• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Check out my C-Link win.....AF15 UN-slabbed by yours truly!

71 posts in this topic

What kind of a nut would unslab a 6.0 AF #15???? Buy a reprint reader copy for gods sake! Anyone can slip with a knife.

:o

Aren't comics for reading?

Yeah, but THAT copy? Well, I for one would be a bit shaky handling that book.

I'd be much more at ease and would more often flip thru a 2.0! (thumbs u

What kind of a nut would unslab a 6.0 AF #15???? Buy a reprint reader copy for gods sake! Anyone can slip with a knife.

Aren't comics for reading?

Yeah, but THAT copy? Well, I for one would be a bit shaky handling that book.

I'd be much more at ease and would more often flip thru a 2.0! (thumbs u

Really when you think about it, how much are you actually enjoying the book when sealed in a slab?

I crack most of my books out now...sure they are mostly lower or mid grade now that I have collected GA but some are high grade relatively speaking. Nothing is more fun about this hobby than flipping through an old book, smelling the paper, reading the ads and the less familiar back stories and just holding the book.

I would feel a little less comfortable cracking a 9.6 or a 9.8 book but you can read a mid grade book, even ding it and probably not change the grade in this case.

I know it's not always feasible or safe...and heck books might not even return in the same grade if you resubmit them but it is sure a lot of fun and at the heart of the hobby IMO.

Kudos to Peewee for showing us the blinding white interior to his FF #1 and now this book!

:applause:

The one key I own that is slabbed is my ASM 1. I've kept it slabbed strictly for safety purposes. The front cover is pretty darn close to being detached and thanks to tape along the entire spine, it's still attached. And while it's got an OW designation, it still looks like I'd have to be pretty darn careful handling it for fear of causing any damage. In THAT case, the slab is for protection purposes and nothing else. My AF 15, however, I have read once or twice :grin:

And WOW is this one a BEAUTY!!! Congrats on picking it up!

Really when you think about it, how much are you actually enjoying the book when sealed in a slab?

I crack most of my books out now...sure they are mostly lower or mid grade now that I have collected GA but some are high grade relatively speaking. Nothing is more fun about this hobby than flipping through an old book, smelling the paper, reading the ads and the less familiar back stories and just holding the book.

I know it's not always feasible or safe...and heck books might not even return in the same grade if you resubmit them but it is sure a lot of fun and at the heart of the hobby IMO.

You're a looney. :baiting:

You're a looney. :baiting:

Guilty as charged.

75996.jpg.86c257062fd873b9fb4bf05ee28a1dea.jpg

Says the guy called "comics are fun". :roflmao:

Should I change my name to "Comicsarefun, but don't let the fun make you grind up your $20,000 collection by being silly"??

And never off your wife while she is holding your AF #15 and a pair of pinking shears.

Fun is fun, but if I owned that book, it would be slabbed and in the bank vault!

(shrug)

I admire the guy for not being a capon about his comic book. He wanted to own an unrestored copy of AF 15. He wanted to read it. To smell it.

Surely as a grown man he can take care of it as well as CGC did while they were grading it?

Or are we talking about heart surgery here? It's a FINE copy. More than likely, he could drop it a few feet, and it might still be a FINE copy.

To each their own I guess. But one ding, one scratch..etc can cost you thousands $

Not to mention it will cost him $1k to recertify the book when selling. It's a nice book and frankly I would be giddy if I had that book in my posession.

Thank God that CGC plastic came along in 1999 to finally save that 6.0 Action Comics #1 from disintegrating. I bet it was a 9.6 when that guy bought it in 1950.

:P

Might have been an 8.0?

Anyway, you miss the point. Once a high $ book is slabbed, it is best to leave it be simply because it is so easy to damage a book when taking it out of the slab! If the winner of that Action #1 wants to smell it and read it, so be it...crack it out. But he will be shocked when he sees the cost CGC wants to re-slab it when it is time to sell!!!! And he might not like the 5.5 they give it because his thumb was dirty when he read it...and god forbid he cleans the smudgy finger print off and it comes back 6.0 PLOD! Many things can happen to a comic ouside a slab, and most of them are bad.

Kinda reminded me of the Tec 18 that Socratic Wonder used to have. He had it in a slab as a blue label and I guess he thought that the book was undergraded and so he resubbed it and it came back a purple label. How it came back a purple label nobody knows.

To each their own I guess. But one ding, one scratch..etc can cost you thousands $

Not to mention it will cost him $1k to recertify the book when selling. It's a nice book and frankly I would be giddy if I had that book in my posession.

uh...he can recertify it for free with a coupon... (shrug):makepoint: