• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this all select #1

86 posts in this topic

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2805413&fpart=46

here's the link to the 3.5.

well I think $3,000 may be too much. I will counter offer and see what he says.

I think I will post a wanted ad on here for other Timely's (mainly sub mariner #1, human torch #2(1), and all select #1 and see what happens.

Subby 1 :luhv:

my thoughts exactly.

subby1.jpg

hm

OK, now I LIKE new people...it's nice to have new people...but when someone's first post on the boards is about an All Select 1, that just sold on C-Link...

and then the same book, JUST happens to show up (the same night) on Ebay...

I would figure THIS is the same book?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200329700006&fromMakeTrack=true

and when I email the seller (who does not usually sell comics) ..he responds that he won't be able to send me a larger picture until Friday, because the book is at his warehouse...

Something...seems to be a trifle Odd, here? :shrug:?

Especially since I'm seeing the words "hot" in the both places...and the Ebay sale is asking for less money?

hm

My feeling is if this is your grail get it. If you have a number of books in mind for that type of money, I would wait for the best copy I could get for the money sans defects.

I also beleive we are entering more of a buyers market. Time will tell but prices might be getting better for buyers in the next 6-12 months.

hey thanks. this is a great forum. my goal over ther next 3 years or so is to eventually have a display case filled with Timely books that will sit in my den. I have only collected silver age up till now but thought it would be fun to grab a few GA's. cgc 3.0-6.0 are fine with me as long as they have some nice eye appeal to them, that's why the all select 3.0 caught my eye at first. your right though, I shouldn't be in a hurry.

Well, hope you have some deep pockets!

lol

I know exactly where you are coming from as I made the switch from SA to GA about 1.5 years ago.

Some people have been looking to fill their Showcases for years and when a desirable book shows up it can lead to a real shooting match...although the availability of super cool books has increased over the past few months.

Good luck with your quest!

Roy.

Agreed Roy. Looks like the Timely bug is bout to strike again :devil: Once you go GA, you don't turn back---another shark in the water competing for prey :frustrated:

hm

OK, now I LIKE new people...it's nice to have new people...but when someone's first post on the boards is about an All Select 1, that just sold on C-Link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200329700006&fromMakeTrack=true

and when I email the seller (who does not usually sell comics) ..he responds that he won't be able to send me a larger picture until Friday, because the book is at his warehouse...

Especially since I'm seeing the words "hot" in the both places...and the Ebay sale is asking for less money?

haha, you make a good point. PLEASE let me explain what happened. I posted an wanted ad on craigslist and a consigner replied. He cold me a gentlemen had an all select #1 he was asking $3,500. I said what about 3k? he said fine, so the seller sent the book to the consigner (he quickly cancelled the CL listing as soon as I said 3k). Once I found out he was asking $2,700 for the book thanks to these boards (BIG thanks!), I counter offered with $2,600 (since I would pay in cash and come to his front door to pick it up). well needless to say he made his choice. didn't e-mail me back and now it's listed on ebay. I know it looks suspicious but this is what happened. i'm not gonna pay $3,000 when I knew he was asking less.

BTW, say the books sells for $3,000 on ebay. what will he be looking at in fees? paypal will take 5% ($150) and ebay will take, what about another $150-$200 aswell? i would of went his asking price in cash. he better reach atleast $3,000 at auction or I would of given more. :D ........oh yeah, and i'm drooling over that subby 1 pic. ;)

hm

haha, you make a good point. PLEASE let me explain what happened. I posted an wanted ad on craigslist and a consigner replied. He cold me a gentlemen had an all select #1 he was asking $3,500. I said what about 3k? he said fine, so the seller sent the book to the consigner (he quickly cancelled the CL listing as soon as I said 3k). Once I found out he was asking $2,700 for the book thanks to these boards (BIG thanks!), I counter offered with $2,600 (since I would pay in cash and come to his front door to pick it up). well needless to say he made his choice. didn't e-mail me back and now it's listed on ebay. I know it looks suspicious but this is what happened. i'm not gonna pay $3,000 when I knew he was asking less.

BTW, say the books sells for $3,000 on ebay. what will he be looking at in fees? paypal will take 5% ($150) and ebay will take, what about another $150-$200 aswell? i would of went his asking price in cash. he better reach atleast $3,000 at auction or I would of given more. :D ........oh yeah, and i'm drooling over that subby 1 pic. ;)

Sounds like you had a deal at $3,000. It really doesnt matter what he was offering it for in another venue. (shrug)

hm

Still makes no sense to me, why would someone list this same book on Ebay, for $2800? WITH A BEST OFFER OPTION? after you had a deal at $3,000? The listing is going to cost him at least $200, he's not a power seller (so the fees will be higher), has only 15 transactions in the past year, and it looks like he/she was listing wristlets, not comics. Why would he have a book he just listed, at a warehouse? That's a standard statement from someone who really doesn't have the book. There is no back cover picture.

