• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,078 posts in this topic

Yes.....that's the copy of WW #13 that I was talking about. :cloud9:

Managed to pick up the book for what amounted to something like $1,150 in cash and trade.

I was lucky enough to pay a ton more for it a couple of years ago. Happy to do it!

From what I heard, at least you was also lucky enough to pay a ton less than the buyer who picked it up from the Greg Manning auction for $5,750 back in 2000. :o

As for the Allentown MM #10, unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me), I don't think you'll be able to acquire this copy in the near future. lol:baiting:

I have tons of patience. So please keep me in mind! I would love to see it some day. I just think that cover is the bomb!

I actually attempted to make a scan of this book a few months ago when AdamStrange was asking me to scan it. I either must have the worst scanner in the world or don't know what I am doing since the scan just looked like krap. Actually, it's probably a lot of both. lol

:pullhair: We were so close!

How about a digital camera? Can you take a picture? :wishluck:

Rick,

I was shocked to see your Batman's on the upcoming CLINK. I plan to try a snag a few that you outbid me on. There are two that I am especially interested in :devil:

Greg

yep, the sacrifices one must make...let me guess, Batman 18 is one of them?

that is one of my favorites

rick

No offense but why would you sell a full run of Batman's? A set like that all to yourself would be a dream come true. (shrug)

no offense taken...

I had, in the past, already completed a batman 1-100 run, so this was my second time doing it (first time was pre cgc)...I love the challenge, but at some point, in order for me to continue to purchase books that I have never owned before (timely's, centaurs), I have to sell books I have in order to finance new purchases (i.e. my comic budget is blown, the well is empty, etc, etc)

trust me, I went back and forth, back and forth about selling vs. keeping...one alternative was to hold off new purchases for a while and keep the bat set...but, folks that know me, know I am an "aggressive" buyer...and I would have kept on purchasing, but with debt instead of equity (a road I will not travel down)...and, I do have a near complete Detective run from 27 to 103, mostly books that I had never owned, so I am not "without" my Batman fix!

thanks

rick

No offense but why would you sell a full run of Batman's? A set like that all to yourself would be a dream come true. (shrug)

In Rick's defense, it is a matter of economics and avarice. I once had a run of Batman 1 - 500. I really enjoyed putting the run together and Batman is clearly my favorite. But, a few years after it was done, the desire to conquer more runs, issues, keys, etc was overwheling. So, I sold them all to Rob Hughes. It was a tough decision. But, like Rick I am a victim of comic avarice and made the choice. I miss them sometimes even know, and it has been 10 years since I sold them.

I find it interesting that I can't even begin to conceive of the idea of putting that run together again. I guess that itch is truly scratched.

Like Rick, I try to keep my comic money separate from my "real" money. But, unlike Rick, it doesn't always work that way for me (since he has wealth beyond the dreams of avarice), but I do try.

Rick,

The 18 is very nice, and one of the issues I want to upgrade in my run, but there are a few others I really want. Just for the record, I finished my run 5 years ago almost to the day, but mine will never go on the block as I am content with slowly picking up other stuff (i.e. Detectives) plus some "cool" cover stuff, but that said I can certainly understand Rick's decision. Given the high prices we see today on books it is getting very difficult to afford too much stuff unless your are independently wealthy. My guess is that Rick will do quite well with the Batman's in this auction and I expect to see him showing off some sweet Timely's in the very near future.

Greg

In Rick's defense, it is a matter of economics and avarice. I once had a run of Batman 1 - 500. I really enjoyed putting the run together and Batman is clearly my favorite. But, a few years after it was done, the desire to conquer more runs, issues, keys, etc was overwheling. So, I sold them all to Rob Hughes. It was a tough decision. But, like Rick I am a victim of comic avarice and made the choice. I miss them sometimes even know, and it has been 10 years since I sold them.

I find it interesting that I can't even begin to conceive of the idea of putting that run together again. I guess that itch is truly scratched.

