• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on modern values

42 posts in this topic

Here're my thoughts on modern/current books that I've had for a long time. They may be available like water, but the higher grade books (9.6+) will still retain some value and be worth more later, simply based on condition.

The other side to this coin, though, is something that's never really occured in bulk in the past. I get the impression that it's not unusual for dealers to be sending in a lot of current books in bulk to get 9.8 & up's, for a quick profit flip, or simply for storage and speculation. So this begs the question, will this cause prices of these specific books to slump, because slabbed 9.8's and up becoming so much more prevelant? Of course, if there are 200 X-Men 430's in the census, the value will drop a little, but how significantly???

My thoughts are stemming from my attempts to get a complete x-men run in 9.8, for collection purposes. So looking at it from that angle, I'll eventually want issue 440 in 9.8, why not pay $30 for it now?

thoughts or recommendations? confused-smiley-013.gif

Why not just buy 10 really sharp copies from a few dealer bargain bins at some conventions. I'm sure one of those will be comparable to a 9.8.

Especially for moderns, I just don't understand paying such a huge premium just because CGC says the book is 9.8. I mean most of those moderns sold by dealers are at least 9.2-9.4 anyway...

Here're my thoughts on modern/current books that I've had for a long time. They may be available like water, but the higher grade books (9.6+) will still retain some value and be worth more later, simply based on condition.

The other side to this coin, though, is something that's never really occured in bulk in the past. I get the impression that it's not unusual for dealers to be sending in a lot of current books in bulk to get 9.8 & up's, for a quick profit flip, or simply for storage and speculation. So this begs the question, will this cause prices of these specific books to slump, because slabbed 9.8's and up becoming so much more prevelant? Of course, if there are 200 X-Men 430's in the census, the value will drop a little, but how significantly???

My thoughts are stemming from my attempts to get a complete x-men run in 9.8, for collection purposes. So looking at it from that angle, I'll eventually want issue 440 in 9.8, why not pay $30 for it now?

If you want to pay $30 go ahead. That may make up for your time in getting a raw issue and submittng yourself......

But.....Prices on 99% of moderns that are hot today are going to fall. It a very hot today/cool tomorrow sector of the market. Take Origin #1 for example. Try buying a 9.8 and up while the mini-series was being published and you'd have paid through the nose. Now you could get one in the $70 range on eBay and that will drop further....

I still find it hard to believe that people are still paying the money they are for slabbed copies of comics that are fresh off the racks. Time is showing us that if they wait awhile they could save alot of money and get the same slabbed comic.

Jim

I still find it hard to believe that people are still paying the money they are for slabbed copies of comics that are fresh off the racks. Time is showing us that if they wait awhile they could save alot of money and get the same slabbed comic.

Jim

Well, that's kind of my point, but I disagree completely. I rarely see a 9.8 of ANYTHING going for less than $30 (with the exception of some really silly titles, Hell, I've paid $25 for 9.6 X-Factors!). So the question is, will that go up? I'm thinking probably....

The other point to consider, in my case specifically, is the X-Men's popularity. It doesn't seem to wane, no matter what drivel Marvel puts out. So I don't see it happening anytime in the near future, either.

So, I guess, I'm not really asking if it's worth it to slab current books, but rather what you think the prices are going to do based on the census results becoming more populated.......

Well, that's kind of my point, but I disagree completely. I rarely see a 9.8 of ANYTHING going for less than $30 (with the exception of some really silly titles, Hell, I've paid $25 for 9.6 X-Factors!). So the question is, will that go up? I'm thinking probably....

No but the price of $25 will probably hold as sellers don't want to eat the grading costs.

The other point to consider, in my case specifically, is the X-Men's popularity. It doesn't seem to wane, no matter what drivel Marvel puts out. So I don't see it happening anytime in the near future, either.

They may be popular but after #150 they don't appreciate much as there's many HG copies out there.

So, I guess, I'm not really asking if it's worth it to slab current books, but rather what you think the prices are going to do based on the census results becoming more populated.......

The dreck will stay in the $25/30 range. there will be execptions but you'll have to wait a decade or so before it starts shaking out and the gems separate from the dreck....

Jim

You don't get a CGC 9.8 now, because you will have to get it re-slabbed 2 more times in the next 20 years which is expensive (every 7 years micro-chamber paper needs replaced). That is about $25 or more each time you get it slabbed (including postage each way). You better make sure whatever you are buying slabbed now is going to be worth re-slabbing later. I don't think most moderns would be worth the expense of future re-slabbings. Plus CGC comics take up a lot of space. IMHO it is better to buy unslabbed HG moderns and wait to see if they are worth slabbing later.

