• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Ticket Prices

17 posts in this topic

With all the talk of "repeat viewings" of the movies discussed here, I find myself wondering:

How much does it cost to see a movie where you live?

The AMC theaters where I live run $5 movies during the week (Monday through Thursday - all showtimes) and with that you can get a generously sized popcorn and soda for $5 as well. The weekends are around $9.50 for non-IMAX, non "dinner theater" showings (as there are a number of cineplexes here which have waiters/waitresses serving from full bars and restaurants attached to the theaters). Those tickets, I believe, run around $15-20.

During the week, IMAX showings are $8.00 and the "dinner theater" showings are $5.00.

Safe to say that I save the weekends for things OTHER than going to the movies.

Theater's here run from $3-15, just depending where you go. The $3 theater gets movies that are going to be on DVD in a matter of months, or bombed in the regular theater. The $15 is usually what we pay for IMAX. The locally owned place here, The Senator, is $9 no matter what. AMC, Regal, ect all vary in prices.

Interestingly, that Watchmen ticket offer (basically $4 a ticket if you buy the Xbox Live 1 month subscription) doesn't apply to AMC Theaters.

(It's only good until 3/20/2009.)

$8.50/ticket Fri-Sat night, $4.00 for a large soda, don't usually get popcorn

Down in Austin, they've got a cool $2 theater that catches movies just before they go to DVD. ($1 on Wednesdays) (thumbs u

$12.50 for regular, $16.50 for Imax at the place we go in manhattan. It's going to be at least $20 a person after popcorn and soda. We don't play around trying to get cheap rates during the week, just don't have time for movies then.

The benefit is that it is near my mother's house, so we get a free baby sitter, plus it's near plenty of restaurants, so we can make a "date" of it. The negative is that we then have to drive home for 30-40 minutes late at night to get back to Brooklyn. We're not at the point where our 3 1/2 year old is likely to sit for a 2 hour movie and we're unlikely to want to pay 12.50 adult ticket prices for any movie he may want to sit through for 2 hours.

We've seen about 4 movies in the theatre since our son was born. We used to go to the movies 3-4 times a month.

$9 - $10 at night... the "bargain" shows are $7 - $8. :P

Popcorn = $6 - $7

Soda = :screwy: (I bring in a 20 ounce soda)

BTW, the Dollar Tree Store has the same candy boxes that cost $3 - $5 in the theater for $1.

With 2 little kids, we rarely get out to the movies though. Maybe once or twice a year.

We watch 95% of our movies (and HBO shows) through Netflix which, pound for pound, is the best entertainment value around.