• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,082 posts in this topic

Did Simon do any of the Mystic covers?

Yes, he had a hand in the 7. Take a look at some of the Champs done under the name 'Jon Henri'. I had Joe do this one and Champion 8. They were chosen because they were produced by him, Kirby and him to a greater or lessor extent.....

No matter---the Mystic and Champion are special because he did them at my request.

the Cap and Blue Beetle were obtained on the 'secondary' market.

Eye popping recreations. Hmmm....Joe Simon doing Joe Simon....

Jon

72215.jpg.aa29bde84bf99e3f8967842ccf68caca.jpg

72216.jpg.4b658d5fd33c85cd79c53b983842f450.jpg

72217.jpg.0aed6e226814a58054f8a3e022fbd0d1.jpg

Those are great. Are they framed?

Yup. Most of my art is framed and hung. (yes little light, UV glass etc.) Art to be appreciated has to be seen. These recreations and the others I have are great 'eye candy'.

jon

(thumbs u

A question for the Timley fans out there in reference to pricing....

I have noticed that most of the timely's I see for sale are listed for above guide. Is this normal and has this always been the case? There's no doubt about the popularity and demand for the books......just wanted to get a feel for FMV for these books as far as how they compare to established book prices. Thanks

I have noticed that most of the timely's I see for sale are listed for above guide. Is this normal and has this always been the case? There's no doubt about the popularity and demand for the books......just wanted to get a feel for FMV for these books as far as how they compare to established book prices. Thanks

It has been that way since at least the early 90's. I remember Rob Hughes running a full page ad in the CBG with a large collection of Timely's. His prices were, for the time, shocking. We scoffed. He sold every one of them.

It has been that way since at least the early 90's. I remember Rob Hughes running a full page ad in the CBG with a large collection of Timely's. His prices were, for the time, shocking. We scoffed. He sold every one of them.

pretty sure i have a couple of them; wait 'til you see my shocking prices. if they don't make you scoff, they may at least make you coff.

So if the books are popular...which is a given then why aren't the actual prices being factored into the price guides more accurately? Is this just a case of the prices out pacing the price guides on a yearly basis? I have seen that in other areas of the collectibles market and frankly I pay what I feel a book is worth...I have never been a slave to guide values and I have never been afriad to pay multiples of guide to get the right collectible....just wondering why the guides are off in general. Thanks

So if the books are popular...which is a given then why aren't the actual prices being factored into the price guides more accurately? Is this just a case of the prices out pacing the price guides on a yearly basis? I have seen that in other areas of the collectibles market and frankly I pay what I feel a book is worth...I have never been a slave to guide values and I have never been afriad to pay multiples of guide to get the right collectible....just wondering why the guides are off in general. Thanks

There have been significant adjustments to Timely pricing in the guide in many cases. But the guide typically takes a measured approach to raising prices. I would think more corrections would be on the way

Thanks for all the info....I just bought one from a boardmember that looks pretty nice. I have always love the look of the Marvel mystery but never stepped up to the plate because of the cost. Now that I am single again and I only have to answer to me.....I decided not to wait any longer. I don't want to post the book yet becuase the check is literally in the mail so to be fair to the seller I will wait until the book is on the way to me. This will also be my first timely book....I usually go after Nedors etc

Thanks for all the info....I just bought one from a boardmember that looks pretty nice. I have always love the look of the Marvel mystery but never stepped up to the plate because of the cost. Now that I am single again and I only have to answer to me.....I decided not to wait any longer. I don't want to post the book yet becuase the check is literally in the mail so to be fair to the seller I will wait until the book is on the way to me. This will also be my first timely book....I usually go after Nedors etc

welcome to the wonderful world of timelys. it has been a blast for me for 15 years now, and my love for 'em is unflagging.

tho' i have branched out just a tad.

There have been significant adjustments to Timely pricing in the guide in many cases. But the guide typically takes a measured approach to raising prices. I would think more corrections would be on the way

Bob uses a moving average -- though the timeframe and weighting are not disclosed. For arguments sake it may look something like:

Marvel Mystery #X sells for an average of $80 in 2006, $100 in 2007 and $120 in 2008. The 2009 might show a value of $100. If the trend continued then even when the Guide comes out in April it may further be disconnected from the current market as it may be selling for $130. By the end of the year it may sell for $140 and so by the time the 2010 Guide comes out the new value is $120 which, once again, is low.

Just as the weighted value smoothes out the highs and prevents dramatic increases it also smooths out the lows preventing dramatic decreases. This gives the comics market an image of stability since only Overstreet can see that volatility occurring (they are his data and his algorithms). To get a more timely sense of trends you would want to do your own research and take advantage of GPA which provides raw data and some basic tools.

The real algorithms behind the price guide are much more complex as Overstreet is providing lots of price estimates based on very limited sets of data. For example, there might have only been a few sales reported of Marvel Mystery #X, one a raw Poor, another a CGC 5.0 and a third raw f/vf. So even determining the values of Marvel Mystery #X in Good, Fine, Very Fine and NM- are themselves extrapolations upon which other extrapolations depend as there will even be particular issues for which no copies are sold.

One of today's arrivals--It's beat, but an issue I've never read before :)

He He...he said beat...and it almost looks like torch is well...nevermind.

what, you come out of months of hiding, and this is the post we get :sumo:

Bob uses a moving average -- though the timeframe and weighting are not disclosed. For arguments sake it may look something like:

Marvel Mystery #X sells for an average of $80 in 2006, $100 in 2007 and $120 in 2008. The 2009 might show a value of $100. If the trend continued then even when the Guide comes out in April it may further be disconnected from the current market as it may be selling for $130. By the end of the year it may sell for $140 and so by the time the 2010 Guide comes out the new value is $120 which, once again, is low.

Just as the weighted value smoothes out the highs and prevents dramatic increases it also smooths out the lows preventing dramatic decreases. This gives the comics market an image of stability since only Overstreet can see that volatility occurring (they are his data and his algorithms). To get a more timely sense of trends you would want to do your own research and take advantage of GPA which provides raw data and some basic tools.

The real algorithms behind the price guide are much more complex as Overstreet is providing lots of price estimates based on very limited sets of data. For example, there might have only been a few sales reported of Marvel Mystery #X, one a raw Poor, another a CGC 5.0 and a third raw f/vf. So even determining the values of Marvel Mystery #X in Good, Fine, Very Fine and NM- are themselves extrapolations upon which other extrapolations depend as there will even be particular issues for which no copies are sold.

Certainly makes sense and seems like it would work for the average collector who finds a box of comics in the attic. I assume that's a big part of the target audience for Overstreet.....I really prefer to use it to find out what issues I am interested in going after, 1st appearences, books that may be scarce to rare etc. As a toned coin collector there are no price guides so I have adapted my style of buying to getting very in tune with the market itself. GPA sounds like a great idea but I prefer to look at Comic Link, Ebay, Heritage etc. For the truley rare books this may not be as effective but then again....my budget doesn't allow me to go after many 4 figure books let alone Marvel Comics #1 :grin: