• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

this Xmen page just sold for a dollar !

25 posts in this topic

I don't see the big deal here. It's a pretty boring page. Except for Prof. X showing up in the last panel, there are no well-known characters on it, Scott Eaton isn't exactly a huge name and it is a modern piece from a one-shot that no one probably cares about or has any emotional/nostalgic connection to. Should it have sold for more than a buck? Maybe, but when you factor in the economic times we are in, I'm a bit surprised it sold at all.

Just one man's opinion. YMMV. :)

$1 items are a money loser, especially if $12 (the S&H he quoted) was his actual cost to ship, he has to pay paypal on the $12 (~3%, or 36 cents) and while normally its no big deal.. he only sold the item for a buck!

surely it was worth more than $1. It wasn't a great page and I didn't check shipping, but surely it was worth $20 including shipping, no?

Obviously not, seeing that it only sold for $1 :)

Heh, but ebay is not the hard and fast "true market value", how many times have you seen an auction end and said, wow, is that all? I would have paid more for it.

In this case, i would easily have paid $1.25 instea of $1 had I known I would win! :)

Malvin

The reality is there are 20,000+ pages of comic out there just like this one and they're all worth about a buck.

This is true, and a very astute observation.

While everyone seems to want the same certain types of OA, the corollary also is true, namely that there are certain types of OA that everyone doesn't want.

The case in point here -- a page that (almost) no one wanted.

- A

And thus the assertion that the emergence of the original art market has contributed to the splashification of the comic book, in the hopes of additional art sales after publication, whereas the old guys viewed the originals largely as a means to an end.

-e.

had the seller started the auction at $9.99 I suspect that is roughly what he/she would have gotten for it. it's just plain dopey to start something like that at $1. generic boring stuff like that from a mainstream title usually sells for like $10-$20 over the last 4 or 5 years so in this climate right now I can see how there were not more bidders.

I think paypal is 35 cents PLUS 3.9%

ebay starting fee for a 99 cent auction is what? 35 cents?

ending fee ?

yeah I would have been upset. With that kind luck I bet the buyer wanted to do a pickup !

Well, eBay just isn't a place to make money anymore. Sure, if you want to dump something at a loss, then maybe it's okay. But to actually MAKE a profit? Nah, not really.

Unless you happen to be selling STOLEN items.... then you might make a profit, maybe. :whistle:

Well, eBay just isn't a place to make money anymore. Sure, if you want to dump something at a loss, then maybe it's okay. But to actually MAKE a profit? Nah, not really.

Considering that there is 100 pages of stuff in the original art category, someone is making money, not everyone there is selling at a loss, otherwise it would soon stop!

Malvin