• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who buys slabs just for assurance of the grade, then cracks it open?

99 posts in this topic

Here's a few books I deslabbed followed by the reason I deslabbed them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

BAT15FRONT.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

BAT15C.jpg

ADV1.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

ADV5.jpg

INTERIOR FROM BOY COMMANDOS 23

BC232.jpg

Interact?

It's a comic book, not a female doh!

For HG books, that some spend hours and days and sometimes years searching for and finally finding one, the last thing I would want to do is interact or start finger fugging with. Whether I keep it in a mylar or slab, rest assure it will not be touched again in my lifetime :acclaim:

For everything else, heck, crack them over your thick skulls for all I care :banana:

Here's a few books I deslabbed followed by the reason I deslabbed them. GOD BLESS...

BAT15FRONT.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

BAT15C.jpg

ADV1.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

ADV5.jpg

BC232.jpg

Great post

The day I won't de-slab is the day I'll stop collecting. It's simply not worth it to me view a killer book through layers of plastic as I know I'm prevented from fully enjoying the book, which might be fine if you're viewing someone else's copy but not so fine when it's yours.

If you are the type of person who flits in and out of comic collecting or from one from one focus to another then de-slabbing will carry a cost that many would (and possibly should) find unacceptable. In my case I started collecting long before CGC opened their doors and I'm pretty careful to buy books I wish to keep.

Tailspin-2.jpg

Tailspin-3.jpg

That's exactly my problem! I change focus at the drop of a hat, and I only have so much money to spend.

I love comics, but you are fooling yourself if you think the value is not important. Unslabbing costs money, and if you want to spend it fine, but for me it is too costly.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting perspective ....I always thought I bought and loved Comic Books because they MEANT something DEEPER to me than $$$ (shrug) not because of their "assumed" market value... that was always a BONUS for me doh!

who would have known

Another idealist...Please send me all your expensive comics and I will replace them with cheap than means something "deeper" to you.

The money matters, and if you claim you don't care, prove it! I get so steamed by guys who claim to be above the money and only love the "comic" for itself. What a load of .

:devil:

I'm fooling myself or I'm hypocrite? hm

Tough choice. :P

"Whether I keep it in a mylar or slab, rest assure it will not be touched again in my lifetime "

So reading at looking at the interiors are not important to you? :screwy:

To each his own, but for me a comic book should be enjoyed for everything within the covers as much as, if not more than, the exterior.

p.s. Read your post again, and if you're talking about crazy high grade books, then I can understand, just for fear of damaging it. (thumbs u

CGC has to love the de-slabbers. Because when they want to sell those raw books at top price, they'll have to send the books back in for grading.

For HG or valuable books, like Nik, I will not entertain the notion of de-slabbing because IMO they look nearly as nice as mylars and keep my books safe from people and other elements. :cloud9:

Trades, reprints and beat up readers are made for a purpose after all...

BAT15FRONT.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

BAT15C.jpg

ADV1.jpg

REASON TO DESLAB

ADV5.jpg

BC232.jpg

Great post

Great topic.....but don't get me wrong, I've got a few early Marvel SA's in high grade that will be staying in the slab as long as I own them....but I have them downloaded to subconscious recall plus reprints. Those old GA's are just different for some reason.....nothing beats the feel of one of those thick meaty GA beauties in your bare hands. GOD BLESS...

"Whether I keep it in a mylar or slab, rest assure it will not be touched again in my lifetime "

To each his own, but for me a comic book should be enjoyed for everything within the covers as much as, if not more than, the exterior.

p.s. Read your post again, and if you're talking about crazy high grade books, then I can understand, just for fear of damaging it. (thumbs u

Maybe I already have seen the interiors :o

Maybe I already have seen the art and read the story :o :o

That's cool as long as you never plan on selling your collection. Have fun being burried with them!

:insane:

Yeah, Overstreet, and HIGH grade books, were never around before CGC came along :makepoint:

I think it has been well documented that 99% of the time, a high $ book gets more money at sale when slabbed by CGC. "Think before you ask these questions Mitch..."

I would like to see the documented proof on that statement. More likely that CGC gets more bucks in 9.4 and above, the rest of the time, the slabbed grade can depress the value, as there is no "hope" left......., :sorry:

short of pressing :P

Hello my Oregonian neighbor! Examples are everywhere, but I will give you a good one. Marvel Mystery Comics #10 on ComicLink. Bid of $1775 for the CGC 4.0. Bid of $1200 for the ComicLink graded 4.0 right next to it. That's a 48% increase for the slab! Spend an hour on eBay and you can find countless examples.

