• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any guesses as to the CGC Census's % of what exists in GA?

58 posts in this topic

So, this begs the question - where are they now?

At some point in the late 70s/early 80s, key issues became sufficiently expensive that they turned into "investments." Prices rose steadily and dramatically. Consequently, it's not surprising to me at all that the turnover on those books declined, especially if the owners began to perceive them as a retirement asset. I certainly know this to be the case with a guy who quietly owns most of Overstreet's Top 10 books. Thus, the answer to the question is probably: In safety deposit boxes.

I'll bet you could walk into any major con in the early 1970's and find more than 10 Action #1 or Detective #27 books. I'd put money on it. It's probably be like finding an FF #1 or an ASM #1 on a con today. Any major con you go to will have a variety of them...and like I said in an earlier thread...Marvel Comics #1 was the tough book to find...and now they seem to be more readily available. It all goes in cycles. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see Action #1's going around again.

R.

that roy, is unfortunately a bet you would lose... just ask pons or bedrock or bangzoom or bob beerbhohm or redbeard or richard olson, or dave anderson, or geppi, or jim payette, or fishler, jay marbuck etc, etc all the guys that did attend every major show in the 70's and 80's (I know, because the topic has been discussed in depth)....they will all tell you the same thing...action 1's back then were pretty much just as scarce as they are now...

This brings up an interested question, where are all the older MILF's in this hobby? We just got a bunch of old fogeys to ask these kinda questions.

stealing all my geritol (shrug)

fixed for accuracy

At some point in the late 70s/early 80s, key issues became sufficiently expensive that they turned into "investments." Prices rose steadily and dramatically. Consequently, it's not surprising to me at all that the turnover on those books declined, especially if the owners began to perceive them as a retirement asset. I certainly know this to be the case with a guy who quietly owns most of Overstreet's Top 10 books. Thus, the answer to the question is probably: In safety deposit boxes.

I'll bet you could walk into any major con in the early 1970's and find more than 10 Action #1 or Detective #27 books. I'd put money on it. It's probably be like finding an FF #1 or an ASM #1 on a con today. Any major con you go to will have a variety of them...and like I said in an earlier thread...Marvel Comics #1 was the tough book to find...and now they seem to be more readily available. It all goes in cycles. I'd say it's only a matter of time before we see Action #1's going around again.

R.

that roy, is unfortunately a bet you would lose... just ask pons or bedrock or bangzoom or bob beerbhohm or redbeard or richard olson, or dave anderson, or geppi, or jim payette, or fishler, jay marbuck etc, etc all the guys that did attend every major show in the 70's and 80's (I know, because the topic has been discussed in depth)....they will all tell you the same thing...action 1's back then were pretty much just as scarce as they are now...

...but I did ask and nobody answered in my other thread. The only answer I got was from my buddy who did the con circuit back in the late 70's and early 80's and he said that he saw them there. Didn't specify numbers but they were there.

As always I am happy to be proven wrong. Just the facts ma'am!

R.

R.

This brings up an interested question, where are all the older MILF's in this hobby? We just got a bunch of old fogeys to ask these kinda questions.

stealing all my geritol (shrug)

fixed for accuracy

:acclaim:

R.

...but I did ask and nobody answered in my other thread. The only answer I got was from my buddy who did the con circuit back in the late 70's and early 80's and he said that he saw them there. Didn't specify numbers but they were there.

R.

well, I did read where ponseti answered in this thread, I think... problem is that many of them haven't posted in a while, or don't venture into other threads...but, I have spoken to just about all of them over the years about this very subject (richard olson as recently as this past Saturday), and I believe they will all confirm that action 1's have always been scarce/rare (tec 27's not quite as rare, but NEVER 10 at any con that any could remember)...

and, I believe brian/thegoldenage also confirmed he had never seen more than 3 or 4 at any con, and he knows his stuff too (thumbs u

so, if anyone thinks 80% of any 1 issue has been slabbed, then I am happy to edumacate dem :insane:

The only singe issue that I can think of that would even approach this number is Blood is the Harvest. I'd think at least half of those have been slabbed.

R.

