• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could change one thing about CGC what would it be?

176 posts in this topic

Decline to re-grade books they absolutely know were previously graded unless restoration or removal of restoration occurred.

I don't think a business will ever turn down money for services rendered, but it's a good thought...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

"Query the CGC database with the certification number only. Like in the old days. It's not of much use to me since you have to know the majority of the information on the label in order to get the other (useless) information."

I'm even ok with increasing fees if it means that TAT will be better.

Graders' notes on line for all to view.

(worship)

Let me repeat it for posterity.

Graders' notes on line for all to view.

I agree with having the Graders Notes online but for PAID members only. Just like paid members can track their submission online, etc. I would predict that the amount of paid members would more than double :)

I think a Manhattan and a Los Angeles location would be a good start and then if it turns out successful, add more from there.

And then Dallas!

And the UK hm

I'm willing to wait for a Dallas one for you guys over seas to get one first.

As much as I honestly like the idea of this, I think it is something that would just hurt CGC in the end. The more locations they had grading books, the less parity that would exist among the same grades. In other words, a LA 9.8 would most likely be different from a Sarasota 9.8 would most likely be different from a UK 9.8. And that is something that would work to the detriment, not benefit, of CGC.

Decline to re-grade books they absolutely know were previously graded unless restoration or removal of restoration occurred.

I don't think a business will ever turn down money for services rendered, but it's a good thought...

I hear ya. :gossip:

It was always a little said policy of CGC from the outset that they wanted to encourage resubs in order to generate more profit. Totally understandable from a business standpoint. Totally harmful, IMHO, from a hobbyist standpoint.

Of course, this thread was about the one thing "I" could change! ;)

And I agree wholeheartedly with those who suggested place the notes online. I find it absurd that CGC may consider this information a "trade" secret and not openly share the info, especially since one can call in for the notes. This is similar to when federal judges would allow people to obtain individual copies of their financial reports but if someone asked for copies of all of them, they were declined. We sued. We won. Unfortunately, no constitutional right exists with CGC!

Frankly, I consider it absurd that CGC believes its' grading standards are a "trade" secret and I question whether there is anything unique about them in the first place. How is CGC to be considered a leader in this hobby when it implements secret standards? Give me a break. meh

I hear ya. :gossip:

It was always a little said policy of CGC from the outset that they wanted to encourage resubs in order to generate more profit. Totally understandable from a business standpoint. Totally harmful, IMHO, from a hobbyist standpoint.

Of course, this thread was about the one thing "I" could change! ;)

And I agree wholeheartedly with those who suggested place the notes online. I find it absurd that CGC may consider this information a "trade" secret and not openly share the info, especially since one can call in for the notes. This is similar to when federal judges would allow people to obtain individual copies of their financial reports but if someone asked for copies of all of them, they were declined. We sued. We won. Unfortunately, no constitutional right exists with CGC!

Frankly, I consider it absurd that CGC believes its' grading standards are a "trade" secret and I question whether there is anything unique about them in the first place. How is CGC to be considered a leader in this hobby when it implements secret standards? Give me a break. meh

The notes will never go online as apparently I've been told there are various obstacles and CGC has little desire to do this at the moment.

The resub possibly is one aspect and helps their bottom line -- I don't know if it necessarily is a negative but I agree that it certainly has been exploited as such. But keep in mind that the money aspect has also helped interest in our hobby and introduced into it many collectors who had previously left or would not otherwise participate. They have to be a viable money making business and in order to have them exist, this is portion you have to accept.

Finally, I certainly understand their position that the grading secrets are proprietary -- but I now think that publishing them would probably be more helpful and transparent. First of all, the interpretation of those standards and their ability/willingness to go through and grade all those books is more than enough to protect their business. Also, it'd be really difficult and only marginally profitable for somebody else to start an independent grading company. Second, by publishing the grading standards people can reasonably start to understand the entire process better -- and it helps them take into account even when buying slabbed books what does/does not make a book a certain grade.

On the other hand, it opens up CGC to a lot of criticism. When there's deviation from the standards they published and people will be more likely to call in debate the grades etc., and I think they'd rather cut down on that amount of traffic.

At the end of the day -- CGC's bottom line seems to only be improving. And submissions seem to be steady and if anything increasing.

I think a Manhattan and a Los Angeles location would be a good start and then if it turns out successful, add more from there.

And then Dallas!

And the UK hm

As much as I honestly like the idea of this, I think it is something that would just hurt CGC in the end. The more locations they had grading books, the less parity that would exist among the same grades. In other words, a LA 9.8 would most likely be different from a Sarasota 9.8 would most likely be different from a UK 9.8. And that is something that would work to the detriment, not benefit, of CGC.

Wouldn't the grading standards be universal no matter the location?

If you are saying different people would argue over what was a 9.2, for example, then you would get that in the same building.

Or even on the same message board.

I don't know how profitable CGC is as a business, and in the current economic climate any kind of expansion would be risky, but having more than one branch would surely be a good thing in the long run both for themselves, as it would generate more submissions, and us as collectors.

And then Dallas!

And the UK hm

Wouldn't the grading standards be universal no matter the location?

If you are saying different people would argue over what was a 9.2, for example, then you would get that in the same building.

Or even on the same message board.

I don't know how profitable CGC is as a business, and in the current economic climate any kind of expansion would be risky, but having more than one branch would surely be a good thing in the long run both for themselves, as it would generate more submissions, and us as collectors.

My point was more towards what you are saying about arguing over what constitutes a 9.2. IIRC, CGC only has a few graders (for each category). The greater the number of graders the greater potential variance in opinion of a grade... as can be evidenced here on the boards quite often.

By being centralized, the graders can at least get together to discuss what qualifies a book as a certain grade and have the ability to enforce those decisions. The more you decentralize this process, the harder it is to state "here are the qualities of a grade X" and to enforce them.

Look at how often books are being resubbed and getting higher grades now as it is. This proves the difficulty of nailing down a "grade". If you were to have multiple locations potentially worldwide, you just exacerbate that problem by bringing in more opinions.

And please don't think I'm knocking the idea of multiple facilities. I am actually very much in favor of it. Just kind of playing devil's advocate, because I'm sure if they did open up multiple facilities, we would hear quite a bit about, "well, LA grades a whole lot easier", etc. 2c

I'm really just glad I was actually able to add to the conversation in a meaningful way. :)

And just for my own gratification, I want to repeat my idea of being able to upload an excel file into the online submission form. Big time saver. Super easy to do. Would imagine big increase in customer satisfaction.

I'm just jealous because here in the UK the access that we have to comics in general and CGC in particular are very limited, or expensive, compared to the US.

I keep telling the wife to move but she won't have it :insane:

We seem to be forgetting that they'll be needing to add new graders. I'll work for free if they let me grade my own books. :grin:

Sorry...didn't see the last few post's when I wrote that.

I'm just jealous because here in the UK the access that we have to comics in general and CGC in particular are very limited, or expensive, compared to the US.

You might not have as cheap of access to comics, but at least it doesn't cost you near as much to travel Europe. (thumbs u

:signofftopic:I keep hearing how Diamond UK is really screwing you folks over across the pond. That really stinks.

I'm curious as to what obstacles there are in getting grading notes online. I'm translating that into "it would expose data inconsistencies" which correlates into the policy communicated recently about when and how grading notes are applied to submissions.

I'm also with you on the sub form. It's not friendly. I've often wondered why they reserved three digits for the book number on the invoice when you can only go to 30 books per invoice.

You might not have as cheap of access to comics, but at least it doesn't cost you near as much to travel Europe. (thumbs u

:signofftopic:I keep hearing how Diamond UK is really screwing you folks over across the pond. That really stinks.

Diamond and the low pound against the dollar are doing me no favours at all.

Still keep buying though (thumbs u

Just to throw out something different no one has mentioned yet, I would like to see them improve the inner well design to eliminate SCS damage. I actually have an

idea: put the raw book into a mylite with a piece of thick,clear plastic serving as a backing board. Put the bag and board into the inner well.

I don't think multiple sites is a good idea, however, CGC presence at more conventions would help.

Diamond and the low pound against the dollar are doing me no favours at all.

Still keep buying though (thumbs u

The extortionate return shipping doesn't help either.