Anecdotal evidence is everywhere, as are general/isolated examples that prove your point, but you would be hard-pressed to come up with 99%. Of course, it does depend on what your definition of high dollar is. I'm a cheap azz, so high dollar is probably a low figure to some of the high-rollers around here....., Spend an hour on eBay and you can find countless examples.:baiting:

So once you've seen and read it once, it's sealed away forever?? Again, I agree if it's super high grade, but I don't really agree with that reasoning whatsoever.

The day I won't de-slab is the day I'll stop collecting. It's simply not worth it to me view a killer book through layers of plastic as I know I'm prevented from fully enjoying the book, which might be fine if you're viewing someone else's copy but not so fine when it's yours.

If you are the type of person who flits in and out of comic collecting or from one from one focus to another then de-slabbing will carry a cost that many would (and possibly should) find unacceptable. In my case I started collecting long before CGC opened their doors and I'm pretty careful to buy books I wish to keep.

Tailspin-2.jpg

Tailspin-3.jpg

That's exactly my problem! I change focus at the drop of a hat, and I only have so much money to spend.

I love comics, but you are fooling yourself if you think the value is not important. Unslabbing costs money, and if you want to spend it fine, but for me it is too costly.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, interesting perspective ....I always thought I bought and loved Comic Books because they MEANT something DEEPER to me than $$$ (shrug) not because of their "assumed" market value... that was always a BONUS for me doh!

who would have known

Another idealist...Please send me all your expensive comics and I will replace them with cheap than means something "deeper" to you.

The money matters, and if you claim you don't care, prove it! I get so steamed by guys who claim to be above the money and only love the "comic" for itself. What a load of .

Okay now that you cracked it open and read it. Would you let anyone else read it also? :popcorn:

Tailspin-2.jpg

Tailspin-3.jpg

who would have known

Okay now that you cracked it open and read it. Would you let anyone else read it also? :popcorn:

Comics with LB Cole covers usually don't have much worth reading. :blush:

There are a handful of folks who I have and will let read most any book I own. They have reciprocated the favor to me and none of us buy "reader" copies.

Interact?

It's a comic book, not a female doh!

For HG books, that some spend hours and days and sometimes years searching for and finally finding one, the last thing I would want to do is interact or start finger fugging with. Whether I keep it in a mylar or slab, rest assure it will not be touched again in my lifetime :acclaim:

For everything else, heck, crack them over your thick skulls for all I care :banana:

P*ssy

:baiting:

Now let me go crack open my new Hulk 181 cgc 9.0.... oh wait....

A lot of great points on both sides, and here's my 2c

I buy CGC-graded books (mostly in the 7.0-8.5 range) now and then and crack them out of their slabs so I can read them. To me the CGC certification is validation of the book's grade and a guarantee that it hasn't been restored.

When I do this I understand that I'm making the book less liquid and I won't be able to sell it for the price I paid at that time. I'm planning to hold onto my collection for another 10-20 years (:wishluck:), so hopefully this practice isn't having a huge financial impact.

Even if you never crack your books out of their slabs CGC recommends re-slabbing them every 7 years, so there will be a cost to keeping them slabbed if you decide to follow their recommendation. Granted, this cost is still less than what you can lose by de-slabbing a book, but it is a cost nonetheless.

I haven't bought any real expensive CGC-graded books yet, so it'll be interesting to see if I decide to de-slab it when I do buy one...

Maybe you're selling all of your comics and losing interest in the hobby and, therefore, not the person to be listening to. :o :o :o

:P

I think I'm closing in on 250 books bought slabbed and then cracked out :cloud9:

Reprints are nothing, you need the real experience, smell the paper, leaf through a book that was bought almost 50 years ago by some kid for 10 or 12 cents...

And leaf through it again a few months later when you feel like it.

Comics are my hobby and a hobby costs money, so every book I buy I conider the money to be gone...like dining at a real expensive restaurant.

I'm kind of surprised at the number of "crackers" out there.

Count me in the club. I'm a collector, i.e. an accumulator, and I don't intend to sell the core of my collection until I'm on my deathbed, and there's no substitute for being able to "interact" with my books.

By the way, I buy midgrade Atom and SA and I don't think I've ever paid significantly more for a slab than the book would go for raw. It's a nice bonus that the book has been examined and certified, but not a bonus I'm willing to spend much extra money for. So I figure if I do decide to sell a deslabbed book, I'll still have the label and probably won't lose much money on the deal.