• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best software for organizing/cataloging my comic collection?

57 posts in this topic

Dough boy –

A friendly suggestion: quit before you dig your hole even deeper. It was a single line in a single post by a single person, and most boardies wouldn't have even noticed it or given it any serious thought. Your defensive, demanding response just makes you look bad and damages your site's brand.

Your attitude certainly doesn't make me want to try your site, and I imagine others will feel the same way.

What you should have done: have confidence in your self and in your work, take the high road, and let the criticism slide.

:foryou:

EDIT: I see you deleted your last post. Good start.

I'm sorry, but I don't frequent your site - I frequent this site.

You think your site is the bees knees - fair enough, that's your opinion. I'm sure the makers of Comicbase feel the same way about their software. But I feel differently, and I assume that this is exactly why the OP created this thread - to hear from people who've used different kinds of comic book collecting software/platforms.

So, no, I'm going to continue to express my opinion here in any way I see fit.

You're welcome.

Yes, OP wanted to hear from people who've USED software. You have not USED my site (whether it is the best site on earth or not is irrelevant). You encountered 1 error message (and that happened to anyone that just visited the site). You give me 5 minutes with just about any comic site I can show you how it has errors too.

Also, you responded to 1 site that was mentioned. Why didn't you talk about your experiences with other sites? With using Excel? Why did you feel the need to dig on one site even though you have not spent any meaningful amount of time on it?

That is the ultimate problem here...not whether 1 site is the best or not. To promote meaningful conversation you should actually participate. You never offered a solution, just bashed one of the dozen sites (and bashed the only 100% free site). Since you obviously have used numerous software programs, then why not provide OP with some actual meaningful data on each one? I.e. list out each one and the pros and cons?

I know I am personally invested in my site (which I don't make a dime off of - hence the 100% free part) and I shouldn't really care about what one person that didn't give it the time of day says.

Like I mentioned earlier, I tried using your site a while back & I didn't like it - just like I tried out comicspriceguide.com and Comicbase before finally settling on the software I use now.

You want the laundry list again?

a) slow

b) buggy

c) ugly & non-intuitive user interface

d) too much inaccurate or missing comic book data

e) not enough flexibility when it comes to data fields for individual books

f) no easy way to import the 8000+ comic books I already have logged in a different piece of software

g) I dislike having to be online to view my collection

I don't like Comicbase because of the yearly subscription model (which I mentioned earlier) - and I wasn't too keen on the user interface either.

In short, I find your site (and Comicbase, for that matter) to be a worse alternative than the software I already use, which I assumed would be interesting to the OP who's asking for peoples' PERSONAL OPINIONS.

And ... please ... don't give me the "To promote meaningful conversation you should actually participate"-. In what way have you ever done anything to participate around here? You just registered in order to defend your website :screwy:

I also use Excel. It works fine for me.

Mike

same here!

And I can build it exactly like I want it

Yep.

My latest project with excel is a database of Moon Knight. It still in the works but this is a sample from a bit back. Still working on some things with it and in later versions the numbers can be clicked and it will load a picture of the actual book. Still adding pictures though. Since it was in excel also could convert to webpage :)

Needs IE to work. Tabs for pages at bottom.

Moon Knight project

Nice job there Whisp!

I also use Excel. It works fine for me.

Mike

same here!

And I can build it exactly like I want it

Yep.

My latest project with excel is a database of Moon Knight. It still in the works but this is a sample from a bit back. Still working on some things with it and in later versions the numbers can be clicked and it will load a picture of the actual book. Still adding pictures though. Since it was in excel also could convert to webpage :)

Needs IE to work. Tabs for pages at bottom.

Moon Knight project

Nice job there Whisp!

Thanks

Have all the pictures added for Moon Knight regular series and started adding the pics for the MK appearances. Also going to work on tab for odd items like glasses, toys and such. This project won't be complete until I have every single known to me MK appearance :)

Actually what is weird is I deleted the post before anyone else replied to it (I just figured it wasn't worth my time/effort).

And once it was deleted I went back and there was no new posts. So I am not sure how I can delete a post yet people can still see it (and quote from it).

Ohs well...live and learn. (shrug)

Actually what is weird is I deleted the post before anyone else replied to it (I just figured it wasn't worth my time/effort).

And once it was deleted I went back and there was no new posts. So I am not sure how I can delete a post yet people can still see it (and quote from it).

