• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,079 posts in this topic

Thought I'd share my FIRST Timely book I just added to my collection. Also my first Schomburg cover. cloud9.gif I'm mostly a DC collector, but have a short list of Timely's on my want list. Human Torch #8 is one of them. I probably overpaid a little, and it is low grade, but I don't see this issue come up for sale too often so I jumped on it.

RAD48127200638_183459.jpg

Nice eye-appeal for a 2.5.893applaud-thumb.gif A raw copy with a big chunk out of the cover recently sold on ebay for $480 893whatthe.gif. On the other hand I couldn't sell a raw VG with a detached centerfold for $675 ( I guess I'll keep it), so it's tough to guage what the book's FMV is - though with many Timely books, a low grade copy will often sell for a higher percentage over guide than a mid-grade copy, as there seems to be a bigger demand for affordable copies than there are for nicer ones, especially if low grade copies are over $400.

The cover is in great shape for a low grade book. I know it has slightly brittle pages but its not leaving the slabb any time soon and as this is one of my al-time grails I just couldn't resist. I guess what finally made me close this deal was that my low grade water damaged copy that I sold last year for $500 was relisted recently and BIN'D for $750.

MM4LG.jpg

tt_27.jpg

Not sure why, but I really like this cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Thought I'd share my FIRST Timely book I just added to my collection. Also my first Schomburg cover. cloud9.gif I'm mostly a DC collector, but have a short list of Timely's on my want list. Human Torch #8 is one of them. I probably overpaid a little, and it is low grade, but I don't see this issue come up for sale too often so I jumped on it.

RAD48127200638_183459.jpg

There's a thread in the Silver Age forum right now about the PC copy of Strange Tales #107, and the classic Subby/Torch cover on that book. The #107 looks pathetically boring compared to your Human Torch #8. This might be my favorite Timely cover. I just love the composition. For a first Timely purchase, I can't imagine you could have done any better.

Must be the year of the grails for me as I can't believe what has come online the past 6 months. Stuff you would never see for years is being listed every second week. cloud9.gif

HumanTorch12CGC5.jpg

Surfer, we've talked about this slab-chewing problem of yours. Just stop it!

Very cool book, BTW. thumbsup2.gif

Silver - Congrats on the HT #12 - sweeeet copy! MUCH nicer than the one you didn't get a couple months back. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah it sure worked out nicely. thumbsup2.gif

Hold that thought, I guess I'm on the "waitlist" now. Christo_pull_hair.gif I guess hitting the BIN is always an adventure. Why did I know that this was going to happen. frustrated.gif

Silver - Congrats on the HT #12 - sweeeet copy! MUCH nicer than the one you didn't get a couple months back. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah it sure worked out nicely. thumbsup2.gif

Hold that thought, I guess I'm on the "waitlist" now. Christo_pull_hair.gif I guess hitting the BIN is always an adventure. Why did I know that this was going to happen. frustrated.gif

Seller's renegging on the deal maybe? If you're on a "waitlist" for another CGC 5.5 Human Torch #12, you might be waiting a little while (there's only one in the Census). Who's the seller?