• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,019 posts in this topic

mm14.jpg
That is simply awesomeX3! Once for the pedigree, once for the book itself, and once for the signature. :applause:

Thanks! A little back story on the book...Terry Stroud of The American Comic Book Co. had it for sale at his booth at SDCC in the late '70s. It was priced around $350. I looked at it every day of the show but never pulled the trigger. On Sunday I went by to look at it one last time and Terry asked me if I wanted it. I told him I couldn't afford it, I only had $145 left. He said he would sell it for that. I didn't think I heard him right at first but he took the loot and I got the book. In the early '90s I met Mike Manyak, one of the original purchasers of the San Fransisco Timelys. He started recounting the tale and without prompting he spoke about having one of the Marvel Mystery Comics, he thought it was 14 or 15, signed by Schomburg at convention and how he later sold it to Terry. My book! It was pretty cool to have confirmation that the autograph was authentic after all those years of not knowing.

mm14.jpg
That is simply awesomeX3! Once for the pedigree, once for the book itself, and once for the signature. :applause:

Thanks! A little back story on the book...Terry Stroud of The American Comic Book Co. had it for sale at his booth at SDCC in the late '70s. It was priced around $350. I looked at it every day of the show but never pulled the trigger. On Sunday I went by to look at it one last time and Terry asked me if I wanted it. I told him I couldn't afford it, I only had $145 left. He said he would sell it for that. I didn't think I heard him right at first but he took the loot and I got the book. In the early '90s I met Mike Manyak, one of the original purchasers of the San Fransisco Timelys. He started recounting the tale and without prompting he spoke about having one of the Marvel Mystery Comics, he thought it was 14 or 15, signed by Schomburg at convention and how he later sold it to Terry. My book! It was pretty cool to have confirmation that the autograph was authentic after all those years of not knowing.

that's a neat story Richard. Speaking of Manyak, what a nice guy. I had the chance to speak to him at his booth at a local show a few weeks ago. We spoke for 90 mins and he shared some things about the Reilly collection I wanted to know about. Mike must have acquired this MM14 later as initially there was no MMs in the batch he bought from the couple with the cart at the 1973 easter show in Berkeley.

mm14.jpg

:applause:

My most recent Timely pick ups. In the usual bottom feeder grade.

I gave em some air together for a group shot and they mingled together nicely.

Torch #17 cover art (one of my favorites) is even better in person. Such detail and depth!

16037145351_a3ca30d5da_k.jpg

Edited by Knightsofold

My most recent Timely pick ups. In the usual bottom feeder grade.

I gave em some air together for a group shot and they mingled together nicely.

Torch #17 cover art (one of my favorites) is even better in person. Such detail and depth!

16037145351_a3ca30d5da_k.jpg

I love 'em in all grades. :)