• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on how to start collecting OA!!

39 posts in this topic

yeah you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy the hobby but just like comics if you want to have the pieces that will get ooooh's and aaaah's you had better bend over

That's not always true, though. If you know how to haggle correctly and make the right connections with certain people, you can get some nice stuff like that without being put over a barrel to obtain it.

I respectfully disagree. You can get "nice" stuff that way but you'll not get a+ vintage stuff (the ooh's and aah's) without paying a ton. Even negotiated well or through contacts the stuff that gets attention just isn't cheap. Basically if you're egobuilding through art it will cost you big time. If you're happy enjoying stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it can be a reasonably priced hobby, but it won't be attention garnering stuff that you get that way

really its no different than comics. you might find somebody to give you a great deal on a vf+ asm33 but on an asm 1? forget about it... even a "deal" is only a small discount.

same with art. You might find a deal on a buscema panel page but on an adams cover? good luck.

Time. Take all the time you want and shop all around. Look at all the pieces and when you find one you like, inquire and purchase, or not. Eventually you will find a piece you love and that you can afford and that will look great on the wall.

Quality, not quantity, is the goal. Take all the time you need to get that quality piece and you will enjoy that one item far longer than 10 items bought in hasty judgement.

The love of art is relative. You may think that key cover would be awesome to own but be critical. Does it really appeal to your own aesthetic sensibility?

these threads got me on my solid start :)

although, my bank account wishes that i never asked these questions (:

Everyone has been great and I want to thank everyone for the input.

I did have a couple of other questions:

Is there a premium $ for covers and splash pages over interior pages?

And (remember I am a complete novice in the comicbook art & making process - I just read and collected them) when do the pages get colored? and do the sell colored art?

BTW I would like to start with a Deathlok or Machine Man art if anyone knows of anyone who has them or where I should look to find these? I did try some of the links above and had no to little luck.

Yes. A large Premuim but it depends on who is on the cover or Splash.

And (remember I am a complete novice in the comicbook art & making process - I just read and collected them) when do the pages get colored? and do the sell colored art?

The pages get couloured well after the fact and are doen on mechanical reporductions. Coloured pieces are generally not OA.

Yes. A large Premuim but it depends on who is on the cover or Splash.

The pages get couloured well after the fact and are doen on mechanical reporductions. Coloured pieces are generally not OA.

I agree. It's rare to find a hand colored piece that is also OA.

In modern art you almost never see it aside from the stories that are painted such as Justice and painted covers.

Pretty much everything Alex Ross does is in color.

As for line art that is then colored, some guys have tried it and gone back to computer coloring or color guides.

Eric Powell tried it for one issue of "The Goon" and decided it was too labor intensive and gave it up.

Here is what that art looks like and even here the colors are pretty minimal:

Powell_Goon15p1.JPG

Hello,

I found this item on ebay ans was wondering if someone could explain what this is. The description states that "It's IRON MAN versus MACHINE MAN! Hello, Marvel Comics superheroes! This is an Official Marvel Comics Production Staff ONE OF A KIND original colorist art/color guide page used in the direct production of the vintage 1983 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN issue 168 comic book. Back in the early 1980's, Marvel's Staff couldn't have produced the actual comic book without this '83 Ironman page! Color guides/colorist's artwork are re-sized copies of the pencil & ink original artwork that are assigned to the issue's colorist, and then hand colored by that colorist. Colorguides measure about the same size as the published comic book, and some have "color codes" for the printers to follow. Computer coloring has made hand painted colorist artwork extinct. This description is © RLC."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=6596403103

Thank you, B

Hello,

I found this item on ebay ans was wondering if someone could explain what this is. The description states that "It's IRON MAN versus MACHINE MAN! Hello, Marvel Comics superheroes! This is an Official Marvel Comics Production Staff ONE OF A KIND original colorist art/color guide page used in the direct production of the vintage 1983 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN issue 168 comic book. Back in the early 1980's, Marvel's Staff couldn't have produced the actual comic book without this '83 Ironman page! Color guides/colorist's artwork are re-sized copies of the pencil & ink original artwork that are assigned to the issue's colorist, and then hand colored by that colorist. Colorguides measure about the same size as the published comic book, and some have "color codes" for the printers to follow. Computer coloring has made hand painted colorist artwork extinct. This description is © RLC."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=6596403103

Thank you, B

These are xerox copies of line art.

The artist and inker never touched this. The colorist makes a photocopy of the actual artwork and colors it. The only thing that is original on it are the colors.

It's a part of the production process but if you are looking at these as a fan of the penciller or inker you should pass on these.

C

The best advice I've sene posted on these boards has been to wait 6 months before making any purchase if your just getting into the hobby.

Many collectors go crazy with the "It's one of a kind and I'll never see it again." Than after watching from the sidelines for six months they realize that isn't always the case. Some things are obvious in hindsight, but you may not have noticed since you never really looked before.

I'd also suggest to make a folder on your computer and save JPGs in there of the art you would like to purchase in that 6 months. Keep track as if you had purchased it. Then go back and see if 6 months later you would still have bought it and at that price. It's a great experiment that will cost you nothing. Even after collecting for a couple of years I still bookmark stuff to go back to at a later date. Sometimes the draw to purchase has gone, and sometimes it is just as strong as when I first saw the piece. And soemtimes the piece has sold ans saved me the decision to purchase or not.

Mike

The best advice I've sene posted on these boards has been to wait 6 months before making any purchase if your just getting into the hobby.

Many collectors go crazy with the "It's one of a kind and I'll never see it again." Than after watching from the sidelines for six months they realize that isn't always the case. Some things are obvious in hindsight, but you may not have noticed since you never really looked before.

Mike

While I think waiting initially can be good advice and I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to be hasty, I think I should point out my experience. As I was starting out a few years ago I was offered a Sandman page and it seemed pretty expensive, I hemmed and hawed over night but I liked it and eventually decided to pull the trigger. Turned out it was expensive but I never saw a better page from that artist since, and the price now seems cheap. Had I passed I suspect I'd still be griping about the one I missed out on.

Just my experience.

I was just thinking the same thing. If I'd waited out my first 6 months, I'd have missed out on some cool mess. Of course that was back in the day when they practically gave you cool as mess just for being so damn cool as to be buying OA anyhow. :grin:

Just be smart about it. More stuff is going to seem like gotta have it items. you'll discover later on which is really which.

-e.

I would say 1 out of every 5 - 7 pieces I bought my first year collecting was a true "gotta have it" -- so many purchases were just me going "wow, that's pretty cool!" and pulling the trigger. Of course my tastes changed too, I realized diversity was more fun than a monolithic collection of all one thing.

Of course comic art is cool -- we're all comic fans and think this stuff is cool in general. But at the end of the day resources are finite and you can't possibly hope to own everything that you ooh and aahh over on the internets.