• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whoa Nelly ... insane Wonder Nedor

68 posts in this topic

On the other hand, for better or worse, the market is very cover-driven right now. Supes #14 and #17 are in much higher demand, and valued much higher, than #16 or #19, but the contents are very similar. People just want those covers.

We're seeing it again and again, where books like Detective 31, 35, and Suspense 3 have reached levels higher than some keys. I'm curious whether the scale will continue to tilt in the direction of cover content, or will a renewed appreciation of story and interior art return a balance to that scale.

Let's face it, the advent of certification helped solidify the cover collector in our hobby for years to come.

I know, cause I am one. :shy:

Although I agree that CGC has definitely had an impact in terms of the cover craze, I feel the real driver that gave it the biggest push of all was the release of the Gerber Photojournals back in the early 90's.

Collectors were finally able to see all of the GA covers all in one spot and this facilitated on-demand shopping for the superior covers. Prior to that, all they had were the few and far between cover images that showed up once a year in the OS guide.

And as another member has already posted, the high prices for GA books almost made it a necessity to chase after specific books (e.g. classic covers) as opposed to completing a run.

As a result, from my POV, this demand for the better covers does not show any signs of losing steam any time soon.

Although I agree that CGC has definitely had an impact in terms of the cover craze, I feel the real driver that gave it the biggest push of all was the release of the Gerber Photojournals back in the early 90's.

Collectors were finally able to see all of the GA covers all in one spot and this facilitated on-demand shopping for the superior covers. Prior to that, all they had were the few and far between cover images that showed up once a year in the OS guide.

Absolutely. The shift at that point was palpable.

Those look a lot nicer than the grade!

Especially the 3.5...in my possession for only a short time more. :(

amazingman222-2.jpg

another case of "buy the book" not the label...and, it is the Cosmic Aeroplane copy too, if I recall (shrug)

I love that book and this is the second time I've ever seen it.

What is it worth in various grades? I'm going to get me one.

:sumo:

How could anyone not love that cover......yet when I've showed it to civilians, their eyes glaze over and the only thing they can say is:"is it worth anything?"

Have you showed it to any of the proper authorities, or military personnel?

How could anyone not love that cover......yet when I've showed it to civilians, their eyes glaze over and the only thing they can say is:"is it worth anything?"

That's a common question when someone shows the uninitiated a particular collectible (e.g. coins, beer mugs, old cars, etc). I've certainly asked that as I'm often testing as to whether I would want to start collecting the thing I'm being shown or something similar to it. For others, they ask because the dollar value is an indicator, to them, of importance.

Absolutely. The shift at that point was palpable.

true... I remember buying a vg- horrific 3 (the cool bullet hole in head cover prominently featured in gerber) for $25 and getting like $500 for it a few months later :o

I think its both, plus this forum...... plus the increasing prices making collectors not being able to buy runs and just focussing on special issues,....

I agree and it even goes down the line for the "cheaper books." Even late silver and some bronze has gotten too expensive for some people so they are forced to buy lower grade copies or just go for the keys. It drives me a little crazy when you'll have multiple people who want certain bronze #1s but won't look at an even nicer #2 for much less money.

Harley is speaking of this forum in particular when he mentions message boards in his brief market report in the new OPG.

Please anyone two quesitons...

1. What are the prices of Nedor's Wonder 1 in Overstreet 39?

2. Does there appear to be a consistant percentage increase on all Nedor books ... for example ... did the Black Terrors go up more or less or same than the Wonders ... than the Startllings ...

Thanks for any reply, comments, or insights.

2. Does there appear to be a consistant percentage increase on all Nedor books ... for example ... did the Black Terrors go up more or less or same than the Wonders ... than the Startllings ...

Wonder one is valued at 187/374/581/1178/1989/2800 this year and last year 179/358/537/1119/1860/2600. Small increase in the guide and probably a bigger increase at the market like many Nedors with Schomburg war covers.

Wonder one is valued at 187/374/581/1178/1989/2800 this year and last year 179/358/537/1119/1860/2600. Small increase in the guide and probably a bigger increase at the market like many Nedors with Schomburg war covers.

First ... thank you BB gun for the reply. That would be a 7.69% increase on the Wonder 1 (2008 $2600 / 2009 $2800) ... I don't have a guide, but did all of the Nedor titles go up about that same amount?

Did Overstreet move the price up on the Black Terror 1, the Exciting 9, the Exciting 39, the Startling 49 all about the same ... just curious if all the Nedors moved up about the same percentage.

Second ... You know ... for all the crazy money some books command. I mean Wonder 1 is a great cover ... what with the big flags and Hitler and Hirohito tied to a stake. A Golden Age #1 with bright reds and yellows ... a hero origin ... with a skull and crossbones costume.

I mean you'd think a Golden Age #1 Schomburg Cover would be really really expensive ... by that I mean 5 or 10 thousand bucks.

I even checked out what that that Bedrock guy said about it not being as rare as the Fox Wonder 1, but you know what. He's wrong ... I mean at least according to the CGC census the Nedor Wonder is the rarer number 1 ... so anyway

... if you have the Nedor Wonder Comics ... #1 in NM- 9.2 ... I'll buy it for 2600 ... Before somebody says this should go in the looking to buy section ... I don't know that I'm looking to buy it ... but if you want to sell your ... 9.2 ... send me a message ...

$2600 might get you an 8.0 copy, but won't get you near a 9.2.

I don't even think that would do it.

In the first CC Event auction last Spring, they had a raw 8.0 hammer out at $2900. What would a CGC 8.0 fetch? And dare I say Nedors are hotter now than last Spring? (shrug)