R.

well, I did read where ponseti answered in this thread, I think... problem is that many of them haven't posted in a while, or don't venture into other threads...but, I have spoken to just about all of them over the years about this very subject (richard olson as recently as this past Saturday), and I believe they will all confirm that action 1's have always been scarce/rare (tec 27's not quite as rare, but NEVER 10 at any con that any could remember)...

and, I believe brian/thegoldenage also confirmed he had never seen more than 3 or 4 at any con, and he knows his stuff too (thumbs u

Then it will be noted that on this day a rare occurrence has come to pass. I was wrong.

Maybe they had more in Canada?

hm

so, if anyone thinks 80% of any 1 issue has been slabbed, then I am happy to edumacate dem :insane:

The only singe issue that I can think of that would even approach this number is Blood is the Harvest. I'd think at least half of those have been slabbed.

(thumbs u but I think most will agree, that is the exception, not the rule...I should clarify that my "intention" to my post was a book that experienced "normal" distribution lol

(thumbs u but I think most will agree, that is the exception, not the rule...I should clarify that my "intention" to my post was a book that experienced "normal" distribution lol

Definitely NOT the rule!

Then it will be noted that on this day a rare occurrence has come to pass. I was wrong.

Maybe they had more in Canada?

hm

of course roy, you know with me, it is not about right or wrong, who cares, right?...it is about trying to get as accurate as possible info out there...we all want our hobby, that we love, to remain vibrant and strong...but we want it to remain with as much integrity as possible...

another thing to consider is that cons of the 70's and even into the 80's were smaller and more regional...so, when the biggest and best of the time (SDCC, etc) don't put up those kinds of numbers, it is probably safe to say that little cons in the 70's, didn't either... just, there is always an exception to the rule (thumbs u

AGAIN?!? How many times does this make now???

:baiting:

They're hanging around the safety deposit boxes...waiting for the day the old fogeys die.

They're hanging around the safety deposit boxes...waiting for the day the old fogeys die.

If they pay me in an Action #2 I'll help speed along the process :devil:

The below is a Gerber no-show and only rated a SI of 7. In the past 3 years I have never seen one for sale, this is the only graded copy on the census. I bet no boardie has a copy and not one major dealer has one for sale on their site. 7 is wrong.

CaptainFlightComics3CGC70.jpg

On a book like that, there's no good way to get an estimate of scarcity. I don't know what guide is on that, but I'm guessing in 9.0 it's probably $2-300. Why would you sell that? If you had a GD or a VG, there is virtually no incentive to sell. Would you rather get the $20 or 30 it might bring? Most people are going to hang onto them rather than sell. That makes it impossibly hard to get a handle on scarcity, and very hard to track a copy down.

And Roy, what color is the sky in your world?

You know, we live in a specific part of society...ALL of us use computers. I was just talking to a friend from Troy NY, she's the town historian...she said she wondered if I was still into comics, because an elderly neighbor ( in his 90's) had passed away and the family tossed all the magazines and comics from the attic ...

and yes, I asked if they took the trash yet;)

But...the original question was how accurate is Gerber's scarcity index...and since it was done before Ebay made many people interested in going through their attics...the answer is who knows? Probably not very...he asked a very small group...statistically.

I have quite a few GA books, I've had 3 slabbed...2 because I wanted to sell them after having them restored.

The only other slabs I have, I've bought that way...and I can't figure out how to open them, without breaking a nail...

I attended the NYC Cons from 1970-74 and saw MANY copies of Superman #1. They were going for around $100. by the way. I do remember seeing two copies of Action #1 at the 1973 Comic Art Con.

I also remember a STACK of the first Mad Magazine in 9.0+ for $5.00 apiece. I also had my copy of Mad #1 stolen at the same con...

1970's, 1980's...it was like ASM #1 is today.

Sorry I gotta disagree with you on this one. I've attended shows since the early 70's, all over the country, and I have never seen that kind of quantity. Ever. Anywhere. The only ad I remember seeing multiple copies in was that Fantasia ad from a number of years ago. And considering the source, who's to say those were all real?

I have been going to shows since 1972 and the rare Golden Age keys were always scarce. As for dozens of Action 1's and Detective 27's on the wall, sorry but I never saw that.

I have seen multiple (not dozens) Superman 1's and Batman 1's and even Captain America 1's but that was in San Diego in the early 90's. No longer though.

From Bob Beerbohm's posts a couple of years ago, it sounds like collectors would have been better off going to that big store in LA during the 60s and 70s to get their fix of GA and SA keys instead of the cons. :baiting: