• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered the first Sgt. Rock appearance?

79 posts in this topic

There is a Sgt Rock h/c Archive that reprints GI Combat 68 (Kubert) and several issues after Our Army at War 81, 82, 83. Retail $49.95 US. :blush:

But the controversial trio is included...right? OAAW 81,82 & 83

There is a Sgt Rock h/c Archive that reprints GI Combat 68 (Kubert) and several issues after Our Army at War 81, 82, 83. Retail $49.95 US. :blush:

But the controversial trio is included...right? OAAW 81,82 & 83

From memory, they are. In fact, I believe it was GIC 68, OAAW 81, 82, 83 in that order.

I can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. Well, the obvious answer to which issue is the first appearance of Sgt. Rock is easy. It's OAAW #82. I will pay more money for an 83, though. :whistle:

Andy

That's why more of us need to read these stories. You say it's 82..some say it's 81. the consensus seems to be 83. I wish I could input with the knowledge of having read them for myself. So..I'll try and score a copy.

Well, what I have to say has really been said by many already.

GIC 68 (The Rock)

OAAW 81 (The Rock of Easy-Sgt. Rocky)

OAAW 82 (a Sgt. Rock in 6 panels that doesn't look or talk like the Sgt. Rock that we know) OAAW 83 (Kubert/Kanigher's Sgt. Rock begins that is the same Sgt. Rock that's in Sgt. Rock #422)

#82 is the first appearance of Sgt. Rock and a very undervalued book, IMHO. However, #83 is more valuable and more important to nearly every DC war collector out there, and rightfully so.

Andy

Ahem. Does the debate end with me? :shrug:

Andy

What you've outlined is one of the views discussed in more detail in the previous thread in General Forum. linky

I don't know that we raised any issues in this thread that weren't already covered so that's probably why the discussion halted.

yeah. this is what it is for now. All the data has been put out there, the copyright holders have spoken, the creators have voiced an opinion, and collectors are speaking with their wallets day after day. When all the votes are in, we will see what's what. But there's just no consensus at this time.... and no new information to alter peoples conclusions.

yeah. this is what it is for now. All the data has been put out there, the copyright holders have spoken, the creators have voiced an opinion, and collectors are speaking with their wallets day after day. When all the votes are in, we will see what's what. But there's just no consensus at this time.... and no new information to alter peoples conclusions.

Sounds like we're ready for a flame war! :banana:

I'd like to add to the confusion by suggesting that GIC 68 and OAAW 83 are both the first appearance - in a different manner.

I should preface this by saying that - at least early on - Sgt Rock as a character is defined by the Kanigher/Kubert team. Who Sgt Rock is/was and subsequently became was absolutely dependent on those two working on him. Eventually, he became established enough to where he could be identified outside of their teamwork. But at the beginning, without those two, he would simply be another Sgt in another war story.

Therefore, the character in OAAW 81/82 - done by Haney & Andru/Esposito - is not Sgt Rock as the character would turn out to be.

What I'd suggest is that Kanigher, and to a lesser extent Kubert, had a concept/character in mind and was trying to establish him in a series of unconnected stories. Eventually, he wrote GIC 68 and after it was finished realized that was the product he wanted. At that point he was able to take that character and frame the "world" in which he would exist, and then started him in OAAW 83 with continuity.

Therefore, GIC 68 is the "first" appearance of this package that Kanigher had in mind, and OAAW 83 is the finished concept ready to go onto continuity.

All speculation, but I don't think it's too out of the question.

But that leaves an unanswered question that I have yet to see anyone address. What the heck were Haney & A/E doing working on the character? Did the DC brass say they wanted a continuing character and have H/A/E get the ball rolling while K/K developed it? Was that something H/A/E were doing independently and K/K realized it was a good place to start?

I'd like to add to the confusion by suggesting that GIC 68 and OAAW 83 are both the first appearance - in a different manner.

I should preface this by saying that - at least early on - Sgt Rock as a character is defined by the Kanigher/Kubert team. Who Sgt Rock is/was and subsequently became was absolutely dependent on those two working on him. Eventually, he became established enough to where he could be identified outside of their teamwork. But at the beginning, without those two, he would simply be another Sgt in another war story.

Therefore, the character in OAAW 81/82 - done by Haney & Andru/Esposito - is not Sgt Rock as the character would turn out to be.

What I'd suggest is that Kanigher, and to a lesser extent Kubert, had a concept/character in mind and was trying to establish him in a series of unconnected stories. Eventually, he wrote GIC 68 and after it was finished realized that was the product he wanted. At that point he was able to take that character and frame the "world" in which he would exist, and then started him in OAAW 83 with continuity.

Therefore, GIC 68 is the "first" appearance of this package that Kanigher had in mind, and OAAW 83 is the finished concept ready to go onto continuity.

All speculation, but I don't think it's too out of the question.

But that leaves an unanswered question that I have yet to see anyone address. What the heck were Haney & A/E doing working on the character? Did the DC brass say they wanted a continuing character and have H/A/E get the ball rolling while K/K developed it? Was that something H/A/E were doing independently and K/K realized it was a good place to start?

Who asked you :baiting:

Good comments to consider and it fits with the essay in the Big 5 Guide that describes an evolution going back even to GIC 56 "DI and the Sand Fleas" (though that's definitely a lesser pre-cursor than GIC 68).

try and find out what assignments Kubert worked on between 68 and 83 and you may have the answer. W/o looking up the dates, wasnt 68 produced a month or two before 81? If so Kanigher may have indeed gotten 68 to be a sort of worked out prototype of a Sgt they wanted to keep using, but then Kubert may have taken on other assignments, leaving Kanigher alone to push the idea a bit further with 81 and 82.

But since 81 and 82 didnt really plow much new ground, once K and K began plotting together again on 83, they may together have gone all the way with Sgt Rock!

well, I could have phrased that better I guess..

and if Kubert had drawn stories in 81 and 82 I may be all wet.

dammn. did it again.

Well, the first problem is that the Easy Co. stories in #81 and #82 were written by Bob Haney, not Kanigher.

And Kubert did indeed draw a different story in #81, another Easy Co. story written by Bob Haney (but without The Rock or Sgt. Rocky).

I'm of the belief that editor Kanigher intended to kick off a recurring Easy Co. series in #81, but came to realize that a strong central character was needed, and so he wove together some of what Haney did in #81 and #82 with what he (Kanigher) did with Kubert in earlier prototype stories to settle on the Sgt. Rock of Easy Company series with #83.

Well, the first problem is that the Easy Co. stories in #81 and #82 were written by Bob Haney, not Kanigher.

And Kubert did indeed draw a different story in #81, another Easy Co. story written by Bob Haney (but without The Rock or Sgt. Rocky).

I'm of the belief that editor Kanigher intended to kick off a recurring Easy Co. series in #81, but came to realize that a strong central character was needed, and so he wove together some of what Haney did in #81 and #82 with what he (Kanigher) did with Kubert in earlier prototype stories to settle on the Sgt. Rock of Easy Company series with #83.

(shrug):pullhair:

Having read the comics in the Showcase volume 1 with an eye towards this, I think GI Combat 68 & OAAW 83 have more claim than either 81 or 82. And the only one I own is # 82.

Part of it is the Kubert art, and part is the "feel" of the story, that OAAW 81-82 both miss. I will own GI Combat 68 and OAAW 83 long before I pay big money for OAAW # 81.