• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is considered the first Sgt. Rock appearance?

79 posts in this topic

Actually...none of these answers are correct...first Sgt. Rock appearance was on Joe Kubert's drawing board :baiting: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:)

thanks everyone for the info. Should be a interesting hunt for them.

All kidding aside....OAAW is flled with Easy Company stories predating OAAW 81 AND 83, of all the characters who achieved lasting fame, Sgt. Rock's first appearance is probably the most difficult to pin down...a true evolution.GOD BLESS...

Well....right now Overstreet designates OAAW 83 as the first, but GIC 68 and OAAW 81 have also been considered Rock's first app in the past.

Who knows which one will it will be 10 years from now. I'm personally hoping it stays OAAW 83.

Actually...none of these answers are correct...first Sgt. Rock appearance was on Joe Kubert's drawing board :baiting: GOD BLESS...

:)

thanks everyone for the info. Should be a interesting hunt for them.

In addition to that thread, I highly recommend Chris Pedrin's guide to the Big 5 as it has a longer article on the topic. Then there is always looking at the actual stories that are part of the evolution so that you can make up your own mind.

The character who appears in "The Rock of Easy Co.!" in OAAW #81 is named Sgt. Rocky, not Sgt. Rock.

Yep. And the character who appears in Amazing Spider-Man #1 is named Peter Palmer. These things happen.

The character who appears in "The Rock of Easy Co.!" in OAAW #81 is named Sgt. Rocky, not Sgt. Rock.

Yep. And the character who appears in Amazing Spider-Man #1 is named Peter Palmer. These things happen.

Not a really good analogy. The better analogy would be if the character in Amazing Fantasy #15 were named Spidery-Man. :insane:

Wasn't the character in Little Dot #1 originally called Moderately Wealthy Rich?

Not a really good analogy. The better analogy would be if the character in Amazing Fantasy #15 were named Spidery-Man. :insane:

But if we assume GI Combat 68=AF 15, then we have OAAW 81=ASM 1, which then leaves me with...

...a headache. Just messin' around. I admit I have no idea which is the true first appearance. The only candidates I have are OAAW 81 and 82. However, the DC war fans I know, the ones who really know this stuff, seem to agree on OAAW 83 as the final product, and I don't know enough to argue with them.

True, but I thought that happened in AF #15, not ASM #1. I don't have either book in front of me at the moment but I think I recall one panel at the end where he is called Peter Palmer. If it only happened once, that suggests to me that it was a typo that slipped past proofreading.

The Sgt. in OAAW #81 is called Sgt. Rocky throughout the story, not just in one panel. That could mean he was supposed to be called Sgt. Rocky but it could also mean that he was supposed to be Sgt. Rock and the writer (Bob Haney, I think?) mis-spelled it throughout the -script.

In any case, when I bought OAAW #81 years ago expecting the 1st Sgt. Rock, it just didn't seem like the first Sgt. Rock. The story in OAAW #83 really looks like the beginning of a new series of tales featuring Sgt. Rock. That said, I'll have to pull my copies out and read them again.

And there's a military guy in OAAW #1 with the exact same uniform as Rock and he's a sergeant. hm