• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Weight lifting #s

192 posts in this topic

It could all be possible, but in my opinion, everything is a scam and an exageration. I have choked out several guys, and I also worked out for years lifting weights with my partner, who was Mr. North America twice.

He was 5'8" and weighed about 220-230, but he was into body building and not weight lifting capacity. There is a difference between lifting for records and body building. The strongest guys on the planet, usually look like a "blob". Check out past olympic winners. Some look like a heart attack about to happen.

My partner could do that lift, but I can not imagine me being able to choke him out. For one thing, his neck muscles were very strong, not to mention the strength in the rest of his body.

To choke out someone like being described here would take someone bigger and stronger. It is possible but probably exagerated a lot.

I have a case where the guy claiming he was injured says he (5' 10", 210 pounds) used to bench 455 and now can only bench 135, used to be able to sitting shoulder press 315.

For those of you who are big into lifting, where in the pantheon of freakishness is a 210 pounder benching 455? I'm assuming the guy (who was previously incarcerated) didn't have access to steroids, HGH, etc....Is this something you might see from an NFL player? Is that ratio not big enough for me to describe him as a "near olympic" calibre weight lifter) (I see the bench record is now over 1000 pounds...maybe that would be pushing it)... without getting into a lot of details here I'm looking at a way to describe to the judge (to whom these numbers likely mean nothing) just how frigging strong this guy claimed to be at the time (to undercut his claim about how the injury occurred) and perhaps a source to cite to.

I'd have to say this is very possible. I used to play football for a large school and some of my teammates were able to pull this off. In some cases it had a lot to do with arm length. I remember some of the running backs (between 185 and 205) used to bench in the 450 range. They were compact and the distance from their chest to their arms fully extended was short compared to some of the bigger guys. In some cases, running backs were "stronger" than the huge lineman. I played at 238 and at my best was able to bench 405. I was about average in strength on the team. The team was tested every week (50% of the team took a urine test randomly) - so there was no juicing. Also, arching your back can do wonderful things for your maximum bench press weight, with no coaches around to stop it - I can see some dude in prison throwing that much weight up.

I have a case where the guy claiming he was injured says he (5' 10", 210 pounds) used to bench 455 and now can only bench 135, used to be able to sitting shoulder press 315.

For those of you who are big into lifting, where in the pantheon of freakishness is a 210 pounder benching 455? I'm assuming the guy (who was previously incarcerated) didn't have access to steroids, HGH, etc....Is this something you might see from an NFL player? Is that ratio not big enough for me to describe him as a "near olympic" calibre weight lifter) (I see the bench record is now over 1000 pounds...maybe that would be pushing it)... without getting into a lot of details here I'm looking at a way to describe to the judge (to whom these numbers likely mean nothing) just how frigging strong this guy claimed to be at the time (to undercut his claim about how the injury occurred) and perhaps a source to cite to.

455# bench @ 210# is impressive. It's not insane but it's definitely at the high end of the curve. At 250# a 455# bench is not nearly as special. A good rule of thumb is anything over double body weight (especially when you're over 200#) is what I consider strong.

A 315# military press is also pretty impressive at that weight depending on how strict it is. However, if the guy could cleanly bench 455# then 315# seem doable.

The trick is to find someone who can back up those numbers (body weight and press weight). Lifting numbers are like fishing stories. I often tell people I could squat 800#. Technically that's not true because I never actually squatted 800#. I've hit a 765# triple and I've done walkouts with close to 900#. That's all very impressive especially at 250# like I am now. But at the time I was nearly 300#.

Sheesh! When I was a young artillery lieutenant, I cam in at about 185lbs (I'm between 5'8 and 5'9) and was benching between 250-285 lbs (more in winter, less during running season). Can't IMAGINE 400+!!!

Like I said, the guy was in prison. While I don't think he had access to the juice, he had nothing to do but lift weights. That's what most of these guys spend their days doing. It's a good thing the taxpayers can subsidize creating bigger and badder criminals. Luckily some of the corrections officers look like NFL offensive linemen.

