• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

will the early Image books ever be worth anything?

59 posts in this topic

i know they have some value. but will the day ever come when books like Savage Dragon 1, Spawn 1, Shadow Hawk 1, Youngblood 1, WildC.A.T.S. 1, etc. go for money like some of the BA key books go for today? you wold think that at some point people will look back and feel some nostalgia for those early days of Image.

or we're there just to many printed, or are they just not that good?

are there a ton of these books on the census graded at 9.8? or did they fall off the charts before CGC came around?

anyways, just something i've always wondered. :)

I've seen waaay too many of these books in the $1 bin over the years, high grade books too. I don't ever see these things fetching much of anything. The Spawn #1, the best one of the ones you mentioned, only fetches about $40 in CGC 9.8 condition.

Agreed with dekeuk, the only way you will see true value from these books is in 9.9 or 10.0 conditions...very rare...

If Spawn and Savage Dragon are still in print in another 20 years, then I would imagine that they will be comparable to some of the common bronze books. But, the other overprinted and since discontinued titles will probably never be worth much more than their present-day value.

There are a few of the lesser-published Image #1 books in CGC 9.8 that are sought after by some of the registry set competititors. I have CGC 9.8 copies of Cyberforce 1 and WildC.A.T.S. Trilogy 1 as well as CGC 9.8 copies of some of the puzzle piece variants (Stormwatch, Cyberforce, Kindred & Deathblow) that I listed in the VCC without generating much interest.

A better comparison is to mid-80s books, which is when comics really started being consistently bagged and boarded. In the early and mid-70s, bagging and boarding was just starting to take off, so the attrition rate was still pretty high.

In contrast, with some very limited exceptions, I don`t think anyone sees 80s books ever climbing to the price levels of early BA, and that will be true in 10-20 more years. So the answer in my opinion is that the Image books and other books from the 90s will never be worth much, because there will always be an inexhaustible supply of ultra-HG copies out there.

In contrast, with some very limited exceptions, I don`t think anyone sees 80s books ever climbing to the price levels of early BA, and that will be true in 10-20 more years.

I really haven't looked, but doesn't Wolverine 1 (regular series) do pretty well in 9.8 (not talking the mini, boarding wasn't as prevalent during the mini). I guess ditto Punisher Mini as well. Of course, we're talking about big print run books... not an oddball title that took off (Albedo, etc.)... or some really low print run Marvel during the bleak years. Wolvie 1 must have had a big print run, no?

I'm guessing Spawn 1 and Savage Dragon 1 might be worthwhile slabs even in 9.8 in the long term...but I don't see them doing anything like the expensive marvel BA books (not talking hulk 181, comparison might by HFH #1 (tough in grade), Spotlight 5...)...if they continue to be published for another 10+ years. Spawn 1 sells for a couple of bucks at least now for whatever reason even though there are zillions. Dunno about SD #1.

Maxx was probably the best of the run but there are sooooo many of those in every dollar box. I hate passing on them because I liked the series, but I really don't need another copy.

a 10.0 Image slab will probably be the equivalent of a 9.8 bronze slab

If you can get a 10.0 from CGC it will be worth $$$, anything less will be just too common to command big bucks

But you're really not making the argument that books themselves will be worth anything, but instead that the CGC label is the valuable item and what imbues the book with any sort of value. :shrug:

If you can get a 10.0 from CGC it will be worth $$$, anything less will be just too common to command big bucks

But you're really not making the argument that books themselves will be worth anything, but instead that the CGC label is the valuable item and what imbues the book with any sort of value. :shrug:

How is that any different than any book published by Marvel or DC between 1975 and 1985? You can buy any of those books for a couple bucks UNLESS you want a slabbed high grade copy.

Maxx was probably the best of the run but there are sooooo many of those in every dollar box. I hate passing on them because I liked the series, but I really don't need another copy.

With Maxx, it's actually the later issues that are actually worth money as there aren't a plethora of uber high-grade copies (lots of black covers and smaller print runs). (thumbs u

How is that any different than any book published by Marvel or DC between 1975 and 1985? You can buy any of those books for a couple bucks UNLESS you want a slabbed high grade copy.

And that, my good man, is why I have the collecting rep that I do! ;)

No.

Unless some bizarre event were to happen, whereby the Image books of 1992-1994 are all thrown in a mass pile into the Pacific ocean, then no, they will never be "worth" anything.

Comic book printruns in the millions + mintfreak collectors who bought dozens of copies and kept them in perfect condition = 25 cent books for decades.

Now, these are regular release books, not premiums (golds, plats, holofoil, laser-beam-shooting-your-eye-out covers, etc.)

And there are, of course, exceptions to this rule....