Just seems very odd.

hm

Sounds like you had a deal at $3,000. It really doesnt matter what he was offering it for in another venue. (shrug)

Nothing was official though. I told him that I had a good sum of money coming to me in about one month (i do) and that we would make it official or not then (that's why I came on the boards to get a 2nd opinion). I caught the consigner lieing to me though (which I didn't like). I debated with myself for 3k, and once I found out he would've taken less, It would've been on the back of my mind if I would've bought it. that's why I decided to counter offer. it's no biggie. I was rushing into it a tad.

BTW, for anyone else reading this and thinking about bidding. That book was listed at $2800 last night, with a best offer option. Right after I posted here, it was changed to a 1-cent starting bid with NO reserve.

BTW, for anyone else reading this and thinking about bidding. That book was listed at $2800 last night, with a best offer option. Right after I posted here, it was changed to a 1-cent starting bid with NO reserve.

Didn't I mention that the OP should offer $2,800 earlier? strange hm On CLink the price was $2,700....

Didn't I mention that the OP should offer $2,800 earlier? strange hm On CLink the price was $2,700....

It's the same book from the same seller. He knew I didn't see the listing on CLink and that I was a newcomer to GA and he tried to stretch his luck with the asking price on me. I realized he was willing to take less. counter offered. he listed it on ebay instead. That pretty much sums it up I think.

again, I know it looks bad, but it is a coincidence. I'm not affiliated with the book other then the fact I was interested in buying it. :)

I get this feeling if the auction doesn't reach $2,700 or $2,800 he will end it early and try to sell it to me knowing how much the ebay/paypal fees would cost him and the loss he would take. He told me he wasn't going to do that but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he does.

That was the first thing that bothered me...that coincidence...

I know I was seriously going to buy it, until he didn't provide a picture..

Now if he IS legit, and a separate person from our poster, here, then I'll be getting the information I requested, and of course ..he would NOT end the auction.

That was the first thing that bothered me...that coincidence...

I know I was seriously going to buy it, until he didn't provide a picture..

Now if he IS legit, and a separate person from our poster, here, then I'll be getting the information I requested, and of course ..he would NOT end the auction.

the auction's legit. I am not the owner of the book.

If you really hadn't committed to the deal at $3,000, then he should have taken your $2600 offer. Even if the book had sold for his full asking price of $2700 on CL, he only would have made $2430 on the deal. Maybe he thought you had a deal at 3K, and was offended when you came back with the $2600 offer?

If you really hadn't committed to the deal at $3,000, then he should have taken your $2600 offer. Even if the book had sold for his full asking price of $2700 on CL, he only would have made $2430 on the deal. Maybe he thought you had a deal at 3K, and was offended when you came back with the $2600 offer?

that was probably the case. I figured he would of still took my offer as well considering I was paying cash, willing to travel, ect

with $300+ in fees he could very well end up taking less when it's all said and done, maybe maybe not, I'll have to wait and see.

I got a bit confused on this thread. Is the person you were dealing with the same person who is listing it on ebay, or is it possibly someone who is maybe associcated with the person who is trying to make a bit of extra profit? If the book sold on Clink then why is it being sold on Ebay a few weeks later?

Personally if I stick to deals once made, but if I found out somene had a book listed on CLink for 10% cheaper than they offered it to me for I think I would reneg on the deal as well. Deals are supposed to be done on good faith and charging you 10% more than everyone else just because you are a "sucker" is not good faith. A lot of people would probably argue that dealers have the right to maximize profits, but if they do so in this manner they should expect to leave a bad taste in collectors mouths. Personally I think it is fair to counter at 5% or so less then he would have gotten from Clink as they would still be ahead.

Bruce

I got a bit confused on this thread. Is the person you were dealing with the same person who is listing it on ebay, or is it possibly someone who is maybe associcated with the person who is trying to make a bit of extra profit? If the book sold on Clink then why is it being sold on Ebay a few weeks later?

Personally if I stick to deals once made, but if I found out somene had a book listed on CLink for 10% cheaper than they offered it to me for I think I would reneg on the deal as well. Deals are supposed to be done on good faith and charging you 10% more than everyone else just because you are a "sucker" is not good faith. A lot of people would probably argue that dealers have the right to maximize profits, but if they do so in this manner they should expect to leave a bad taste in collectors mouths. Personally I think it is fair to counter at 5% or so less then he would have gotten from Clink as they would still be ahead.

Bruce

I am actually a bit confused as well. he told me he was a consigner for a client now he says he bought the book recently for $3050 and doesn't know why it's listed on CLINK (yeah right...) .He is literally now changing his story from a week ago. I'm not sure I'm starting to trust this guy.

I couldn't agree more with your 2nd paragragh and it is the exact reason I pulled out. granted I should of done my homework but I think he realized he got "caught" when I told him I saw it listed for $2,700 and he wasn't sure what quite to say.

Well if you are agreeing with me than you should add Daring Mystery #1 to your list of must get Timelys :grin: best timely cover IMHO.

Hopefully the deal goes through well for you if you end up buying the book.

Bruce

Well if you are agreeing with me than you should add Daring Mystery #1 to your list of must get Timelys :grin: best timely cover IMHO.

Hopefully the deal goes through well for you if you end up buying the book.

Bruce

there is ZERO chance of paying by mail now. I will pay in person or will forget it.