• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Is Hellblazer the longest running post bronze comic?

45 posts in this topic

2000AD has everything beat... just passed the 1600 mark a while ago... Heavy Metal might have ol' JC beat, too...

Doesn't count - it's a weekly.

Still amazing that it has lasted this long in the UK comic market.

Wish I'd kept my #1 with the spinner doh!

What's really lame is that DC and Marvel, in their desperate search for $$$$, have jettisoned 75 years of history in favor of "#1s"

Justice League would be in the 500's by now.

Oh well.

I agree completely. At least Marvel have gone back to original numbering with Thor & Cap now but we'll see how long that will last.

You are right - DC really have screwed with the JLA numbering. Wonder Woman as well - issues going right back to the GA and the birth of the super-hero and they are on to another volume for WW!

The only thing I can think of that is close, and will likely be surpassed is Cerebus. If it does surpass cerebus, does that make it the longest running comic since the Silver age? Am I missing another contender? (shrug)

yes Sonic the Hedgehog by Archie comics. 200 hundred and counting.

sth200.png

The Sonic series is very valuable. issue 1 alone is worth over $100 dollars.

Sonic trumped the image books , who would have that thought that in the early 1990`s?

It is...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Archie-adventure-series-Sonic-the-hedgehog-1-mar-1993_W0QQitemZ110369762588QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3983QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG-COMIC-BOOK-1-NMT-TO-MT-COND-LQQK_W0QQitemZ180343380111QQihZ008QQcategoryZ35761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Neither the mini nor the regular #1 are selling for much these days.

I made a (tiny) fortune on Sonics in the very early 2000's....back when you could sell issues in the 20's for $30 each. Crazy. I still don't really understand that particular niche in the market.

Guest Grails

The 300 issue mark of Cerebus will of course be passed with time but the more difficult achievement would be for another original, single creative team to produce and surpass that number.

It is...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Archie-adventure-series-Sonic-the-hedgehog-1-mar-1993_W0QQitemZ110369762588QQihZ001QQcategoryZ3983QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG-COMIC-BOOK-1-NMT-TO-MT-COND-LQQK_W0QQitemZ180343380111QQihZ008QQcategoryZ35761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Neither the mini nor the regular #1 are selling for much these days.

I made a (tiny) fortune on Sonics in the very early 2000's....back when you could sell issues in the 20's for $30 each. Crazy. I still don't really understand that particular niche in the market.

here is a whole history of this amazing series about Sonic.200 hundred issues and counting !

Sonic comicbook history

sth175.jpg

The 300 issue mark of Cerebus will of course be passed with time but the more difficult achievement would be for another original, single creative team to produce and surpass that number.

yes, that is an entirely different point, and a very valid one that will stand for a LONG time. I was trying to see which comic has had the longest run since the silver age, sheer force of the character propelling a series on.

Hellblazer is still much further along than sonic, but sill amazing that it is over issue 200.

Hellblazer is the one title that I've been buying, month in and month out, since I was in middle school. It's the only title that I have never dropped from my pull list for any reason (other books I may have dropped and picked back up when I liked a new creative team). I've definitely enjoyed some runs more than others, but even at its lowest points I would say it's more interesting than 95% of the other books on the stands.

I had no idea that the circulation numbers were so low...yikes! Let's hope it can hang in there. That would leave a big hole in my fanboy heart if it were to be cancelled.

In recent years I've been trying to replace my worn out copies with nicer ones. It has been fun, although somewhat challenging, to pick up high grade copies of this run. I just don't see a lot of the early (say, Delano's run, any of the stuff before Ennis) issues out there very often.

Great book!

Something to consider:

Groo.

Now, I know what you're saying....

But Groo has appeared in 2 previews, 8 Pacific issues, 1 Eclipse, 120 Marvel/Epic, 12 Image, and at least four 4 issue Dark Horse minis, a DH special, for a grand total of well over 150 issues...with the same artist (Sergio) and writer (Mark.)

Consider that Stan's been with them for almost every issue, and Tom Luth just a few issues less, you'd be hard pressed to find a single character with the same writer, artist, inker, AND colorist for as long a run.

If they had kept publishing in the mid 90's, they'd be hitting 300 issues any day now!

Still, even though the publishers changed, everything else was as essentially the same as Cerebus....so that's gotta count for something, no? In that sense, aren't they the longest running same creator team on the same book outside of Cerebus?

i don't know how they aren't losing their shirts paying people to do a 11,000 print-run comic, unless people love it so much they do the work at a deep discount. some of those hellblazer covers are really nice, doesn't that cost money or is the artist more interested in eventually selling the OA and having some more noteriety?

i don't know how they aren't losing their shirts paying people to do a 11,000 print-run comic, unless people love it so much they do the work at a deep discount. some of those hellblazer covers are really nice, doesn't that cost money or is the artist more interested in eventually selling the OA and having some more noteriety?

My guess is that they sell substantially more of the same issues in TPB form. Every moden issue gets reprinted within a few months, and I suspect most of the (largely mature) audience prefers that format.

What about some of those Gladstone Disney series?

They are not being published anymore, while Scooby and Looney Tunes have both been published non-stop monthly since the mid-1990`s by DC.

Thought I saw some new issues a couple months ago. Cover price was like $8.95 each.