• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know how much you spend on comics?

53 posts in this topic

My wife and I were just talking about this subject and how we really could never tell any of our family how much money we spend on our respective hobbies.

The one time I did tell my Mother-in-law that I spent $5 on an old war comic that was laying out (usually we hide everything when relatives visit), she just about had a heart attack. If anyone actually saw how much stuff we had, they would probably have the two of us committed.

So, do any of your family members know about your collection and especially how much money you spend on the hobby?

My dad has a rough idea of how much the stuff I have is worth although he has no idea how much I spend on them.

My wife sat down a few months ago and went through old bank statements and told me I was spending over $1,000 a month on comics - I got the feeling she wasn't too happy about it. So yeah she has an idea (an informed idea) of how much I spend.

Nobody else knows as I know I would get a lot of grief for spending thousands of £££s on funny books. Not that I can't take it, but I just don't see why anybody has the right to person_without_enough_empathy at me for spending my money how I want. A guy at work keeps laughing at me buying comics for big money, yet he plays golf all the time and probably spends $1,000 a month on that with nothing to show for it at the end. At least comic books are liquidisable assets.

My wife knows what I buy. But thats about it. But I never make any purchase over $300.00 without discussing it with her first.

Ditto for me. Except my purchase without discussion is more around $75-100... unless she doesn't know about it (cash) :whistle:

My coworkers know I'm a comic book nerd and that I will buy "nice" comic related merchandise, but they have no clue how deep I am into it.

Dude.. I don't want to talk about this..it's an open wound on the botom of my sole, that widens with everybook..a sore.. that also makes me feel warm and fuzzy, titliates my mind, stratches my horizons, and makes me smile more and more..

My wife..in the other hand.. well.... uhmm..she....she knows..I think..just the other day I told her about a Hulk 181 and the great "deal" I got..

"Oh yeah, how much ?"

"Let's just say, it wasn't nearly enough to upset the equilibrium of life itself...not much babe..it's an old beat up copy of a random Hulk comic.."

It was a cgc 5.5..

Maaan, you're getting me started....I said I didn't want to alk about!!

My wife knows as I don't try to hide it. She did look at me sideways last month as I spent more than shed ever seen in one week.

My parents have always known....they've seen me enjoy the hobby since the mid 70s and have also seen me sell items to take care of normal bills etc.

A few weeks ago my aged mother phones me up very early on a Sunday morning. I'm still in bed - probably been up all night on these crazy message boards buying random stuff that I will never look at more than once - so the wife brings the phone to me.

Dear old mother says down the phone line "I'm reading the magazine in today's Mail and there's an article about the first Spiderman comic"

Me - half asleep - "OK"

Mother "It says when it first came out it cost 12 cents and now it's worth $40,000"

She pauses for effect and I nearly go back to sleep then she says "Do you have one?"

"Yes," I reply and I can nearly hear her falling off her chair down the other end of the phone line.

I then had to spend another ten minutes telling her that mine wasn't worth that much and explain CGC's grading system. I think she got the grasp of it but when she asked where she could find this grading system online and I told her it was a trade secret locked away in Area 51 with those aliens that crash landed at Roswell in 1947 she gave up and went back to reading how the economic fragility of the world was because of illegal imimgrants in the UK (Daily Mail, TM, 2009).

I tried to go back to sleep and had a dream about a paratrooper and a comic loving girl pretending they really didn't like each other when they did. And then Indiana Jones came and squished the paratrooper before I woke up.

I spend alot of time attributing purchases I recently made to a "great deal I got a few months ago that's finally shipped" even when unasked by my wife.

Seriously, though I'm taking a buying break. I've spent a little over 500 this last month and it's time to pause.

NO clue though I only buy 3 books monthly & the rest I want for hard covers :S & normally a sale / deal on them too either online or a con or sale at lcs

I spend alot of time attributing purchases I recently made to a "great deal I got a few months ago that's finally shipped" even when unasked by my wife.

Man do I know what you mean... ;)

All my comic collecting friends know how much I've spend, because we tell each other what we buy and how much. If the girlfriend, non-comic collecting friends and family knew how much I've spend on comics. They would probably called the police and tell them I got robbed.

Family knows I'm into comics but don't have any idea what I spend on them. Nothing compared to most. Don't think they are too worried though, they see me mailing out shipments of books every week too.

My wife has a pretty good idea what I have for books in terms of value. I used to try to slip a few past her but gave up on that. She takes it pretty well. She is also aware that it's going to be hard to pry them away from me. :)

My wife has a good idea of how much my collection is worth and she has, on occasion, bought me a few expensive books. I'd say I spend about 150-200 a month on comics, maybe a bit more depending on the month, which she agrees is no more that she spends on make-up, spa trips, purses, and other stuff she enjoys. So, for the most part...lol...she does know how much I spend.