• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on how to start collecting OA!!

39 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been collecting comics for a long time and want to start to venture into OA.

But I would like to have an idea of what I am doing and hopefully avoid making bad decisions.

Some of the information I am looking for is the "lingo" what should I look for and what should I avoid / scams.

What is a good way to start?

Price guides??

Books on the subject / websites with information about collecting OA etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

B

Some advice:

Don't buy right away. Look around for a while, check comicartfans.com, heritagecomics.com and this site to get an idea about availability and values. There is no price guide, nor would a price guide be able to keep up.

I suggest buying what you _really_ like. Buying lesser pieces that you're going to end up selling later (possibly at a loss) is a waste of time. Go slow and save your money for something you really want.

good advice, but even if you buy what you really like at first that will change later anyways. There's a certain element of dues-paying... you sort of have to make these mistakes along the way to figure out what you really do and don't like. at least that's been my experience with art.

Some advice:

Don't buy right away. Look around for a while, check comicartfans.com, heritagecomics.com and this site to get an idea about availability and values. There is no price guide, nor would a price guide be able to keep up.

I suggest buying what you _really_ like. Buying lesser pieces that you're going to end up selling later (possibly at a loss) is a waste of time. Go slow and save your money for something you really want.

good advice, but even if you buy what you really like at first that will change later anyways. There's a certain element of dues-paying... you sort of have to make these mistakes along the way to figure out what you really do and don't like. at least that's been my experience with art.

Thank you both for the very sound advice! (thumbs u

Some advice:

I like this advice. It is always tempting to buy cheap comics or OA that catch your eye but you are better off saving for a grail piece. To me, if it ain't worth framing it ain't worth buying.

Make sure what you buy is really original art. There are terms to know.

Recreation = Original art reproduced usually by another person to exactly replicate the original piece. Usually valued at a lot less money. It is original art, just maybe not the page you were hoping for.

Commission=Piece that was not published, that was requested by an individual from an artist for a fee.

Color Guide= A copy of the original art printed at the comicbook standard size, colored by a colorist to be used as reference for the printing process

Rough Pencils=Sometimes an artist will storyboard the entire comic in pencils on seperate paper to space out the action sequence. Though this is original art, it is not the original pencils to a given story.

I have seen the terms: print, xerox, portfolio, etc all used in the ebay section of original art. Be careful.

Just a few I came up with off the top of my head. I'm sure others can add some more.

Recreation = Original art reproduced usually by another person to exactly replicate the original piece. Usually valued at a lot less money. It is original art, just maybe not the page you were hoping for.

Commission=Piece that was not published, that was requested by an individual from an artist for a fee.

Color Guide= A copy of the original art printed at the comicbook standard size, colored by a colorist to be used as reference for the printing process

Rough Pencils=Sometimes an artist will storyboard the entire comic in pencils on seperate paper to space out the action sequence. Though this is original art, it is not the original pencils to a given story.

I have seen the terms: print, xerox, portfolio, etc all used in the ebay section of original art. Be careful.

Just a few I came up with off the top of my head. I'm sure others can add some more.

Thank you very much! (thumbs u I was noticing all the different descriptions on EBay and was wondering what they meant. :pullhair:

What are acetates and cells? hm

Cells are often painted pieces used in old-style animation. Acetates are clear plastic like substrates used for overlays that may contain type and logos.

A lot of people collect the overlay proofs (color keys) used in the printing process before presses were digital, and these also resemble acetate material.

Good luck with the art quest. Some of it has gotten crazy expensive, but you can find a deal every once in a while.

acetates are basically reproductions on a mylar or mylar like film. Once in a while there might be a piece that has the original inking on the mylar, but generally they are copies created as part of the production process is my understanding

I'd also add that you should make sure to make as many connections and relationships with others as you can, be they other collectors or artists and their reps. The more connections you have, the better your chances of finding pieces you are really interested in and getting chances at some nice deals that can come along. Make yourself a part of the greater community of those who appreciate comic art. Go to chats and forums (like this one) and let people get to know something about you. Like so much in life: It's never what, but who it is you know. (thumbs u

A few years ago, I read on this this forum that all the better pieces are bought and sold privately rather than through public venues. Several different posters said that the original art offered on ebay, Heritage and on dealer websites are second and third tier pieces that have already been rejected by the private buyers. I didn't want to believe this when I read it, but as I become more involved in this hobb, I have found out that they were right, and that the best art trade privately.

There are also Items that may look like O/A but are actually stat Mockups of final product before they to to printer. Ive seen a few sellers on bay selling these.

Another piece of advice.. Look the other way and run before its to late

Some advice:

This advice should be on a plaque on everyones wall. Definitely words to live by!

unless you have a 6 figure comic collection that you can liquidate to fund OA, the biggest barier to entering the market is $$$$$$. All the big time dealers and collectors go into art prior to the late 90's and amassed large collections of art that sold for $10-$20 a page that now sell for 10x that or more.

there are some alternatives though, strip art collecting is fairly reasonable by comparison. Also, sketchbooks. Many collectors will get a nice art sketch book and take it to cons for pros to do sketches (free or paid) often they have a theme for their sketchbooks (like apes, a certain character, reinterpreting a particular classic cover, etc) Stronguy has a great project where he has artists at cons recreate the headshots of the Marvel Value Stamps of the 70's.

yeah you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy the hobby but just like comics if you want to have the pieces that will get ooooh's and aaaah's you had better bend over