Buy or slab (sigh) whatever you love...

Now paying 30$ for one comic of the worst run on the U. X-men title seems at least insane to me...does a number changes that much your passion for a comic?

And if you want high grades like this one, JUST GO TO A COMICSTORE, MAYBE YOU'L GET A 10 at 3$...what do you think?! Maybe it's a better deal no?!

Well, that's kind of my point, but I disagree completely. I rarely see a 9.8 of ANYTHING going for less than $30 (with the exception of some really silly titles, Hell, I've paid $25 for 9.6 X-Factors!).

You must be joking. I've seen boatloads of 9.8s from the '80s and '90s go unsold at $24.99 or less. Just look at all the 9.8s that NeatStuff puts up for sale...over and over and over and over again because no one's even hit the minimum bid. Some good stuff, too...Simonson Thors, Uncanny X-Mens, etc.

Gene

You don't get a CGC 9.8 now, because you will have to get it re-slabbed 2 more times in the next 20 years which is expensive (every 7 years micro-chamber paper needs replaced).

Nah, that would be nuts. We have had the micro-chamber discussion here many times, it does not NEED to be replaced after 7 years. After this time period it just becomes inert and does not absorb any more acid.

You don't get a CGC 9.8 now, because you will have to get it re-slabbed 2 more times in the next 20 years which is expensive (every 7 years micro-chamber paper needs replaced).

Nah, that would be nuts. We have had the micro-chamber discussion here many times, it does not NEED to be replaced after 7 years. After this time period it just becomes inert and does not absorb any more acid.

Is that known for a fact? Is it written somewhere on CGC website? I would like to read exactly what they have to say about it, instead of hearing it from 2nd and 3rd hand sources.

Well, I'm simply not that good at picking them out. My 10's are often 9.6.

I [admittedly] suck at grading, but am getting better. So I pay $3 +$15...what if I'm wrong? now, IF I can still get the book for $3, it's $36 on my second try. (ignoring shipping here)

+ I don't have the discipline to submit regularly.

But again, the point of the question [although poorly worded] was... will the 9.8's still be of some value even when the census show 200-300 of them?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Joe Koch will also routinely list stuff that is 9.8 or 9.6 of modern stuff for $24.99 and will often fail to get any bids.

i've been personally offered 9.8 modern books for less than $15. Many people who submit these books perceive them as dumpers.

Bottom line is, modern books, whether 9.8s are not, are not automatically worth anything more than their raw counterparts. If you have a "hot" book, then there is an increase in the value, otherwise, slabbing moderns is a waste of money to me.

Is that known for a fact? Is it written somewhere on CGC website? I would like to read exactly what they have to say about it, instead of hearing it from 2nd and 3rd hand sources.

I found a thread in the "Ask CGC" forum that talked about the micro-chamber paper needing to be replaced every 7 years. I replied to the last post and asked the question if the CGC grade is still good if micro-chamber isn't replaced in 7 years. Now I can't find that thread. It is like it disappeared or something. What's the deal?

I found a thread in the "Ask CGC" forum that talked about the micro-chamber paper needing to be replaced every 7 years. I replied to the last post and asked the question if the CGC grade is still good if micro-chamber isn't replaced in 7 years. Now I can't find that thread. It is like it disappeared or something. What's the deal?

It "disappeared" huh? Conspiracy, maybe?........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mmmmm....maybe because the forum is moderated? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mmmmm....maybe because the forum is moderated? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I tried to post a question there some months ago and the same thing happened. Me thinks the micro-chamber re-slabbing discussing is not one they want to have. confused-smiley-013.gif

I tried to post a question there some months ago and the same thing happened. Me thinks the micro-chamber re-slabbing discussing is not one they want to have. confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Reslabbing might be a cash cow for CGC if the subject of microchamber paper active timespan (if true) became common knowledge in the collecting community.....

Jim

I don't know.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Reslabbing might be a cash cow for CGC if the subject of microchamber paper active timespan (if true) became common knowledge in the collecting community.....

Jim

Considering that we're talking about a very finite number of viable books that make sense for slabbing, I would say that after the first few years, reslabbing might be CGC's ONLY cash cow.

Oh... unless you think that Modern books are going to have some sort of future value. 27_laughing.gif

Considering that we're talking about a very finite number of viable books that make sense for slabbing, I would say that after the first few years, reslabbing might be CGC's ONLY cash cow.

I agree, and I think CGC's next logical step would be to open the doors to 1970-75 comics, using the current Modern price tier and valuation structure.