• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The official overstreet comic book companion

17 posts in this topic

Browsing on the Amazon website, I came across "The official overstreet comic book companion", which is due January, 2004.

Do anyone here know anything about it ?

Does it have any interest for seasoned collectors, or is it aimed at newbies ?

Thanks for any help wink.gif

It's largely aimed at the new collector. It's a return to the digest-sized abbreviated version of the guide that Overstreet used to put out for bookstores that was aimed at younger or completely new collectors. It includes Silver Age to Modern pricing, some basic information on how to collect comics, and it also throws in a nice but abbreviated section on toy rings as well. It has a really nice cover too smile.gif.

Arnold

You're always such a cheery fellow. You do understand that no one is forcing anyone to part with their cash? OK, good, I was worried there for a second.

And for other posters, I should clarify that the rings section is updated to current values. And you also get a snazzy new article by me about the Justice League. So everybody wins, right? smile.gif

You're always such a cheery fellow.

Do you think they're doing it for any other reason than to make money? The last time I checked, Gemstone Publishing wasn't listed as a non-profit organization.

You do understand that no one is forcing anyone to part with their cash?

Just in case, I looked out my window and it appears I still live in The United States so I feel comfortable in saying that your assertion is probably correct.

"Do you think they're doing it for any other reason than to make money?"

By "they" you're also including me, you understand. smile.gif

Of *course* we're doing it to make money. We publish all our books in the foolish hope that maybe somebody will actually pay the cover price for them and then enjoy them. But why is a publishing company producing books for profit something to which you attach such cynical derision? As I said, no one *has* to buy them. But if you do, we certainly hope we've produced something that's informative, entertaining, and worth the price. I can promise you that we don't just throw something together and say "Well, that's another 20 or 30 bucks we tricked them out of!" and then twirl our dastardly moustaches in fiendish glee.

Honestly.

Arnold

Prosecution? I swear...

And what have you accomplished? You've uncovered the sordid truth that a publishing company that publishes books to be sold for a profit does in fact actually publish books to be sold for a profit? That - horrors - we're a business and not just an altruistic organization dedicated to nothing more than the betterment of your life?

I think this thread has run its course. Surely there are more important things to complain about elsewhere. smile.gif

Arnold

Prosecution? I swear...

And what have you accomplished? You've uncovered the sordid truth that a publishing company that publishes books to be sold for a profit does in fact actually publish books to be sold for a profit? That - horrors - we're a business and not just an altruistic organization dedicated to nothing more than the betterment of your life?

I think this thread has run its course. Surely there are more important things to complain about elsewhere. smile.gif

Arnold

my my my

I seem to have hit a nerve.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Well, I for one appreciate Arnold coming on these boards and providing more details on Gemstone's publications and publishing plans. I won't buy that particular book, but I'd rather hear from the publisher what it's about than have to scrounge up info on my own...

And one other thing... many of us on these boards are wondering where the next generation of back issue collectors will come from... they may in part come from books like the one being discussed here. I know I didn't get full-bore into collecting until I'd seen my first OS Guide.

OK I officially give up on this one. Some folks come to message boards with one point in mind - be contentious in the face of logic and even after someone answers a question with a point-blank answer. I have other things to do - like help generate more books that you won't buy. smile.gif

It's allright Arnold, we all know you work at Gemstone not to put food in your belly and a roof over your head, but to carry out your plan of world domination through comic-book related media, just admit it!! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

OK I officially give up on this one. Some folks come to message boards with one point in mind - be contentious in the face of logic and even after someone answers a question with a point-blank answer. I have other things to do - like help generate more books that you won't buy. smile.gif

We appreciate you Arnold. flowerred.gif

or is it aimed at newbies ?

It's aimed at milking some more money from the hobby.

For clarification and edification, I said that with good humor and no malice intended. However, it's interesting how much it hit a nerve.

I'm reminded of the scene in "Mommie Dearest" where Christina confronts Joan Crawford about why she was adopted and Christina posits that Joan did it for some extra publicity. Joan huffs and puffs and Christina's replies; "Maybe (it's) just a little true?" And then Joan replies "I don't ask much from you GIRL. Why can't you give me the reSPECT that I'm entitled too?!?"

I don't need to go on - everyone knows the rest of the scene.