• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

21 years ago, i grabbed my first g.a. book, but it wasn't a very enthusiastic grab. i was a marvel silver collector, and was finishing up my runs. i was becoming fast friends with bedrock, who had put me into plenty want list silver, when i got a call from a dealer in rochester. he had come across a small original owner cap collection, and couldn't muster the dough he needed to get them all [about a dozen books, iirc]. so he called some customers/friends to form a little consortium to get the books. my $500 committment nabbed me the #9.

i didn't really want it, but bedrock had a nice little tos 39 i needed, for a bit more than 5 benjamins, and knowing him to be a timely collector/devotee', i thought he might trade them head-up. he indicated he might be willing to do that, depending on the cap 6 grade---but he also made a prediction: once i held that big fat thing in my hot little hands, and thumbed it up really good, i would not WANT to make such a trade.

so, a week later i held it and thumbed it up. i then went to the guide to see how many caps were in the run. the call i then made to ricky was "how many do you have for sale?"

anyhoo--my next call went to rochester, and i bought the 3, 6 and 10 out of the group. this was essentially the start of my cap run. i've had them raw for all these years [except the 3; slabbed it a couple years ago when it went crazy], but recently put 'em in plastic, just for giggles. they just got back from sarasota; here they be:

ca6.jpg

...cool story, BP :cloud9: .....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12