They are probably subscribed to the thread and an email of your post was sent to them!

They are probably subscribed to the thread and an email of your post was sent to them!

:gossip: I started writing a reply before the post was deleted.

I think the "slow and buggy" part would vary from person to person. i have no problems :cloud9:

a) slow

b) buggy

c) ugly & non-intuitive user interface personal opinions? (shrug)

d) too much inaccurate or missing comic book data true, but thats why its free and us members help out :)

e) not enough flexibility when it comes to data fields for individual books meh.lol

f) no easy way to import the 8000+ comic books I already have logged in a different piece of software not relevant to my and my 600 books :luhv:

g) I dislike having to be online to view my collection my comp is online 24-7 :D

so if u dont like it, dont use it, but dont bash it and prevent someone else to experience with it :foryou:

but thats just me

I think the "slow and buggy" part would vary from person to person. i have no problems :cloud9:

a) slow

b) buggy

c) ugly & non-intuitive user interface personal opinions? (shrug)

d) too much inaccurate or missing comic book data true, but thats why its free and us members help out :)

e) not enough flexibility when it comes to data fields for individual books meh.lol

f) no easy way to import the 8000+ comic books I already have logged in a different piece of software not relevant to my and my 600 books :luhv:

g) I dislike having to be online to view my collection my comp is online 24-7 :D

so if u dont like it, dont use it, but dont bash it and prevent someone else to experience with it :foryou:

but thats just me

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here, and not assume that you're implying that just because I have a critical opinion about a comic book collecting tool, I should refrain from posting said opinion in a thread that specifically asked about opinions on comic book collecting tools ... because this opinion might "prevent someone else to experience with it".

Because, really, that is just stupid beyond belief.

:foryou:

I'm going to give Collectorz a try. I like the flexibility that it has and the fact that you don't have to buy it every year. The prices don't automatically update, but that's not a big deal since ComicBase is seldom right anyway.

I really enjoyed Collectorz when I had a PC (I still use the Mac version for their Book service). The only thing I didn't like about Collectorz Comics was their database. If I remember right, anyone could update the database and their was no consistency. If you plug in information for Book A, the information for Book B may look completely different style wise (one may never use capital letter, one may have typos, one may put last name first while the other puts first name first, etc).

I ended up just inputting everything myself. But that was awhile ago. Maybe they've cleaned it up since then?

If I had bootcamp, I'd still be using Collectorz.

Well, I can't resist bringing up comic-share.com. I originally built this site as a place for collectors to show off their best books, get grade opinions, comment on each other's books, and advertise them for sale. However, it can also be used to catalog an entire collection I recently added some "GPA like" features to the site, and base the price guide information off of that data. The price guide is far from perfect, but it usually gives a general idea to go on. The sales data that you can access should be accurate although I haven't updated it in a while. I've been trying to lure people here to use it and give me feedback, but haven't really gotten much of a response. I know the site has some minor bugs, and the comic database is not complete, but It works fine for my purposes and it's free for anyone that wants to try it. Anyway, it's there to check out if you like. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the site.

If you check out the site and hate it, please let me know via PM why. I'm not going to get personally offfended and will take any suggestions seriously.

As a side note, I'm really intrested in working with someone to try and import their collection into the site. An XML or Excel file should be relatively easy to work with. If you're intrested in giving this a go, let me know. I wouldn't expect anyone to switch over to this site from something else without being able to import their existing data.

This reminds me of the post where I said I would not frequent a certain comic shop and the owner posted here all huffy. Said I should have discussed it with him.

Do you think Amazon sends terse defensive messages to all on Epinions who give them low scores? Somehow I doubt it.

If you deal with the public feedback in an open, professional manner, you will probably only help your business!

How does that saying go? If a customer is happy, they tell no one, but if they are unhappy they tell everyone.

Assume positive intent. I don't think people give negative feedback with the intention of being mean.

For those that use Comic Collectorz, is there a field to enter a grade for each book? What about for CGC books? Or is there other software that's better at handling CGC books?

Yep - and you can customize default values for that field as well (initially, it's just M, NM, VF, F, VG, G, etc). I have mine set up to to mimic CGC, so my values look like this: "VF 8.0", "VF+ 8.5", "CGC 9.8", "CGC 9.8 SS", "CGC 9.4 (Q)", etc