• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage now charging NY state sales tax :(

67 posts in this topic

From a Heritage email I got just now...

Effective April 15th, Heritage will be required by state law to charge all applicable sales taxes on any items delivered to New York addresses other than sales to dealers with valid New York sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed New York resale certificate (exempt purchasers may, of course, furnish us with properly completed New York exemption certificates). Please see paragraph #25 in our Terms and Conditions for more complete information.

:o Ack! Now ComicLink AND Heritage are undesirable venues for NY state buyers.

What changed over there that they now have to do this?

Wow. There is so much money in NY...I wonder how many bidders and their $$ it will affect.

A while back a friend of mine had a big ComicLink purchase shipped to another friend in Jersey to avoid the tax payment. He said it was a pain the butt, but worth it for such a pricey lot.

On the flip side, the last few ComicLink auctions have had one or two books that he would have bid heavily on, but when he factored in the tax and/or the shipping workaround, it was not worth it.

Heritage has been my online auction site of choice (as a buyer) because unlike ComicLink and ComicConnect (Metro) it was tax free. I've bought a crazy amount of stuff from them in the last six months. I would say that my bidding activity (and bid amounts) will drop significantly now because of the sales tax.

What a bummer. Wish they would have established offices somewhere else.

Don't think of it as a sales tax, think of it as a 27% buyer's premium.
^^

Simple solution. Stick to ebay. Heritage charges such stupid money to buy a book from their auction. Why would I bid on a book I want and then pay 1/5th to them for posting an image of the book?

From a Heritage email I got just now...

Effective April 15th, Heritage will be required by state law to charge all applicable sales taxes on any items delivered to New York addresses other than sales to dealers with valid New York sales tax numbers who are purchasing for resale and who furnish us with a properly completed New York resale certificate (exempt purchasers may, of course, furnish us with properly completed New York exemption certificates). Please see paragraph #25 in our Terms and Conditions for more complete information.

:o Ack! Now ComicLink AND Heritage are undesirable venues for NY state buyers.

What changed over there that they now have to do this?

nelson_ha_ha.jpg

For the record? I wouldn't go advertising on a public site that I was circumventing tax laws.

Good thing I'm a pathological liar and none of what I say is true. In fact, I've already lied 10 times in this one reply.

:think:

For the record? I wouldn't go advertising on a public site that I was circumventing tax laws.

Resale = no sales tax! (thumbs u