• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoa Nelly ... insane Wonder Nedor

68 posts in this topic

Still wondering ... did Overstreet 39 ... give the Nedors a bigger percentage boost as the market is doing ... or not?

My Overstreet is the 36 th edition...and this is mind blowing to me. Recently a boardie was selling a couple of Wonder Comics ... I think a 2 and a 5 ... when I Gerbered the whole run ... there was a Suspense 3 type cover if I ever saw one ... not with hooded men, Nazis, girls and Bats, but a skull and cross bones hero origen, Hitler tied to a stake, flag cover with red color just popping.

The Fox Wonder is crazy nice ... it's scarce according to Overstreet .... CGC shows 11 copies graded 6 unrestored...got a great cover Eisner art ... and it's $24k

The Nedor Wonder is also crazy nice ... it's scarce not according to Overstreet, but CGC shows 8 copies and 2 unrestored ... I remember John Snyder adverstising to find a nice one years ago ... maybe the Church copy... and the cover it's not just great ... it's insane :insane: Hitler Cover, Flag Cover, Schomburg Cover ... and the price $2k

Is the Fox 12 times better? Both great books ... but I don't Wonder at the best buy ... what is that Nedor Wonder going for in guide 9.2 now ... shoot what's it going for in guide 4.0? Shades of Exciting 39 ...

That's an under the radar book for sure.

Dude, while I appreciate your devotion to Nedors, couldn't you have posted this in the other Nedor thread that you created, that's still high on page one?

The Church copy of Wonder #1, the Hitler cover you referred to, sold a year or two ago for around 8K, if I remember corrrectly.

Well, yes I could have posted it in the other Nedor thread. :banana:

I could have posted in a box.

I could have posted with a fox.

I could have posted in a house.

I could have posted with a mouse.

And could have posted here and there.

Say! I could post ANYWHERE!

I do so like to post

Nedor Spam!

Thank you!

Thank you,

nearmint-I-am

I also like Wonder 2, 6, 13, and 15 .... :blahblah: oh who am I kidding ... I like 'em all. :)

Is the Fox Wonder 12 times better?

Richard to your yes ... certainly the Wonder is far more historically significant in that it is the First FOX ... so that's a big plus ... but on straight cover image alone ... I like Flag Covers and Hitler Covers and War Covers and Schomburg covers ... more than Superman rip-off covers ... so I'd say NO.

I also asked a 12 year old which cover looked cooler in the Gerber and he picked the Better/Nedor over Fox .... so there we have it :)

Richard to your yes ... certainly the Wonder is far more historically significant in that it is the First FOX ... so that's a big plus ... but on straight cover image alone ... I like Flag Covers and Hitler Covers and War Covers and Schomburg covers ... more than Superman rip-off covers ... so I'd say NO.

I also asked a 12 year old which cover looked cooler in the Gerber and he picked the Better/Nedor over Fox .... so there we have it :)

That is all fine, but I doubt the 12 year old is going to pony up any dough for either.

And while cover image is certainly important, it is only one factor in determining a value.

Here's a little opinion...

The Nedor Wonder's cover is about twice as good as the Fox.

The Fox's interior is about a thousand times as good as the Nedor.

The Fox is also rarer, more historically significant, fatter, was produced with higher quality, older, contain a far better line-up of artists who were experimenting with the medium during their formative years, and is just plain cooler to hold in your hands.

That makes it 12 times better to me. :)

That is all fine, but I doubt the 12 year old is going to pony up any dough for either.

And while cover image is certainly important, it is only one factor in determining a value.

The Fox is also rarer, more historically significant, fatter, was produced with higher quality, older, contain a far better line-up of artists who were experimenting with the medium during their formative years, and is just plain cooler to hold in your hands.

(thumbs u

On the other hand, for better or worse, the market is very cover-driven right now. Supes #14 and #17 are in much higher demand, and valued much higher, than #16 or #19, but the contents are very similar. People just want those covers.

On the other hand, for better or worse, the market is very cover-driven right now. Supes #14 and #17 are in much higher demand, and valued much higher, than #16 or #19, but the contents are very similar. People just want those covers.
very true...but supes 14-19 are all DC, where as the other comparison is apples to oranges (diff publs)

very true...but supes 14-19 are all DC, where as the other comparison is apples to oranges (diff publs)

But that's exactly my point. Richard was arguing that the interior of the Fox Wonder #1 is 1000 times better than the interior of the Nedor Wonder #1. To me, that raises the question, how much of a book's value is determined by its interior in today's market? The best way to illustrate that is to examine a run, like Superman 14-19, where there's little variation in the content of the interior of each issue. Significant variations in value seem to be solely based on the quality of the cover.