If this guy was in prison, he most likely had access to the juice. Anyone whos been around powerlifting,competing or judging, would know guys in the 198 lb class are benching much more than that. Mekulys Gym was one of the most prominent mess hole powerlifting gyms in the south side of chicago. A real place for animals that wanted to compete and get strong. Its long been out of business but in its heyday, was theeeee place to go and get strong. They had a bench press board in there for the top twenty benches. The worst was 430 and there was about 40 guys tied on that. The owner of the gym trained at the 198 class. He was a con

sistent 495-510 bench presser ( in a sanctioned AAU meet ), and there was many more in there that could do the same. If you have access to power racks, heavey dumbells, someone with the knowledge of how to train a big bench, using a power suit, elbow wraps and a few other tricks, benches at this weight are very common. This was all going on up to the mid eighties so I'm sure the lifts are alot higher now. I dont follow it no

more so I couldnt say what a big bench at this weight is. Also, anyone whos ever been to a power lifting meet knows benching 400 in a gym with your a foot off the bench, is nothing like doing it in a sanction event with three judges. Just my 2c

DRX

Sheesh! When I was a young artillery lieutenant, I cam in at about 185lbs (I'm between 5'8 and 5'9) and was benching between 250-285 lbs (more in winter, less during running season). Can't IMAGINE 400+!!!

Like I said, the guy was in prison. While I don't think he had access to the juice, he had nothing to do but lift weights. That's what most of these guys spend their days doing. It's a good thing the taxpayers can subsidize creating bigger and badder criminals. Luckily some of the corrections officers look like NFL offensive linemen.

Well, I'm 5'10" 215lbs right now and last Labor day I finally got up 350lbs on bench at age 35. Been lifting forever and all natural. I have a friend that did 315lbs at a weight of 160lbs and he was a hair away from getting 320lbs - all natural).

I know it's certainly not impossible for him to have gotten that much, but out of 27 guys I know or have been aquainted with via the gym, through friends, etc that have done atleast 300lbs on bench, he and i are the only ones who got there without ever doing any steroids. So, obviously people can get to decent weights without them, but statistically speaking, I'd be very suspicious this guy was likely getting some juice if what he's claiming is true.

On a similar note...a guy I went to High school with recently got out of jail and had turned from a wirely built track star guy to a sherman tank. I am absolutely positive steroids can and are being obtained in prisons. This shouldn't be too surprising being that other illegal drugs are quite frequently bought and sold in prisons.

I benched 385 when i used to work out everyday. I weighed about 245-250 at the time. I cant imagine benching 100 pounds more than that. A friend of mine though who was about the same weight used to put up almost 400. his body was funny looking though.

I have friends who are probably no more then 200 pounds and I say they are benching well into the high 300's. I am 198 pounds and can bench a mere 250-260, yes I am weak compared to those guys.

Another guy at our gym was benching big numbers and suffered an injury while on the bench, he tore his shoulder muscle away. His injury is repaired however his bench weight is way down because of the injury. I am not sure if he will fully recover but he is only benching half the weight he use to.

well, actually, the my strategy is to accept his 455 bench at face value and portray him as a circus strong man who no way in heck could have been choked for 5 minutes by some mere mortal who he could have picked up and tossed across the room like a bag a garbage.

I bet one of those 180 pound Gracie family brazilian ju jitsu guys could maintain a hold/choke hold for 5 minutes on the human bull. Being able to bench press a buick in no way means the guy could fight his way thru some master martial artist who weighs nothing.

I am sure no one will believe this, but again with the high school stories.... I dont know anything about Chi, but I knew a martial artist in high school , a friend of mine at the time actually, who could do a relaxed push with one hand with what appeared to be zero effort, when I had his arm pressed on a wall. And I know for sure I was easily able to press twice the weight he could. I was the biggest lifter in school back in the day when I thought that meant something (yeah, what happened over the years, sob) but that event blew me away.

Back in my younger days we had a World Champion Tae Kwon Do guy visting from Korea run a special training session for a week. The skill of guys at that level always amazed me, if they hit you at full force you most likely wouldn't get up or even know what hit you.