• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4x guide? really?

11 posts in this topic

Can anyone explain this? Usually Overstreet seems Overpriced for these low-grade books.. but they were bid up to 4x guide. I don't get it.

Popeye #5 FINE -- OS $33 -- SOLD @ 127.50!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138945885

Four Color 219 (Swee'Pea) VG+ -- OS $18 -- SOLD @ $93!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138946865

Those prices are pretty cheap, so 4x guide is not that surprising. I know I paid 3x guide for a book of of Met last year, they had another copy and I almost bought it this year, someone else had bought it now. I think for lower price uncommon books paying multiples is not a big deal.

Bruce

I was at local eatery last week called, "The Monk's Diner". They had a big screen set-up showing Popeye cartoons from the early era. My kids loved the shorts. I do miss seeing the spinach eating guy in the public eye. Seems to be a great character for a revival.

Can anyone explain this? Usually Overstreet seems Overpriced for these low-grade books.. but they were bid up to 4x guide. I don't get it.

Popeye #5 FINE -- OS $33 -- SOLD @ 127.50!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138945885

Four Color 219 (Swee'Pea) VG+ -- OS $18 -- SOLD @ $93!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360138946865

The books look conservatively graded ( G-d forbid ), and Dell is still a highly collectible and collected title. With OPG prices under $50, it seems like it would be easy for these to go for 4X Guide........(as opposed to each being $500 in OPG...then 4X is really something! ).

All it takes is 2 collectors looking to complete a run and need these issues, and you have........

The Popeye 5 is the rocket cover right? Double kitsch.

Also that's the guy I got my KDF #20 from. He called it a VG. I think it's closer to VG/F or even Fine. So, he grades conservatively.

I was at local eatery last week called, "The Monk's Diner". They had a big screen set-up showing Popeye cartoons from the early era. My kids loved the shorts. I do miss seeing the spinach eating guy in the public eye. Seems to be a great character for a revival.

Perhaps we can get Robin Williams to do a sequel. :insane:

Also that's the guy I got my KDF #20 from. He called it a VG. I think it's closer to VG/F or even Fine. So, he grades conservatively.

Explain the rocket thing to me.. Overstreet even mentions it. Are there some collectors out there that focus on rocket covers?

The books look conservatively graded ( G-d forbid ), and Dell is still a highly collectible and collected title. With OPG prices under $50, it seems like it would be easy for these to go for 4X Guide........(as opposed to each being $500 in OPG...then 4X is really something! ).

All it takes is 2 collectors looking to complete a run and need these issues, and you have........

It's pretty hard to tell the grade of those books. The scans are terrible. Small, grainy, and cropped. :shrug: I didn't even bid in these auctions.. just watched. I want both those books, but I'm holding out for high grade copies.

I completely understand the outcome of a bidding war. I paid out the nose for a run of King Comics in the Nov ComicLink auction. I always wonder who I was bidding against. :think: Another boardie, perhaps?

Explain the rocket thing to me.. Overstreet even mentions it. Are there some collectors out there that focus on rocket covers?

Rockets, sharks, robots, flags, bondage. There are themes on covers that people collect that cross genre boundaries and sometimes even push books into "classic cover" territory.