• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

23,018 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Badger said:

Slowly I turn, step by step, and I'm one step closer to completing USA Comics 6 through 17!

usa_11_CGC_Front.jpg

For those of you to young to get my reference:

The Three Stooges also did a version of that one.  

59 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The Three Stooges also did a version of that one.  

So did Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.  Looking on the Interwebs I see that almost every comedian from a certain age did the bit at least once.  I could swear I remember Bugs Bunny doing it but I cannot find the sequence.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

So did Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.  Looking on the Interwebs I see that almost every comedian from a certain age did the bit at least once.  I could swear I remember Bugs Bunny doing it but I cannot find the sequence.

Yeah, I think it was an old vaudeville routine that apparently nobody had a copyright on or nobody choose to enforce a copyright on it.  

Might be the most famous old-time routine next to A&C's "Who's on First?"  Not to get way, way off topic, but I've often wondered how on earth A&C came up with that routine.  They do a terrific job with it and it's very funny, but it's hard to see what could have gotten whoever wrote it thinking along those lines.

"Who's on First?" is descended from turn-of-the-century burlesque sketches that used plays on words and names. Examples are "The Baker Scene" (the shop is located on Watt Street) and "Who Dyed" (the owner is named "Who"). In the 1930 movie Cracked Nuts, comedians Bert Wheeler and Robert Woolsey examine a map of a mythical kingdom with dialogue like this: "What is next to Which." "What is the name of the town next to Which?" "Yes." In British music halls, comedian Will Hay performed a routine in the early 1930s (and possibly earlier) as a schoolmaster interviewing a schoolboy named Howe who came from Ware but now lives in Wye. By the early 1930s, a "Baseball Routine" had become a standard bit for burlesque comics across the United States. Abbott's wife recalled him performing the routine with another comedian before teaming with Costello.[1]

Bud Abbott stated that it was taken from an older routine called "Who's The Boss?", a performance of which can be heard in an episode of the radio comedy program It Pays to Be Ignorant from the 1940s.

Per wiki...

8 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

What issue contains Captain America meeting the human Torch and Namor for the first time?  Thanks.

Avengers #71?:foryou:

I don't actually remember them meeting in the GA.  Anyone?

Edited by Badger

30 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Heh, well I mean in the GA.  

All Winners late issue?

Well, since Cap was frozen at the end of WW II, before All Winners Squad, Marvel says that Cap was an impersonator. It was yet another impersonator in the 1950s reboot of Cap. So, according to "official" Marvel canon they met in the GA for the first time in Avengers #71.:roflmao:

Of course, that was the last time i heard and the story could have been changed yet again.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Well, since Cap was frozen at the end of WW II, before All Winners Squad, Marvel says that Cap was an impersonator. It was yet another impersonator in the 1950s reboot of Cap. So, according to "official" Marvel canon they met in the GA for the first time in Avengers #71.:roflmao:

Of course, that was the last time i heard and the story could have been changed yet again.

Wow, I did't know that.  I'll look into it.  Prob true, but makes no sense.

Anybody else get nervous when you buy a raw book and it shows up with Microchamber paper in between the covers?  I suspect this was broken out of a 6.5 slab and sold as a 7.5. Still a nice book.

MM_65_Front.jpg

Update: I found it on Heritage.  It was sold in 2015 in this slab. It was then sold again in September of 2017, raw, but listed by Heritage as a 7.5.  At some point, between September and now, the book received a heavy object crease on the top right of the front cover.  The crease goes through the 1st  few pages.  Should press out or at least be mitigated. <sigh>  Do I keep it, keep it and get it pressed, or return it because it is not as described?

MM_65_Front_CGC.jpg

Edited by Badger

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Anybody else get nervous when you buy a raw book and it shows up with Microchamber paper in between the covers?  I suspect this was broken out of a 6.5 slab and sold as a 7.5. Still a nice book.

MM_65_Front.jpg

Update: I found it on Heritage.  It was sold in 2015 in this slab. It was then sold again in September of 2017, raw, but listed by Heritage as a 7.5.  At some point, between September and now, the book received a heavy object crease on the top right of the front cover.  The crease goes through the 1st  few pages.  Should press out or at least be mitigated. <sigh>  Do I keep it, keep it and get it pressed, or return it because it is not as described?

MM_65_Front_CGC.jpg

Depends if the price was right!   Personally I wouldn’t press a GA book.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:05 PM, Badger said:

MM_65_Front.jpg

MM_65_Front_CGC.jpg

I've never had to return a book to Heritage, although I've gotten compensated for slabs that arrived damaged. Just from reading the boards, it seems as if they can be a bit tough on returns of raw books.  But in this instance, I think you have a strong case.  Without the ding, the book was graded as a 7.0 by CGC.  With the ding, it would grade significantly lower -- 6.0 maybe?

So, I would be inclined to return it. Probably best to contact them first via e-mail so you can lay out the whole case in way that might be tough over the phone.

21 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've never had to return a book to Heritage, although I've gotten compensated for slabs that arrived damaged. Just from reading the boards, it seems as if they can be a bit tough on returns of raw books.  But in this instance, I think you have a strong case.  Without the ding, the book was graded as a 7.0 by CGC.  With the ding, it would grade significantly lower -- 6.0 maybe?

So, I would be inclined to return it. Probably best to contact them first via e-mail so you can lay out the whole case in way that might be tough over the phone.

Heritage has always been accommodating when I have had to return a raw book.  Once for undisclosed restoration and once for interior damage that brought the listed grade WAY down.  The only time I had a small problem was when the customer service rep that answered my email forgot to forward it to the comic book division.  Just resulted in a couple weeks delay.