• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

highest price for Dave Cockrum art?

28 posts in this topic

Heritage Comic Auctions' Feb. 26 and 27 Signature Auction in Dallas, Texas, was highlighted by the sale of Dave Cockrum's original cover art for X-Men (1st series) #102 (Dec 76) for $65,725, which includes the firm's 19.5% buyer's premium. The price was the highest paid to date for a post-1970s piece of original comics art at Heritage.

Heritage Auction Galleries Vice President Ed Jaster said, "This cover art is one of the most seminal from what is probably the most-loved X-Men story runs ever, The Phoenix Saga, from issues #101 to #107. The price that the winner was willing to pay to obtain a treasure like this shows how well-loved and important Cockrum's representation of these characters is.

is this a record?

255qbyd.jpg

No, I know of two private sales that were higher

Yeah I was gonna say....Dave worked on some pretty important books in that X-men run.

This is a big one publically for sure though.

C

What about that Cover that was purchased at a Philip Weiss auction about a year ago?? I seem to recall that going VERY high, but can't recall the specifics.

One of the pieces I regret selling most is the cover to X-men 126..... This thread is opening old wounds...

What about that Cover that was purchased at a Philip Weiss auction about a year ago?? I seem to recall that going VERY high, but can't recall the specifics.

One of the pieces I regret selling most is the cover to X-men 126..... This thread is opening old wounds...

Hi Brian; I seem to recall the Weiss cover #99 going around 55k.

And, yes, to me, it matters if the covers were inked by Dave as well. Especially true for the first run covers. Personally, I only collect the first run art from Dave, but there are some mighty fine examples of second run Cockrum covers inked by Austin... Bill Woo's Graily piece comes to mind...(the 126, sorry Brian). But, there are some treasures not inked by Dave, so who knows!

GS xmen 1 cover sold for more... but not a ton more... (sniff). I think I could stop collecting if I had that on my wall.

And, yes, to me, it matters if the covers were inked by Dave as well. Especially true for the first run covers. Personally, I only collect the first run art from Dave, but there are some mighty fine examples of second run Cockrum covers inked by Austin... Bill Woo's Graily piece comes to mind...

GS xmen 1 cover sold for more... but not a ton more... (sniff). I think I could stop collecting if I had that on my wall.

Man, what I could do with 55k in my bank account.

And, yes, to me, it matters if the covers were inked by Dave as well. Especially true for the first run covers. Personally, I only collect the first run art from Dave, but there are some mighty fine examples of second run Cockrum covers inked by Austin... Bill Woo's Graily piece comes to mind...

Man, what I could do with 55k in my bank account.

...some things are more important than eating... :luhv:

And, yes, to me, it matters if the covers were inked by Dave as well. Especially true for the first run covers. Personally, I only collect the first run art from Dave, but there are some mighty fine examples of second run Cockrum covers inked by Austin... Bill Woo's Graily piece comes to mind...(the 126, sorry Brian). But, there are some treasures not inked by Dave, so who knows!

Thanks for the info Dan!

hey dan any idea when that gsx1 cover sold? Just trying to get a sense of where that sale fit in for FMV at the time versus now

hey dan any idea when that gsx1 cover sold? Just trying to get a sense of where that sale fit in for FMV at the time versus now

I'm not at liberty to say, but man do I wish I had a shot at it...

I guess it all depends on what you consider "not a ton more". Seems like quite a bit more to me. Also, that was a few years ago...a lot of money then (AND now for that matter), but especially so given the context.

All this early X-men talk (R.I.P. Dave..) makes me want to show off a little of my own Cockrumy Goodness.

cockrumxmen107.jpg

Awesome cover, Dan (worship)

I remember when this popped up at SDCC in 2006 with an then-unknown (to OA collectors) seller. Funny enough...I'd known that seller for years through an entirely different business/hobby. A great guy and someone who bought all this stuff "back in the day" at early SDCC's. Simply because his sons liked the stuff. He has great stories about paying $35 for Byrne/Cockrum X-MEN pages and $200 for covers.

Nice to see him doing well with this stuff and a great opportunity for us modern collectors.

I understand, thank you

It doesn't matter what that cover sold for -- it was a private right place/right time deal for the buyer and seller. I also don't think when it sold vs where the market was matters either as that cover is iconic and would always command a top dollar amount that would be an outlier to any other sales.

It's also a perfect example of the type of art that becomes very quietly available and then very quietly goes into someone's collection where they keep the ownership private. You simply can't compare those deals to those made publicly as the circumstances are entirely different.