• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage now charging NY state sales tax :(

67 posts in this topic

Good thing I've only ever bought 1 thing from Heritage. Might have to start using my brothers address in VT.
Thanks for bringing this up. I can just use my Vermont address. :banana: $4400 x 8.25% is outrageous.

I should have done that with my big Comiclink purchase. From now on I will. They tax my pay check enough as it is in this state. I blame Patterson.

This is Patterson's fault isn't it? :frustrated: Is he blind?

he should be able to get his new job as a PGX pre-grader then. :whistle:

Can we have a recall election even though we didn't elect him to the position in the first place?

His days are numbered! ;)

I am obviously an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, which would explain why my comic shop eventually

failed, but is Heritage not? based in Dallas, as a company registered

with the Texas State Comptrollers office, and why would a Texas based

business collect taxes for the state of New York ?? , I was under the assumption,

that to this day, interstate sales were not taxable.

Where are the lawyer/attorney/accountants at on Good Friday ?

Any business that has a physical location or registers for a tax resale number in a state must collect sales tax in that state, regardless of where the main office or parent company is located. Heritage has opened a gallery or sales office in NY, and are collecting money there, so they must start collecting sales tax there.

We applied for a resale tax id with the State of California since we were setting up at multiple shows there every year. Registering for those temporary tax permits was a huge hassle. Unfortunately it meant we had to collect sales tax on any transaction with California residents. I eventually let resale permit there lapse when the knuckleheads in the Tax Office (California Department of Equalization) decided that they should be collecting corporate income taxes off of me too!! It took some fighting, but Cali got nadda.

Never bought a single book from those charlatans, and never will!

Funny, that's the same approach I take to your posts hm

I got the email as well :(

I guess my days of buying from Heritage are over :sorry:

Since when is NY State tax 7%? It's more like 8.25% isn't it?

Mine is only 7.37%, but it's probably going to make me stop looking at their site, I'm fine with Ebay. I've spent too much at Heritage lately, and after I had decided to NEVER bid with them, two years ago...so this will be a good thing for me;) I was swayed by the allure of comic books;) and I fell.

If NY is anything like Tennessee, they have found a loophole in the tax code that allows them to levy an out of state company to collect sales tax if they have an office or distribution center in that state as they assume that is where the transaction is actually taking place.

That's right. I don't know the reasons for Heritage's action, but it doesn't necessarily even have to be a physical presence. There's been a lot of debate about New York trying to make online affiliates count for this purpose, leading some sites to go so far as to ban New York residents from their affiliate programs. See these results for more info:

Google results for new york sales tax affiliate

Even more funny, it also happens to be the exact approach I have to YOUR "business" hm

and how ironic, you're BOTH from Texass :hi:

Even more funny, it also happens to be the exact approach I have to YOUR "business" hm

and how ironic, you're BOTH from Texass :hi:

That's not just funny, that's GREAT! Not having to deal with you is wonderful for both the state and the business. (thumbs u

I'm betting there are doing some kind of physical operations here. This would be cool if they opened an auction house here....at least we could benefit by going to some auctions physically. But, it's probably something to do with coins:(

except that newspapers, magazines and other periodicals (one might argue, including comics) are exempt from New York sales tax

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/publications/sales/pub750_208.pdf

i've been told that this might not apply to vintage periodicals, but i don't see an exception to the exemption in the above pdf.

i did see something about it needing to be written by different authors...so an anthology comic is a periodical, but an issue of ASM isn't? heck, what about the editorial section in a marvel comic!?!?!

I am obviously an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, which would explain why my comic shop eventually

failed, but is Heritage not? based in Dallas, as a company registered

with the Texas State Comptrollers office, and why would a Texas based

business collect taxes for the state of New York ?? , I was under the assumption,

that to this day, interstate sales were not taxable.

Where are the lawyer/attorney/accountants at on Good Friday ?

Any business that has a physical location or registers for a tax resale number in a state must collect sales tax in that state, regardless of where the main office or parent company is located. Heritage has opened a gallery or sales office in NY, and are collecting money there, so they must start collecting sales tax there.

Now this I understand. I was not aware that they had a physical office

in NY, years ago a firm would just have a contract rep on retainer to get around

the problem.

We applied for a resale tax id with the State of California since we were setting up at multiple shows there every year. Registering for those temporary tax permits was a huge hassle. Unfortunately it meant we had to collect sales tax on any transaction with California residents. I eventually let resale permit there lapse when the knuckleheads in the Tax Office (California Department of Equalization) decided that they should be collecting corporate income taxes off of me too!! It took some fighting, but Cali got nadda.

Insanity was only temporary huh ?

When I made an over the phone payment to them today, I had them change my shipping info to Vermont. Actually, I initially forgot but, they called me back because the debit card I used was from my Vermont address. I told her I prefer the books ship to Vermont anyways because of the new sales tax to NY, and please change the shipping info on the account.

I've shied away from buying at Heritage since the sales tax announcement.. but I had a lapse of common sense last night and bid on a few items.

From my invoice:

[font:Courier New]

SubTotal: $270.00

Buyer Premium: $52.65

Shipping and Handling: $15.60

Sales Tax: $30.02

Amount Due: $368.27[/font]

That's a 37% ($100) surcharge on top of the sales price to get them in to my hands! :o:frustrated::sorry:

I've shied away from buying at Heritage since the sales tax announcement.. but I had a lapse of common sense last night and bid on a few items.

From my invoice:

That's a 37% ($100) surcharge on top of the sales price to get them in to my hands! :o:frustrated::sorry:

What was the item you won? Is the book 37% higher than market price ? Otherwise your point does not make sense.

I do not understand why anyone would shy away from Heritage - if there is a book you want and with all charges it comes to market price - what difference does it make?

What was the item you won? Is the book 37% higher than market price ? Otherwise your point does not make sense.

I do not understand why anyone would shy away from Heritage - if there is a book you want and with all charges it comes to market price - what difference does it make?

I didn't make a point.. just stated facts. I was rather shocked when I saw the bottom line, is all.

Of course, I could take the 'market price' reduce it to account for the buyer's premium, shipping and sales tax, then make that my max bid. Been there, done that. But most of the time I'm bidding on PA/GA items that rarely come up for auction in high grade and if I want the item, I have to disregard the extra surcharges to compete.

BTW.. New York residents are taxed by Heritage, Comiclink, and ComicConnect. Triple whammy. :makepoint: :shrug:

From my invoice:

Well.

To be fair, the BP is part of the bid, and is factored in by most (if not all.)

Just be glad you don't live in CA. 9.75% Sales Tax in Los Angeles county.