• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please allow me to introduce myself (long-ish)

35 posts in this topic

Been lurking around for a few years, and finally have joined the boards a bit ago. Figured I'd give an introduction one day when I had some time to hang around and chat. Well, that day's today.

Started my collecting when I was around 11, mostly G. I. Joe, then eventually noticing the Punisher comics on the same stand and really got in to that title. I started babysitting and working whatever jobs I could get working on farms around me so I could afford more comics. I had a pretty good sized collection at this point, but, at that time the comic bubble had burst, and I sold it all out of annoyance and the lack of foresight that usually comes with being young. I always remained interested in comics, but didn't buy anything other than the occasional Punisher issue.

Fast-forward to 2006, my oldest son is 7 years old and hates reading, so, remembering how much I loved reading comics I found some that fit his age range. He starts reading and finds he really enjoys it. At this time, I'm still not collecting. Then, I see the Turner cover to Civil War 3 and decide I have to find out the story behind that cover. I start off by buying the main Civil War 1-7, then I found myself buying the 100+ tie-ins so I have the whole series. 3 years later, my son has a nice collection and has a decent copy of Tales of Suspense 48 coming to him in a few weeks for his confirmation gift. And, my office has changed from a place to tinker on my computers to a comic room, I wouldn't have it any other way. My oldest son and I have had a good time discussing comics and proper ways to store and handle them. And I've really enjoyed seeing him change his hate of reading into a love of reading and art. Myself, I'm enjoying collecting and got tired of watching some nice deals come across the for sale threads and not being able to log in with an :takeit: so I decided it was time to register.

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to the Boards. Looks like you got roped in the same time as me. I was out for years until Civil War and Planet Hulk. Hope you enjoy collecting, and glad your son found comics. People seem to neglect it may encourage reading in kids!

Enjoy your time here, and this guy :takeit: will be your best friend and worst enemy.

ROOK,

You are very lucky indeed. I tried the same thing with my son about 4 years ago and he just has not gotten into comics. All he cares about is video games.

and WTTB

You should get him playing some superhero video games so he gets to know the characters. He may just be too young to want to read about them yet.

ROOK,

You are very lucky indeed. I tried the same thing with my son about 4 years ago and he just has not gotten into comics. All he cares about is video games.

and WTTB

Oddly enough, I used video games(mostly Need for Speed series) and sports to help the oldest son out with his hand-eye coordination as his was lacking. I've been lucky so far and been able to turn most of my current and past hobbies in to chances to teach him and help him develop. Seems funny, but it's worked pretty well so far. Super hero video games are a good suggestion, my son wanted to know more about the marvel heroes after playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That and the movie has made my son become a pretty big Iron Man fan.

WTTB!!! I'm glad you've found your way back in. It can be kinda harsh 'round these parts but everybody's got good intentions. Usually. :P Congrats on getting your son to read more ;) That's always a toughie :D