• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman 14 9.6 sells in Comicconnect for.....gulp...$53,0000

63 posts in this topic

I look at this and, for the life of me, don't understand why people think that GA is expensive.

Entry-level for GA seems to be a bit more pricey... but from the looks of it, SA high grade is not much cheaper :o

one thing Im seeing however is that the HG Marvel keys have not been appearing for sale so often anymore. IMO that explains the 9.4 ASM#1 sale

when was the last sale 9.4 of any of Marvels top 10 books? The AF15s were already over a year ago. TOS39? years. XMen1? many years. JIM83? years. SgtFury? years? HULK1? never! FF1? never!

And this maybe explains the 9.6 ASM14, but jeez, 53K is way too much. Is 9.6 even the top grade? By this measure, I thought the 9.4 ASMs under #10 went cheaply in todays frothy market.

It was kind of offthe radar, but a CGC 9.4 copy of FF 1 sold in the June 22, 2002 Parrino Auction for $ 110 K......and it was an AWESOME copy.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

scan0005-4.jpg

thanx... thats proving my point. This sale was 7 years ago! Where is this book now?

one thing Im seeing however is that the HG Marvel keys have not been appearing for sale so often anymore. IMO that explains the 9.4 ASM#1 sale

when was the last sale 9.4 of any of Marvels top 10 books? The AF15s were already over a year ago. TOS39? years. XMen1? many years. JIM83? years. SgtFury? years? HULK1? never! FF1? never!

And this maybe explains the 9.6 ASM14, but jeez, 53K is way too much. Is 9.6 even the top grade? By this measure, I thought the 9.4 ASMs under #10 went cheaply in todays frothy market.

It was kind of offthe radar, but a CGC 9.4 copy of FF 1 sold in the June 22, 2002 Parrino Auction for $ 110 K......and it was an AWESOME copy.GOD BLESS...

scan0005-4.jpg

thanx... thats proving my point. This sale was 7 years ago! Where is this book now?

Wish I could say it's at my house lol ....GOD BLESS...

Long live the Arvel Comics Group!
lol

Also:

9.6 ASM #24 for $20,195.

9.6 ASM #31 for $8,995.

9.4 ASM #37 for $8,644.

Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

I look at this and, for the life of me, don't understand why people think that GA is expensive.

Because there's a big difference between $20K and $300K.

Also:

9.6 ASM #24 for $20,195.

9.6 ASM #31 for $8,995.

9.4 ASM #37 for $8,644.

Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

I think the Action #1 was a bargain if you compare it to the price of some of the Spideys. One of the top 11 graded ASM #14s goes for $53,000. And one of the top 4 graded Action #1 goes for a little more than 4 times that. That's probably a wacky comparison, but it does make you think.

The problem is that $53,000 is within most people's grasp. $317,000 is not.

Please type your response AFTER the last "".

My copy has a similar miswrap. But it bothers me much less than the back cover coming around to the front. Long live the Arvel Comics Group!

I agree. "White stripe" miswraps rightfully get penalized much more than miswraps that go the other way.

Also:

9.6 ASM #24 for $20,195.

9.6 ASM #31 for $8,995.

9.4 ASM #37 for $8,644.

Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

What's the most astonishing is that 25 years ago, these books were $10, $20, $50 TOPS for the mintiest copies out there.

Few things have appreciated as fast. Coins that are $20K now were still $2K, $3K, even $5K then.

its what I keep saying: we are a young collectible compared to those others. Maturing fast, but still cheap with momentum, although there are pockets of overexuberant prices that have leapt way ahread of normal.

We are not exempt from the laws of gravity, but, our best stuff is much much less expensive than the best stuff in more mature hobbies.

well, thats one way to look at it...and, remember I am speaking from a vantage point of buying for over 20 years. That helps. Loading up today at todays retail prices and your mileage will vary.

as always, Im trying to have it both ways.

Also:

9.6 ASM #24 for $20,195.

9.6 ASM #31 for $8,995.

9.4 ASM #37 for $8,644.

Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

Got to agree, those prices are mighty unbelievable, particularly for the 24 and 37. So unbelievable, in fact, that..well... I don't believe them!

Consider me skeptical that those amounts of money and the books themselves will truly change hands.

I understand the skepticism. But this wasn't the only recent auction where ASMs have gone for some really big prices. ComicLink's Rocky Mountain Spideys went for huge numbers and that was before the pedigree was even recognized by CGC.

And some of the ASMs in this auction (like the 2, 6, and 7) went for very reasonable prices which makes me doubt any shenanigans were going on.

If I had to try to explain it, I'd guess that the 37 was an upgrade candidate. And the 24 and 31 are really tough books to find in 9.6, especially the 24.

But I'm still a little shocked by the prices realized.

....the 24 may be a case of someone getting tired of waiting for a HG copy with a good wrap. That book often has a miswrap....only nice copy I've seen with a perfect wrap was an 8.5. The 31 is probably the most under appreciated key in the whole run....at least it used to be. First Gwen and Harry :cloud9: ...Petey wouldn't have been the same without 'em....plus first day in college...a superhero first.GOD BLESS...

My copy has a similar miswrap. But it bothers me much less than the back cover coming around to the front. Long live the Arvel Comics Group!

ASM24.jpg

very nice book (worship)

its what I keep saying: we are a young collectible compared to those others. Maturing fast, but still cheap with momentum, although there are pockets of overexuberant prices that have leapt way ahread of normal.

