many books in the CC auction have reserves? Reserves are GREAT!!! They represent a highly desirable method of striking the right balance between the seller's wishes and the buyer's wishes! If it so happens that many books fail to meet reserves, some naysayers might interpret that as an unmitigated disaster of an auction, but not me! I say that just means that the supply axis and demand axis failed to meet for a particular transaction and the reserve helped to prevent an artificial intersection of the axes at a point that would have made one of the parties unhappy. NO negative connotations should be inferred from such an event!

All the great auction houses, which most definitely includes ComicConnect and their affiliate Metropolis Comics, allow reserves. So this is a well-established, creditable practice. And at the end of the day, who is more experienced in the comic collecting industry than Metropolis, and particularly Messrs. Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo? Nobody!!!! In Cantonese, they would be referred to as "Gods of Comic Collecting". So if the GOCC say that that's the way an auction should be done, well then by golly that's the way it should be done, and there should be nary a negative peep out of any of us! :sumo:

ComicConnect + Metro + Fishler = :cloud9::luhv:

They don't disclose the reserve like Heritage. You just have to guess whether your bid will meet or not.

But why is everyone making such a big fuss over the fact that so many books in the CC auction have reserves? Reserves are GREAT!!! They represent a highly desirable method of striking the right balance between the seller's wishes and the buyer's wishes! If it so happens that many books fail to meet reserves, some naysayers might interpret that as an unmitigated disaster of an auction, but not me! I say that just means that the supply axis and demand axis failed to meet for a particular transaction and the reserve helped to prevent an artificial intersection of the axes at a point that would have made one of the parties unhappy. NO negative connotations should be inferred from such an event!

All the great auction houses, which most definitely includes ComicConnect and their affiliate Metropolis Comics, allow reserves. So this is a well-established, creditable practice. And at the end of the day, who is more experienced in the comic collecting industry than Metropolis, and particularly Messrs. Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo? Nobody!!!! In Cantonese, they would be referred to as "Gods of Comic Collecting". So if the GOCC say that that's the way an auction should be done, well then by golly that's the way it should be done, and there should be nary a negative peep out of any of us! :sumo:

ComicConnect + Metro + Fishler = :cloud9::luhv:

Does it hurt to have your tongue planted so firmly in cheek? hm

methinks tim didn't get approved to bid :baiting:

I did, actually.

So I am making a concerted effort to make only positive comments about Metro, as apparently my previous comments about them on these boards were overwhelmingly negative.

methinks tim didn't get approved to bid :baiting:

I did, actually.

So I am making a concerted effort to make only positive comments about Metro, as apparently my previous comments about them on these boards were overwhelmingly negative.

I guess my sarcasm goes awry again :sorry: