• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Emerald City ComiCon this weekend

14 posts in this topic

I will try to buy drawings or sketches from Tony deZuniga, Ernie Chan (Hulk), latest Frank Cho squarebound illo book. :blush: Line up for Tim Sale too long. A gamble just to get on Adam Hughes's sketch list. Already have a sketch from the great Stan Sakai (Usagi). :applause:

I will try to buy drawings or sketches from Tony deZuniga, Ernie Chan (Hulk), latest Frank Cho squarebound illo book. :blush: Line up for Tim Sale too long. A gamble just to get on Adam Hughes's sketch list. Already have a sketch from the great Stan Sakai (Usagi). :applause:

But the real question is: will you be stopping by the Hero Initiative booth while I'm there? ;)

Hope to see you at the show. :)

So... is that it? No one else here is going to the show? Alrighty, then. Don't bother me too much, as it means my chances of getting sketches from some of the bigger name talent is that much better. So, to all of you staying home: Thanks! :):D;)

I'm sure they will stay away from your booth in droves with that attitude.

You should have most of the con to buy sketches that you will wind up reselling.

MI

What the hell is your damage, Mitch? Are you upset I'm not totally out of this stuff? What?

It's pretty obvious, from the smilies showing, that I'm joking around. Furthermore, if you recall, I was one of the biggest voices sounding off AGAINST sketch flipping. So, why on Earth would you even say I would?

Personally, the only one showing an attitude here is you. Of course, given some of what I've heard said about you by others, that shouldn't be a surprise. Seems you have quite a rep for burning bridges. Either way, enjoy your time on ignore. (tsk)

You should have most of the con to buy sketches that you will wind up reselling.

MI

What the hell is your damage, Mitch? Are you upset I'm not totally out of this stuff? What?

It's pretty obvious, from the smilies showing, that I'm joking around. Furthermore, if you recall, I was one of the biggest voices sounding off AGAINST sketch flipping. So, why on Earth would you even say I would?

Personally, the only one showing an attitude here is you. Of course, given some of what I've heard said about you by others, that shouldn't be a surprise. Seems you have quite a rep for burning bridges. Either way, enjoy your time on ignore. (tsk)

I'm on ignore too so it doesn't matter what I type.

I won't speak for Mitch, but I don't think anyone would be upset or threatened that you are back in the game with the 2 artists you are repping.

And I won't say anymore on your motivations for wanting expensive sketches cheap.

Malvin

And I won't say anymore on your motivations for wanting expensive sketches cheap.

Malvin

But I want expensive sketches cheap too! :acclaim:

Do you contact people you don't know via CAF and ask them to comment on your art too? doh!:screwy:

Malvin

MI

I'm on ignore too so it doesn't matter what I type.

I won't speak for Mitch, but I don't think anyone would be upset or threatened that you are back in the game with the 2 artists you are repping.

Malvin

Let us know how the sketch rates are at Emerald, Malvin. Rates were the same at NYCC and WonderCon as in 2008, but the demand didn't seem quite as fervent (depending on the artist, of course).

Also, I always thought the argument that artists charge for sketches solely to guard against flipping to be silly. That they'd happily do free sketches were it not for flipping. I don't do my job for free and wouldn't ask that of an artist, either.

Malvin

But I want expensive sketches cheap too! :acclaim:

Do you contact people you don't know via CAF and ask them to comment on your art too? doh!:screwy:

Malvin

lol!

I enjoy comments on my art as much as the next guy, but it was kinda surprising to have someone (whom I never communicate with otherwise) write me out of the blue to lobby for them. Sort of a "no good deed goes unpunished" situation...leave one comment voluntarily, and then before you know it, get hit up for comments every time something new gets posted... doh!

I enjoy comments on my art as much as the next guy, but it was kinda surprising to have someone (whom I never communicate with otherwise) write me out of the blue to lobby for them. Sort of a "no good deed goes unpunished" situation...leave one comment voluntarily, and then before you know it, get hit up for comments every time something new gets posted... doh!

Well, Felix, if it is such a burden for you, all you need to do was ask me to not let you know. I've had a couple folks do just that and it's no big deal. When I get something new as cool, I like to share my joy of it with others. I had no idea that was such an inconvenience for you. Needless to say, having read your words here, you needn't worry about it any longer. :whatev:

Also, I always thought the argument that artists charge for sketches solely to guard against flipping to be silly. That they'd happily do free sketches were it not for flipping. I don't do my job for free and wouldn't ask that of an artist, either.

Well, as I said at the time, I've talked with a number of artists and many of them said this is why they charge and that if they knew their sketches wouldn't be flipped, they wouldn't. Were they lying to me? Don't know. But I have no reason to assume they were.

Maybe they don't see showing some appreciation to the fans as "work", like you seem to. But what I learned throughout that whole thing was that, much like a belief in God or magic, if one doesn't see a sketch as something more than just another piece of art, there's pretty much nothing that can be said to change that for them (I know, because I've tried). You either feel the spirit or you don't. I know I do. Maybe that's why the artists who said they wouldn't charge, if their sketches weren't flipped, feel that way. I'm very sorry (for you) that you don't, Felix. Your loss, to be sure. (shrug)