We're seeing it again and again, where books like Detective 31, 35, and Suspense 3 have reached levels higher than some keys. I'm curious whether the scale will continue to tilt in the direction of cover content, or will a renewed appreciation of story and interior art return a balance to that scale.

But that's exactly my point. Richard was arguing that the interior of the Fox Wonder #1 is 1000 times better than the interior of the Nedor Wonder #1. To me, that raises the question, how much of a book's value is determined by its interior in today's market? The best way to illustrate that is to examine a run, like Superman 14-19, where there's little variation in the content of the interior of each issue. Significant variations in value seem to be solely based on the quality of the cover.

We're seeing it again and again, where books like Detective 31, 35, and Suspense 3 have reached levels higher than some keys. I'm curious whether the scale will continue to tilt in the direction of cover content, or will a renewed appreciation of story and interior art return a balance to that scale.

Let's face it, the advent of certification helped solidify the cover collector in our hobby for years to come.

I know, cause I am one. :shy:

Let's face it, the advent of certification helped solidify the cover collector in our hobby for years to come.

The answer to Jeff depends *mostly* on the age, or more appropriately, how seasoned the collector is.

I'd hate to think that the entire hobby is held together with just a bunch of buys collecting covers.

I am/was primarily a SA and BA collector. I grew up with the content. Therefore I grew up collecting SA and BA for the content. When I got into GA it's the covers that initially attracted me because that is what you see at first glance but because of my previous collecting habits I started to delve into the interiors.

I can honestly say that I appreciate the advertisements, letter pages and all the other stuff just as much as the covers. Without that, I don't know how much longer the hobby can last honestly....this is the reason that so many books have fallen off the face of the hobby. We are very quickly getting to the upper part of the pyramid where only the top covers are desireable any more by the majority.

This is why Fawcetts, Fox books, Centaurs, etc have all become nothing more than niche books. It's a shame really as they used to be considered very important to the hobby, used to command attention and will always have some of the most beautiful work in them.

R.

I agree with you 100% Jeff. I have always been of the opinion that every golden age book should be priced individually in the guide for just that reason. But books like Marvel 9 and All Star 3 have large prices due to content that goes beyond first appearances or origins and with covers no better than those around them in the run. And there are some books (the Dr. Occult More Funs for example) that have high prices despite inferior covers. So hopefully content will always have a place in pricing.

My Golden Age collection is made up of two focuses, Schomburg Nedor war covers, and Supes/Actions. The Nedors I buy for the covers, the Supes/Actions I buy for the whole book.

Lately, the Supes/Actions are more interesting to me, and most of my recent purchases have been within that focus.

The answer to Jeff depends *mostly* on the age, or more appropriately, how seasoned the collector is.

I'd hate to think that the entire hobby is held together with just a bunch of buys collecting covers.

I am/was primarily a SA and BA collector. I grew up with the content. Therefore I grew up collecting SA and BA for the content. When I got into GA it's the covers that initially attracted me because that is what you see at first glance but because of my previous collecting habits I started to delve into the interiors.

I can honestly say that I appreciate the advertisements, letter pages and all the other stuff just as much as the covers. Without that, I don't know how much longer the hobby can last honestly....this is the reason that so many books have fallen off the face of the hobby. We are very quickly getting to the upper part of the pyramid where only the top covers are desireable any more by the majority.

This is why Fawcetts, Fox books, Centaurs, etc have all become nothing more than niche books. It's a shame really as they used to be considered very important to the hobby, used to command attention and will always have some of the most beautiful work in them.

R.

Good points Roy. I personally think f the price of Goldenage books is a major factor for people collecting covers. How many people can afford to collect most runs in anything above G or VG, if even that.

Bruce

If covers become the main determining factor in price then we should all start investing in pulps. They have some of the greatest covers ever. And who cares what stories are inside!

The cover of Fox Wonder 2 has a giant gorilla.

Does the Nedor? Didn't think. Fox cover is better. :sumo:

They do have great covers, but nostalgia plays such a big part in the Golden Age collector's focus, and few of us have any nostalgic feelings about pulps, or the characters contained within. It's all about funny books!

Okay, I admit it. It's hard to beat a giant gorilla.

Okay, I admit it. It's hard to beat a giant gorilla.

Big hands would be needed for this, methinks.