• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,065 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2023 at 7:31 PM, Ameri said:

I picked up this interesting Reader’s Digest knockoff cover-dated September 1939 published by Martin Goodman, one month ahead of Marvel Comics #1. The phrase “Timely Topics Condensed” is used throughout the publication.    

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939b.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939c.jpg

After seeing your post, I decided to grab a copy of Popular Digest just to read/have - no other reason.  Mine is a copy from June 1937, so it was pre-Timely takeover.  It's always neat to read articles from "them days".  There was an article in it with the title "Life Begins at 40" that made me chuckle.  I really need to check out some of the other articles.  It really seems like a straight rip-off of Readers Digest issues of the time in terms of format.

On 10/19/2023 at 5:49 PM, Telegan said:

After seeing your post, I decided to grab a copy of Popular Digest just to read/have - no other reason.  Mine is a copy from June 1937, so it was pre-Timely takeover.  It's always neat to read articles from "them days".  There was an article in it with the title "Life Begins at 40" that made me chuckle.  I really need to check out some of the other articles.  It really seems like a straight rip-off of Readers Digest issues of the time in terms of format.

Here's the controversial material in the '39 Popular Digest. Abortions, Ponzi schemes, anti-Semitism.

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939d.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939e.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939f.jpg

PULP (Goodman) Popular Digest Sept 1939g.jpg

Edited by Ameri