• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen trade "cover" on Ebay

6 posts in this topic

Hi all

This piece was listed on Ebay as the actual original cover art to the bloody smiley Watchmen trade paperback. I have heard of the piece before and had understood it to be a rough or mock up, especially given the size. A few people have recently asked me whether, as Dave's gimp, I could shed any light on the matter. The seller has continued to insist that it was the original cover with notes and doodles by Dave Gibbons.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200322549693

An eagle eyed board member (ie with too much time on his hands :devil: ) pointed out that there were small but definite inconsistencies between what was being offered and the final printed version. Most notably the reflections on the blood. Sellers response was that these were down to changes by the printer.

I spoke to Dave who confirmed that the actual final cover was a composite, created with a drop of blood painted by John Higgins. In his words. he was quite suspicious of what was being offered for sale.

John Higgins subsequently confirmed that the item in question was NOT his work. He'd heard of it being in circulation and understood it to be DC production studio rough.

Dave couldn't comment on the notes without actually seeing them.

Some of these comments were passed onto the seller who appears to have now shut down the auction. That was not my intention, just clarification, although I understand that off ebay deals were being solicited so I felt this ought to be made public.

Caveat emptor.

Feel free to PM me if you need to discuss this privately.

An eagle eyed board member (ie with too much time on his hands :devil: ) pointed out that there were small but definite inconsistencies between what was being offered and the final printed version. Most notably the reflections on the blood. Sellers response was that these were down to changes by the printer.

:hi:

I wouldn't say I was so eagle eyed. There's a pink mucus-like membrane surrounding the blood splatter, and yeah, the light flares on the blood are off.

Thanks to Joseph for being Dave's gimp and getting some much needed info for all us interested parties!

Good post, I was curious on this one myself.

Wonder if this TPB cover originally done by Dave anyway, i.e. did DC just put it together separate to the main art team and use it?

Obviously the lettering was off and it just didn't have the "right" look for the final.