• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOM or TOMB OF DRACULA better reading???

45 posts in this topic

i think i read somewhere that TOD gets really good starting with issue 6 or 7?

i haven't read it yet.

I definitely suggest start at 1. The character arc back-story begins right there.

If you get the essentials, you are set right off the bat.

i think i read somewhere that TOD gets really good starting with issue 6 or 7?

i haven't read it yet.

The first couple of issues are "warm ups" but definitely start at the beginning. You are introduced to several characters that die later... lol

of course TOD is better than HOM.

HOM has nice covers but that's it.

Disagree. HOM has great stories. The only major difference, as aforementioned, is that HOM is comprised of unrelated short stories (which basically revolve around the theme of greed and evil). While TOD is one long continuous character arc with cliffhangers at each ending. I think you are really missing out by not enjoying some of the stories contained within HOM.

We discussed some here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2752436&fpart=1

In some ways, it's like comparing the twilight zone format to say, a feature film trilogy of dracula. Both serve different purposes. Or a short story anthology, to a novel.

Outside of their format, each has advantages. And HOM has some fantastic interior art as well; have you read some of wrightson's interior art based stories?

Honestly, while I love the long character based journey of TOD, if I had to give up one collection, TOD would be the 1st to go, not HOM.

Slightly off-topic, but I too was looking to get into Marvel horror books sometime soon and was debating between Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf By Night. Any suggestions as far as TOD vs. Werewolf?

Slightly off-topic, but I too was looking to get into Marvel horror books sometime soon and was debating between Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf By Night. Any suggestions as far as TOD vs. Werewolf?

TOD, easily (not that WBN is bad at all).

exactly (thumbs u

Thanks for the replies. I have definitely noticed that my collection is lacking in the horror department, unless you include Spawn :P which doesn't really count. The Son of Satan run caught my eye first, but I figured WBN or TOD would be a better place to start. Looks like it's TOD for me!

I read the first volume of TOD Essentials. It was a fun read. But I have to wonder where the "character development" goes next. I mean, what, does Dracula learn that being evil isn't such a good idea and start fighting crime?

I read the first volume of TOD Essentials. It was a fun read. But I have to wonder where the "character development" goes next. I mean, what, does Dracula learn that being evil isn't such a good idea and start fighting crime?

Keep reading, you'll enjoy it :hi:

Anyone buy the TOD Omnibus? I'm this close to puling the trigger, but part of me thinks my $65 would be better spent on something else. As I said before, I've read the first B&W essentials volume, but I'm wondering if the color will really be a treat.