Like Rick, I try to keep my comic money separate from my "real" money. But, unlike Rick, it doesn't always work that way for me (since he has wealth beyond the dreams of avarice), but I do try.

first part is true, last part is funny :)

gator

Rick,

The 18 is very nice, and one of the issues I want to upgrade in my run, but there are a few others I really want. Just for the record, I finished my run 5 years ago almost to the day, but mine will never go on the block as I am content with slowly picking up other stuff (i.e. Detectives) plus some "cool" cover stuff, but that said I can certainly understand Rick's decision. Given the high prices we see today on books it is getting very difficult to afford too much stuff unless your are independently wealthy. My guess is that Rick will do quite well with the Batman's in this auction and I expect to see him showing off some sweet Timely's in the very near future.

Greg

admittedly, I have tried to focus a little ... I will revisit batman again, but after I have climbed other mountains... I wish I had greg's patience, and I will hopefully hold onto the tec run indefinitely, but one can never tell what the future holds!

good luck to any that bid, would love to see the books stay with boardies, but ultimately, I am hoping to maximize return so that I may expand other areas!

rick

It will be interesting to see how your Batman run gets absorbed into the collecting world. In time all good collections get pushed back into the mix.

You need to try for something tough now, like a MINT run of Phantom Stranger.....or Rex the Wonder Dog.

You need to try for something tough now, like a MINT run of Phantom Stranger.....or Rex the Wonder Dog.

Good Luck with those!

Yes.....that's the copy of WW #13 that I was talking about. :cloud9:

Managed to pick up the book for what amounted to something like $1,150 in cash and trade.

I was lucky enough to pay a ton more for it a couple of years ago. Happy to do it!

From what I heard, at least you was also lucky enough to pay a ton less than the buyer who picked it up from the Greg Manning auction for $5,750 back in 2000. :o

As for the Allentown MM #10, unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me), I don't think you'll be able to acquire this copy in the near future. lol:baiting:

I have tons of patience. So please keep me in mind! I would love to see it some day. I just think that cover is the bomb!

I actually attempted to make a scan of this book a few months ago when AdamStrange was asking me to scan it. I either must have the worst scanner in the world or don't know what I am doing since the scan just looked like krap. Actually, it's probably a lot of both. lol

:pullhair: We were so close!

How about a digital camera? Can you take a picture? :wishluck:

42809-mysmen10.jpg.804e7a0dfe3cbea65a0fe31b34b1fdb3.jpg

What's the deal with the #20? It looks much nicer than 7.0.

and what's the deal with the Batman 11? it looks invisible.

I heard that a Tiger swooped in and forced poor Gator to relinquish it through extremely heavy-handed tactics. Ruthless !

no offense taken...

I had, in the past, already completed a batman 1-100 run, so this was my second time doing it (first time was pre cgc)...I love the challenge, but at some point, in order for me to continue to purchase books that I have never owned before (timely's, centaurs), I have to sell books I have in order to finance new purchases (i.e. my comic budget is blown, the well is empty, etc, etc)

trust me, I went back and forth, back and forth about selling vs. keeping...one alternative was to hold off new purchases for a while and keep the bat set...but, folks that know me, know I am an "aggressive" buyer...and I would have kept on purchasing, but with debt instead of equity (a road I will not travel down)...and, I do have a near complete Detective run from 27 to 103, mostly books that I had never owned, so I am not "without" my Batman fix!

thanks

rick

Thanks for the useful post (thumbs u (thumbs u I want your Batman #47!

Edited by CarolinaComix

Thanks for the useful post (thumbs u (thumbs u

no offense taken...

thanks

rick

Thanks for the useful post (thumbs u (thumbs u I want your Batman #47!

hello all

I know cgc was tougher on my 47 for some non visible flaws, but that is a VF looking unrestored book if I ever owned one...techincally, 7.0 is a fair grade, but visually, it is too tough...I expect that one to go quite high (at least I hope!)

rick