• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,063 posts in this topic

this one just joined my collection

Great book. I've always wondered about that cover, though. There's Angel apparently dealing with one bomber while the rest of the bomber fleet is blowing the city to smithereens. :D

(thumbs u

Even though the swastika was disguised (probably intentionally), the symbolism is clear. This is obviously a WWII cover, maybe the first for a U.S. comic book.

The contents triangle (right bottom) covers up the fact that he's jumping off the corner of a building to hang onto the plane's undercarriage. Alas, the Angel didn't have the gift of super powers like his costumed brethren, so his self-sacrifice in challenging the bomber blitzkrieg seems all the more heroic in light of his apparent impending doom. hm

BTW, this cover has been attributed to "Claire Moe" (either a pseudonym or misattribution). The artist was Charles J. Mazoujian.

Great book. I've always wondered about that cover, though. There's Angel apparently dealing with one bomber while the rest of the bomber fleet is blowing the city to smithereens. :D

(thumbs u

Even though the swastika was disguised (probably intentionally), the symbolism is clear. This is obviously a WWII cover, maybe the first for a U.S. comic book.

The contents triangle (right bottom) covers up the fact that he's jumping off the corner of a building to hang onto the plane's undercarriage. Alas, the Angel didn't have the gift of super powers like his costumed brethren, so his self-sacrifice in challenging the bomber blitzkrieg seems all the more heroic in light of his apparent impending doom. hm

BTW, this cover has been attributed to "Claire Moe" (either a pseudonym or misattribution). The artist was Charles J. Mazoujian.

Misattribution. There was a Claire Moe that worked for Centaur. sacentaur has books from her collection.

(thumbs u

Nah, the Angel wasn't trying to stop the bombing! He planned on riding the landing gear back to their base where all of the personel would die horribly due to fates of their own making! :applause:

(thumbs u

Misattribution. There was a Claire Moe that worked for Centaur. sacentaur has books from her collection.

Right - Claire S. Moe (CSM) is not the cover artist for MM 2, it's Charles J. Mazoujian (CJM). Mazoujian also did the cover for Target 3 (Funnies Inc.).

Moe is probably best known for the 'Circus and Sue' (Funny Pages) feature at Centaur, but she did other filler strips as well (including for Fox).

When Moe died (circa '83), her daughter sold the artist's collection to J&S Comics. They were then listed in CBG. I was the first caller on the ad and scooped up a sample group.

When I called back to purchase more, I was informed that they were all sold (to jbcomicbox and a collector named Michael Music).

Being the Timely thread, here is a representative sample book (with a Bill Everett cover):

100_0847.jpg

(thumbs u

Right - Claire S. Moe (CSM) is not the cover artist for MM 2, it's Charles J. Mazoujian (CJM). Mazoujian also did the cover for Target 3 (Funnies Inc.).

Moe is probably best known for the 'Circus and Sue' (Funny Pages) feature at Centaur, but she did other filler strips as well (including for Fox).

When Moe died (circa '83), her daughter sold the artist's collection to J&S Comics. They were then listed in CBG. I was the first caller on the ad and scooped up a sample group.

When I called back to purchase more, I was informed that they were all sold (to jbcomicbox and a collector named Michael Music).

Being the Timely thread, here is a representative sample book (with a Bill Everett cover):

100_0847.jpg

:applause: What a special book. That follow up call to J and S had to be disappointing though.

(thumbs u

100_0847.jpg

:applause: What a special book. That follow up call to J and S had to be disappointing though.

Lady Dorma watching :applause:

I feel like there has been a lot of competition for Timely's this year, so it's been awhile since I felt like I got a break on a book.

I know $293 isn't a super amazing deal, but I didn't think I could get this issue under $400.

I was nervous because of the terrible ebay photo and description, but I'm happy with it.

14565003092_a8869de581_o.jpg

turned out to be this:

14585915943_3c8089b478_b.jpg

I feel like there has been a lot of competition for Timely's this year, so it's been awhile since I felt like I got a break on a book.

I know $293 isn't a super amazing deal, but I didn't think I could get this issue under $400.

I was nervous because of the terrible ebay photo and description, but I'm happy with it.

turned out to be this:

That is a pretty 1.8! I would say that getting the tape removed would give it a lot more eye appeal, but other than that it looks like a solid copy! :)

turned out to be this:

congrats! I don't think you can find a better deal on that book