• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the heck are these books? some help with a few books I stumbled on...

19 posts in this topic

I just picked up a small collection a few months back and I am getting my next batch ready to send in to cgc. I have 2 books that I am having trouble identifying. I also have 2 Zap Comix books that I can't determine if I should get them slabbed or not.

First up... is Zap Comix 0 - appears to be a second print. In this condition, yea or nay on the slabbing?

zap-0.jpg

zap-0-bc.jpg

Next I have a Zap Comix 2 that I cannot figure out if its a first or second print. I have been told the first print has a heavier stock paper to the cover. The cover stock is much heavier than the cover on Zap 0. I dont know if that means anything... No one has given me a clear cut way to determine if this might be a first print. If I assume this is a second print - would it still be worth slabbing?

zap-2.jpg

zap-2-bc.jpg

Next book I have not been able to find anything...

I have 2 different printings. One appears to be a First print and a second print. I can't remember which one I scanned. The print quality is a bit different on the covers. But the only way to really tell was the info on the interior pages.

anyone familiar with this book?

para.jpg

Last book that I'm stumped on is this Timothy Leary book from the later 70s I believe. I found one sale on heritage but since I am not a member I have no idea what it sold for. I have no idea of this books value.

neoro.jpg

The 1st, 2nd and 4th are Underground Comix.

True 1st prints of Zap Comix #2 had the "Head First" offset. ComicWiz is the first to notice this error and I'm the one who contacted Donahue about it and got confirmation from him.

should I send in the Zap Comix 2 to cgc? Head First does not appear to be offset. I can read everything fine. How much money are these books worth? More curious about the Neurocomics because it is in stunning condition.

Neurocomics isn't a big ticket item, maybe $10 on eBay, but in nice condition it might be worth slabbing as I doubt there's others on the census.

The true 2nd print of Zap Comix #2 is still pretty hard to find (only 4,500 copies), so if it does have the heavy stock cover then it just might be and might be worth it to get slabbed. I wouldn't bother with the Zap Comix #0 though...

More curious about the Neurocomics because it is in stunning condition.

The Heritage sale...

Sold for: $207.00 (includes BP) Bid Source: Live: Floor

Ended: May 17, 2005

Neurocomics isn't a big ticket item, maybe $10 on eBay, but in nice condition it might be worth slabbing as I doubt there's others on the census.

The true 2nd print of Zap Comix #2 is still pretty hard to find (only 4,500 copies), so if it does have the heavy stock cover then it just might be and might be worth it to get slabbed. I wouldn't bother with the Zap Comix #0 though...

(thumbs u cool thanks. have you ever seen the weird religious one before?

The Heritage sale...

thanks! - That was a 9.6 I believe. I think I'll send it in :wishluck:

I just picked up a small collection a few months back and I am getting my next batch ready to send in to cgc. I have 2 books that I am having trouble identifying. I also have 2 Zap Comix books that I can't determine if I should get them slabbed or not.

First up... is Zap Comix 0 - appears to be a second print. In this condition, yea or nay on the slabbing?

zap-0.jpg

zap-0-bc.jpg

Second printing, as you think. Nay on slabbing.

Next I have a Zap Comix 2 that I cannot figure out if its a first or second print. I have been told the first print has a heavier stock paper to the cover. The cover stock is much heavier than the cover on Zap 0. I dont know if that means anything... No one has given me a clear cut way to determine if this might be a first print. If I assume this is a second print - would it still be worth slabbing?

zap-2.jpg

zap-2-bc.jpg

If the stock is heavier than the 0 - noticeably heavier - it is a first printing. Slab.

If the stock is heavier than the 0 - noticeably heavier - it is a first printing. Slab.

Thanks (thumbs u

The Heritage sale...

thanks! - That was a 9.6 I believe. I think I'll send it in :wishluck:

Yes. It was a 9.6.

Cool books.

I don't have much info on the the religious comic, but it is definitely from India and made to sell originally in India. RS stands for Rupees, which is Indian currency.

One of the ways to promote religion and also Hindu mythology was to make comics and such for the younger generation. In this case, the person on the cover "Paramahansa Yogananda" is not a God (in Hindu belief), but rather a saint or someone that is "holy". For comparison, I would say like a priest.

I have no idea of value, but would be surprised if there is any value.

Also, $1USD = about Rs50 (50 rupees)

Hope this helps

I don't have much info on the the religious comic, but it is definitely from India and made to sell originally in India. RS stands for Rupees, which is Indian currency.

One of the ways to promote religion and also Hindu mythology was to make comics and such for the younger generation. In this case, the person on the cover "Paramahansa Yogananda" is not a God (in Hindu belief), but rather a saint or someone that is "holy". For comparison, I would say like a priest.

I have no idea of value, but would be surprised if there is any value.

Also, $1USD = about Rs50 (50 rupees)

Hope this helps

cool thanks - very interesting... the scanned one was printed in the late 70s and in the collection there was a print that was printed in 1989 at the cost of 5 rupees. very odd find.