We are not exempt from the laws of gravity, but, our best stuff is much much less expensive than the best stuff in more mature hobbies.

well, thats one way to look at it...and, remember I am speaking from a vantage point of buying for over 20 years. That helps. Loading up today at todays retail prices and your mileage will vary.

as always, Im trying to have it both ways.

You n' me both.

The whole "buying for 20+ years" really does help A LOT. Things I bought 15 years ago, even 10, I couldn't get for 10 times that amount now (Turtles #1, for example.)

Also:

9.6 ASM #24 for $20,195.

9.6 ASM #31 for $8,995.

9.4 ASM #37 for $8,644.

Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.

Because there's a big difference between $20K and $300K.

I'm not comparing AF 15 or FF 1 to Action 1 but a top graded copy (one of several) of a middle of the run Spidey. I think it's a very reasonable point to make, not that I'm really expecting or looking for more competition for Gold.

I just want to know who is paying this kind of money for these books.

From people successfully playing the crack and resub game and reinvesting the profits into their own collections? Only thing that makes sense to me on the surface

scan0005-4.jpg

That is a killer book. I wonder if it's the Curator copy which is supposedly floating around out there somewhere.

Dunno...but if the scan wasn't doctored to enhance color and whiteness....it's the nicest copy in the world, IMHO...no offense to any of the other copies at 9.4 and 9.6. GOD BLESS...

Where is that book at these days?

As I recall....Doug traded his 9.6 to Tom for his 9.4 plus 175 K. I compared the scans of the above scan with Tom's old 9.4 and it doesn't seem to be the same book. That doesn't mean Tom doesn't have it, as he's known for having more than 1 run of some titles.It's hard to say....I'm not really the person to ask, those kind of transactions are WAY above my circle.GOD BLESS...

As I recall....Doug traded his 9.6 to Tom for his 9.4 plus 175 K. I compared the scans of the above scan with Tom's old 9.4 and it doesn't seem to be the same book. That doesn't mean Tom doesn't have it, as he's known for having more than 1 run of some titles.It's hard to say....I'm not really the person to ask, those kind of transactions are WAY above my circle.GOD BLESS...

Don't forget that there is a lot of shill bidding fraud on the internet auction comic sites. So much that the FTC is going to look into it. When you see "record prices" it is mostly a falsehood to get you to consign to them. Also pumps the value of some books they have in their private collection. Comiclink broke world records for their auctions when most of us are eating Kroger crackers for dinner. Someone has to question that right. Doesn't make sense Big red flag for us forensic accountants since sophisticated buyers in the stock market don't know sh ....t about comics so forget that theory.

Here is some information from the FTC. There are some major dealer rings forming in Coins Antiques, Comics etc.

FROM THE FTC . Bidding rings and price fixing at auctions

Crooked dealers and auctioneers use two tricks to score a big profit at the public's expense.

First, a group of dishonest dealers agree not to bid against each other. Only one of them bids, and, if the auction is poorly attended, is likely to win the item at way below value.

The ring meets after the auction and one member may then buy the item for something approaching its real value. The difference -- the profit -- is split between the ring members.

In the second of this type of antiques scam, unscrupulous auctioneers plant shills (bogus customers) on the floor or online to artificially bid up the price. If the shill unintentionally wins the item, it is set aside by the auctioneer to be offered again at a different sale.

Key actions: Work with reputable auction houses and watch for suspicious behavior at under-attended sales. Note if the auctioneer keeps putting items to one side after selling -- evidence that a shill won the sale.

These prices just can't be sustained. People who have been badly burned by the stock market are looking for a safe haven, as it were. I know a few well known analyst's have said go into art, comics, coins etc..

But at these prices. Theses new buyers will have to wait quite a bit before turning a reasonable ROI.... This type of buying will affect this hobby in a very bad way. Much sooner than later. Sales will start to fall and the free fall will start. That will be the time for the smart investor/collector to start buying.

It's a absolutely perfect time to be selling. Though I believe the true type of "grail books" will always be a solid investment. But when I see crazy uber high prices for nice, but not really grail type books. it makes me simply wonder when the bottom will fall out of these books.

The Action 1 that just sold for $317,200 is a prime example. Some experts/collectors thought this book had a chance at $400 - $450K!! As hot as the market is now. That is some type of new high water mark. The market will get just as cold as it is hot right now. IMHO.

Sell Now, Buy Later.

This in a nutshell is true, while there are some good values on books, it seems all key's that may tie into a movie or speculate on a movie is going up. I do believe people with this much money, is well connected and have inside info on what early movie scrips may or may not contain, and with the market the way it is, they think they are buying low.

The problem is these prices cannot be sustained, as I doubt enough collectors have th big bucks to shell out, I know I don't.

First, a group of dishonest dealers agree not to bid against each other. Only one of them bids, and, if the auction is poorly attended, is likely to win the item at way below value.

The ring meets after the auction and one member may then buy the item for something approaching its real value. The difference -- the profit -- is split between the ring members.

I don`t think think either of these are illegal or unethical. (shrug)

I find it really hard to believe that this tactic has been used much, if at all, in our hobby. How many books that are worth enough dollars to make it worthwhile to engage in all these shenanigans have gone for the kind of pittance necessary for the ring to make a reasonable profit?

And whichever member of the ring ends up with the book, now he has to try to sell it at a profit after the plummeting price is recorded in GPA and/or Heritage? Good luck brother. Maybe it would work once in a while, but enough to keep food on the table for the entire ring? I don`t think so.