• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #93 in CGC 9.6 sold for $6,889.00---- gasp!!!

42 posts in this topic

In the past 2 months?

:gossip: It's possible. I bought this for just under $100; it's currently at CGC, and I think it's a 9.2 with a shot at 9.4.

sub01.jpg

good luck, but if this were the grading contest I put in a 9.0 and hope to nail it or be one grade off.

Looks at least 9.2 to me, from the scan.

This book also gets the benefit of a serious bump from Neal Adams collectors. I owned a dozen or so copies at one point, and the best I could do was a 9.2. FWIW, the story is great and even though I love Adams' DC stuff, the artwork in this issue is up there with the best Batman he ever did. (thumbs u

I still think that $7K is stupid money on this copy, but all it takes is two HG Avengers collectors or two HG Neal Adams collectors (or a mixture of both) to drive it up.

I am a fan of Adams art, but 7k is too much for that book. While I generally think Adams was a technically better artist then Kirby, and I like the look at his art more them Kirby's, he just could not draw the Thing like Kirby did. But, nobody drew the Thing like Kirby. Byrne came close during the early part of his FF run.

If dealers are paying $300 for a 9.0 that makes a 9.2 worth $600, 9.4 $1200 and a 9.6 somewhere in the $3000 based on the way things used to work in the BA. Last GPA has this book at $3500 which is strong but fair IMO for a tough, hot Bronze semi key in highest graded 9.6.

R.

I have to agree with Roy's formula... 2500-3000 is not unreasonable. I'm going to the grave with my copy so you can subtract one from the census. :gossip:

I am a fan of Adams art, but 7k is too much for that book. While I generally think Adams was a technically better artist then Kirby, and I like the look at his art more them Kirby's, he just could not draw the Thing like Kirby did. But, nobody drew the Thing like Kirby. Byrne came close during the early part of his FF run.

Which Kirby Thing - the early stay puft marshmallow man Thing? :baiting:

The copy in the Clink auction has a different barcode number then the one in that registry set.

My bad. Same issue, same page quality, same grade... And Carl bought his around the same time. I know he regularly buys Avengers in the CLink auctions, and often sets record prices.

Where can you see a large scan of the CLink copy? I can only find the thumbnail in their "record prices" section. There's no click-through to view the large scan.

hmmm if I had 6800 to spend on one comic what would it be?? hm certainly NOT Avengers 93 in cgc 9.6 :screwy: I agree with the original comment that this book should come with a crack pipe. A crack smoker could not afford a luxury purchase like this with the expensive habit they already have. So the buyer needs to stop wasting his/her superfluous amounts of money on like this when they can put it to better use smoking crack.

Sorry bad mood this morning, I don't mean the book itself is - I mean paying that much money for the book is . I agree with the consensus that this is 1k to 1.5k book.