• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
29 29

23,175 posts in this topic

$78k Final hammer on the MMC.

Absolutely Love the book....I'm certainly on the Roy Bandwagon when it comes to how important it is to me as a Timely/Marvel guy. :cloud9:

But realistically, in this economy, I have a hard time seeing two big guns willing to part with more then $80k for it. Its an awesome book, but I think it has a ceiling just shy of six figures. If this was back in 2006, I think it would've cleared $130k with all that liquidity floating around. in 2009, a little more then half that.

Absolutely Love the book....I'm certainly on the Roy Bandwagon when it comes to how important it is to me as a Timely/Marvel guy. :cloud9:

But realistically, in this economy, I have a hard time seeing two big guns willing to part with more then $80k for it. Its an awesome book, but I think it has a ceiling just shy of six figures. If this was back in 2006, I think it would've cleared $130k with all that liquidity floating around. in 2009, a little more then half that.

Jive no way this sells for only $78K. Heck Rick will be bidding that much on the first day!

The highest graded copy of a Timely key suggests a higher FMV even in this economy....unfortunately, it must compete for $$$ with the other Chicorel Timelys and another Action #1 from CC.

I predict $128k (2.2x high OPG and 4x hammer for last year's CGC 5.0) :sumo:

Afterwards, we'll all agree that it's a unbelievable bargain at that price--- if only we had the money. :pullhair:

GE

The highest graded copy of a Timely key suggests a higher FMV even in this economy....unfortunately, it must compete for $$$ with the other Chicorel Timelys and another Action #1 from CC.

I predict $128k (2.2x high OPG and 4x hammer for last year's CGC 5.0) :sumo:

Afterwards, we'll all agree that it's a unbelievable bargain at that price--- if only we had the money. :pullhair:

GE

you mean 6x hammer for my soon to be former 5.0 right :baiting:

lower grade and restored MMC sell for such higher premiums because they are "realatively" cheap in the guide, due to lack of them trading hands too often...

virtually "any" mmc for under $10K is a nice buy....$20K and up, you want a low/mid range unrestored copy or a super high grade slight rest copy...$50K up mid to high grade, and top census should break 100K, but there are a lot of variables (such as the chicago 9) that do come into play

will be fun to watch

Jive no way this sells for only $78K. Heck Rick will be bidding that much on the first day!

Well, Rick is one of the few to have some "skin in the game" so I'll defer to his input of course. But honestly, I just don't see it. The 5.0 sale last year seems like an aberration compared to the rest of the sales on GPA, and we all know that August 2008 was still before the market meltdown that really accelerated one month later.

Its an AMAZING book, but it isn't a "key" in the traditional sense, it isn't from a pedigree collection, and its being offered at a time where the market is absolutely flooded with quality material. You need an investor (or two) to take this book past the six figure mark in my opinion, and to be honest, there are just a lot more compelling things to sink your money into if you have $100,000 to blow then this book.

For the record, I hope I am wrong and the price ends up north of $150k. I'll be happy to eat my words. But if Marvel 1s seem to be fairing only so-so in the current marketplace, and that is unquestionably the Timely key to have, can we really expect this book to smash through all previous records, regardless of grade? (shrug)

Well, Rick is one of the few to have some "skin in the game" so I'll defer to his input of course. But honestly, I just don't see it. The 5.0 sale last year seems like an aberration compared to the rest of the sales on GPA, and we all know that August 2008 was still before the market meltdown that really accelerated one month later.

Its an AMAZING book, but it isn't a "key" in the traditional sense, it isn't from a pedigree collection, and its being offered at a time where the market is absolutely flooded with quality material. You need an investor (or two) to take this book past the six figure mark in my opinion, and to be honest, there are just a lot more compelling things to sink your money into if you have $100,000 to blow then this book.

For the record, I hope I am wrong and the price ends up north of $150k. I'll be happy to eat my words. But if Marvel 1s seem to be fairing only so-so in the current marketplace, and that is unquestionably the Timely key to have, can we really expect this book to smash through all previous records, regardless of grade? (shrug)

lol I thought we were talking about Marvel 9

We are talking about MM 9 but comparing it to prices of recent Marvel 1 sales.

We are talking about MM 9 but comparing it to prices of recent Marvel 1 sales.

ok, I must have missed a memo somewhere lol

Metro sold a raw 6.5ish copy for something like $35,000 last year, I don't think Rick's copy is an aberration as GPA doesn't take into account what 3 or 4 copies have sold for in the last year. Heck my back cover missing, restored copy sold for $4,100 and Roy's old 1.8 was listed for around $10K. Nor sure what Roy sold his for but I'm sure it wasn't too far off asking.

Pete I responded to this in the Chicorel thread.

And the effort apparently wore you out. :baiting:

Metro sold a raw 6.5ish copy for something like $35,000 last year, I don't think Rick's copy is an aberration as GPA doesn't take into account what 3 or 4 copies have sold for in the last year. Heck my back cover missing, restored copy sold for $4,100 and Roy's old 1.8 was listed for around $10K. Nor sure what Roy sold his for but I'm sure it wasn't too far off asking.

Like I said, I'd love to see the $150k barrier be broken by this book. As a Marvel/Timely guy, it would totally rock. I'm just not "on board" with the rest of you on the potential of that happening. Of course, I don't think many pegged the Action # 7 8.0 from last year as a $140k+ book either, so I'm more then willing to learn from whatever the market has to say.

Like I said, I'd love to see the $150k barrier be broken by this book. As a Marvel/Timely guy, it would totally rock. I'm just not "on board" with the rest of you on the potential of that happening. Of course, I don't think many pegged the Action # 7 8.0 from last year as a $140k+ book either, so I'm more then willing to learn from whatever the market has to say.

I think the real diff between the action 7 and this book is that there had been NO nice high grade unrestored action 7 available in the market for years...and 2 folks really wanted it...drove the price right up

as bedrock mentioned, if a collector wanted a really nice (and pedigreed) high grade copy of MMC 9, there has been one available (not super publicly, but enough of the "right" folks knew about it)...

now, will this book exceed 6 figures?...smart money is "yes"...but, will it garner the same bidding trend as the action 7 did? only time will tell